Edited by Nataly Bogorad
October 14, 2019
Top 7 Best GoPro Alternatives
Are you in search of the best GoPro alternative? Then, get in here let’s have a quick chat! We know GoPro is the first brand that comes to mind when you hear action cameras – and for good reasons too.
GoPro has completely won the hearts of many over with its sleek rugged cameras that come in handy when you want to cover an exhilarating adventure. The brand has stamped its feet on the sands of time as the boss of the action camera industry.
Notwithstanding, it is critical to note that several notable competitors have come a long way to produce GoPro type cameras that boast features which are on the same level with the generic high-end brands. And at a cheaper price. Yes, you read right. You can get everything GoPro offers and even more without breaking the bank.
Contained in this pro guide is a list of 6 top rated action cameras that serve just as good as GoPro Cameras and also come at a far cheaper price.
But before we dive into that tempting pool, let’s get settled with features a good action camera should have to be considered an equivalent of GoPro cameras.
Features to Consider When Buying a GoPro Alternative
Of course, cameras vary in terms of price, value, and quality. And yes, there are many knockoffs and fake cameras out there. That a camera falls under the category labeled ‘high-end cameras’ does not necessarily mean it has all the quality of a pro camera. In the same manner, cameras in the low-end category or budget-friendly category are not necessarily of poor quality. Forget about the price or brand and keep an eye out for these pro features listed below. You will be happy you did.
- Durability. Action cameras, like the name implies, are used for vigorous activities. Therefore, they are made of a different body built compared to conventional cameras. Be sure to choose one that is compatible, lightweight, and water resistant. Typically, action cameras are made to be rugged to stand any condition. This includes long outdoor shoot, filming in the rain and under water. Make sure you buy one that is water resistant or come with a waterproof case. This will save you a whole lot of troubles in the future.
- Frame Per Second (FPS) Rate. The FPS of any camera affects how smooth the videos appear. Most quality cameras come with more than 7 fps. The higher the better. However, 7 fps should be the mark you draw the line between must buy and don’t buy. GoPro or any other quality camera in the market usually come equipped with an fps of 30 to 60. Professionally, that should be the least you should go for. One with 120 or 240 fps is also a great choice.
- Image Stabilization. Although this feature is included in virtually every quality camera out there, it is essential you check if the camera indeed has this cutting-edge feature before placing an order. You do not want to ruin your video session with shaky images, yes?
- Resolution. When it comes to video resolution, cameras with 4K resolution tend to offer the best quality on the planet. And this is one of the highlights of GoPro cameras. They can shoot in 4K. Therefore, it is smart to go for an alternative version with 4K resolution if you want something similar or better than what you get with GoPro. However, it is also great to go for one with 1080p resolution. In fact, most action cameras today come with either 1080p or 4K.
- Battery Life. The aforementioned features are useless if the battery life is poor. What can be more frustrating than running out of battery every now and then? Although most manufacturers will like to withhold this information, you should try researching on the camera’s reviews online. This will give you a good insight into its performance and battery life. A battery that lasts for over an hour is a good start. However, we recommend you get plenty of extras, depending on the occasion.
Top 7 GoPro Competitors
While this isn’t exactly cheap, it is worth being on the list as it gives you the best bang for your buck. Yes, you may have to shell out a few dollars above the conventional budget-friendly action cameras but it does compete well against high-end cameras – and maybe even better than GoPro cameras. The Akaso V50 Pro is furnished with a ton of hardware and software features that makes it run the gamut of high-end cameras yet at the lowest price possible. With this adventure buddy, you can enjoy filming under water for as deep as 30m and at an excellent resolution of 4K, complemented with 30 fps. The image stabilization feature is second to none and it comes with a standard battery life of over an hour. You also get an extra battery, charger, mounting kit, waterproof case, and wrist-mount remote control. Even better, it is equipped with a Distortion Calibration setting that allows users to regulate or eliminate the fisheye distortion seen with most action cameras, especially GoPro cameras. Nonetheless, you will have to pay extra for an additional mic for quality audio recording, especially under water.
With the continuous release of quality yet affordable action cameras, ACTMAN has proven to be one of GoPro’s most active competitors. The ACTMAN 4K Action Camera, for example, comes with a similar small built and features comparable to high-end GoPro cameras. Made of 16MP sensor and up to 4K resolution, the camera is a great choice for shooting HD videos. Furthermore, you do not have to worry about compatibility and durability as this camera is designed to come in handy and also water resistant up to 30 feet. You can shoot under water for as deep as 30 feet and still have your camera intact.
This is yet another excellent GoPro substitute. The YI 4K action camera is popularly known for its HD videos and perfect stills, thanks to the Sony IMX377 sensor. This lightweight buddy boasts an impressive fps rate of 240. An excellent feature for HD videos today. Like GoPro cameras, this GoPro clone is also equipped with multiple shooting modes, electronic image stabilization, replaceable rechargeable battery, easy connectivity, and lots more. You also get a mounting kit and a waterproof housing - without which you can’t take your camera into the pool. An obvious drawback is the sound quality. Not terrible, but can be improved.
Still not satisfied with the aforementioned GoPro imitations? Then, check out this amazing action camera from Chinese brand – EKEN H9R. This is an excellent choice for sports lovers and other adventure seekers who are always out in extreme conditions. The EKEN H9R is solidly structured to withstand harsh conditions, including water. Thanks to the waterproof shield, you can take your camera with you to as deep as 100 feet. You can also strap it to your forehead as you go skiing, biking, and hiking. You do not have to worry about ease of use as the 2-inch LCD screen is very responsive and it also comes with a remote. Easy peasy. Complementing the exceptional video quality (4K/25 fps and 1080p/60 fps) are two rechargeable 1050 mAH batteries that last up to90 minutes each. Another exciting feature of this lightweight buddy is that you can stream your videos live on YouTube or Facebook.
True, this camera will set you back a few dollars but it is undeniably one of the best GoPro competitors out there. This beasty camera is the right buddy for any adventure. It houses every modern feature you need in an action camera. From 4K resolution to water-resistance, easy connectivity, better imaging quality, and tons of features in between, the Sony 4k Action Cam is the guy for the job. If you are yet unsatisfied with our off brand options, then check out our last pick below.
As one of the best action cameras under Garmin’s umbrella, the Garmin VIRBU Ultra 30 was indeed thoughtfully made to fit perfectly in the category of cameras as good as GoPro cameras. This small yet perfectly packed action camera comes with everything you need in an action camera – except the battery life though. It is furnished with excellent video quality, shooting up to 4K recording at 30 fps. This adventure buddy also comes with sophisticated features such as informative overlay, voice recognition, touch screen, image stabilization, and voice control. For a good time out there in the woods, this is the buddy you need with you. Despite these top-notch features, you may have to ignore this choice if short battery life is a deal breaker for you. Users complain the battery doesn’t last up to an hour. That may be due to the number of cutting-edge features packed into it to fit modern style. It isn’t so bad, anyways, as you can easily replace the battery once it is down. It is also critical to know that the camera isn’t waterproof. However, it does come with a water-resistant shield that allows you to take it to as far as 118 feet depth. Just remember to go with the shield though.
There you have it. Our unbiased review of action cameras comparable to GoPro cameras. Each of the cameras listed above provides the basic features of high-end cameras like GoPro and even more, yet you can get them for prices way lower than that of GoPro cameras. Yes, you do not need to go under the knife to enjoy an adventure. Rest assured you can get the best deals from the brands above.
Wondering how to edit videos from your camera? Just use Movavi Video Editor! With this software, you can easily crop and trim parts of your videos, add filters and transitions, and much more. Rest assured Movavi got you covered!
Movavi Video Editor
Creating videos has never been so easy!
- Edit video clips, images, and audio on a timeline
- Add transitions, filters, titles, and callouts
- Use special effects like Chroma Key and Slo Mo
- Export videos in any popular format