For converting files into MP3, you will need LAME – a freeware MP3 encoder which provides high-quality output and fast encoding speeds.
Installing the codec on Windows
- Download the archived encoder from free-codecs.com. Please note: you will need to download the 32-bit version, even if you are using a 64-bit operating system.
- Unzip the archive into a temporary folder.
- Copy the file Lame_enc.dll into the folder containing your Movavi program (usually C:\Program Files\Program_Name).
- You can now delete the temporary folder and archive.
Installing the codec on Mac
- Download the archived encoder from free-codecs.com.
- After the download is complete, unzip the archive, launch the .dmg file and install the codec following the onscreen instructions.
- Restart Movavi Video Converter after the installation is complete.
LAME Encoder, while initially created as a set of patches, has been developed by the open-source community since 1998, and has quickly become one of the most renowned MP3 encoders.
After a codec listening test conducted in 2004 by Roberto Amorim, it was recognized that LAME makes the highest-quality MP3 files at mid-high bitrates (128 kbps and above). The test also established that LAME-encoded 128 kbps MP3 files showed results closest to the original (uncompressed) audio, compared with other encoders. You can find more information on LAME at lame.sourceforge.net.