Edited by Nataly Bogorad
September 17, 2019
What Does Commercial Photography Entail?
What is commercial photography? Let's look at the definition of commercial photography: it is the creation of high-quality photos for commercial purposes.
Commercial photography requires you to invest in your craft by getting the right equipment and software to help you take crisp photos and edit them properly. With excellent images, rest assured that your clients will keep on coming back and you will attract new ones. Get a studio space which will serve as your working area, storage space, and help you avoid the trouble of renting studio spaces. Build a strong presence, especially online, as this will help you market yourself properly. It will also attract new clients as the work you have already put out will speak for itself.
Here are some examples:
- Commercial Architectural photography: Commercial architectural photography involves taking pictures of buildings and spaces for business purposes.
- Environmental portraits: Environmental portraits entail taking shots of people when they are in their work areas or environment. Such portraits focus attention on the background rather than the subject.
- Headshots: Headshots involve having a photoshoot with people to promote specific services or products. Headshots are very common when it comes to this type of photography, and they require the photographer to make a connection with the subject. Doing so makes the session's fun and quick as you can easily give the subject direction on how to pose at a particular time.
- Product photography: Product photography entails taking pictures of products which are then used by clients/businesses. The shoot is carried out in a studio so that the photographer can control the lighting and the backdrop area.
- Food photography: Food photography is somehow similar to product photography as they both involve taking photos of items for sale, but in food photography, the main thing is food. Another difference between the two is that food photography may include the use of a food stylist. A food stylist, in this case, will help the photographer get the food looking its best for the shot.
- Fashion Photography: Fashion photography involves taking photos of paid models who are advertising a product or service to potential customers.
How to Be a Commercial Photographer
Starting anything new is scary, frustrating and most of all, confusing. You might not know what exactly to do and where to start. The same applies to photography. You might want to become a commercial photographer, but you do not know what is commercial photography.
Before anything else, the main thing you should know when it comes to this type of photography is that your photos will mainly be used for promotional purposes. With this in mind, you must understand that many people will see the photos.
Your clients then hope that the images will create a lasting impression on potential clients. Therefore, as a photographer, you should try as much as possible to get the best shot at any given time. to achieve the perfect shot, you need the services of an easy to use but efficient video editor such as Movavi Video Editor.
Now, here are some tips to guide you on how to get into this business.
1. Establish a Solid Network in the Business
When trying to get your foot into this business, you must put in mind that the trade is freelance. As a freelancer, you are required to find ways of getting clients and securing jobs. One of the most efficient means of getting clients is networking.
As a photographer, you should be willing to embrace networking and use it to your advantage. The first step in networking is getting to know people in the field. Introduce yourself to professionals in the industry as a commercial photographer.
In this new era, social media is an excellent tool for people to network. Put this to use. Create an account on Instagram, Facebook, or any other social media platform. The page should be dedicated entirely to your business. To get people to start following the page, invite your friends to like it, and encourage them to tell other people. You can also pay for advertisements on social media platforms. Using giveaways is also an excellent way to get people to follow your page.
2. Be Willing to Start Small
In any venture, nobody starts at the top. In the beginning, you must be ready to start small and work your way to the top. Using the two or three connections you might get through networking, you can begin as a photographer assistant. By working for someone who has vast experience and expertise in the industry, you will get first-hand knowledge on what it takes to be successful.
As you do this, you will be able to familiarize with potential clients. Doing so will help you when you need to venture out and do your own thing. Many of the people will have known your name, and this can be an excellent opportunity for you to get them as your clients.
3. Get the Right Equipment and Software
Your photography is only as good as your tools. Therefore, you should invest heavily in the tools and software programs you will use in your endeavors. You need to purchase professional-grade cameras. You must also have the proper lenses and lighting gadgets with you every time you are working on a shoot. All of these tools play a vital role in ensuring you get amazing shots for your clients. You will also need to invest in the right editing software. After taking the photos, you will edit them using the software programs and deliver quality photos to your clients.
4. Get Your Studio
After putting yourself out there and realizing a substantial number of people appreciate your work, obtain some space, and set up a studio. Among many other reasons, having a studio helps you build a brand and legitimacy. Clients will know that you are an experienced person who knows what you are doing.
Having a studio will also make you accessible in cases where potential clients would like to make appointments. A studio also goes a long way in ensuring that you have a safe place to keep your photography gadgets.
5. Build a Strong Portfolio
Having all the things mentioned above is essential if you want to get anywhere in the business, but being a photographer mainly boils down to one thing, and that is your photos.
Even when you have the most sophisticated tools and studio, your potential clients will be concerned majorly on the quality of work you put out. Therefore, when trying to attract clients, you need to have a strong portfolio.
You can do this by creating an online presence and use it to showcase the best photos you have ever taken. You can use attractive templates on your website to display and show off your best work. Work hard to grow your network and establish connections with the right people.
Taking photos for commercial purposes is what is considered commercial photography. It is also important to be familiar with the different types of commercial photography before learning to become a professional commercial photographer. A reliable photo editor such as Movavi Photo Editor will come in handy for professional photo production.
Movavi Photo Editor
The easiest way to turn any snapshot into an eye candy
- Improve quality and retouch blemishes
- Add effects and filters
- Crop, straighten, and flip pictures
- Change image backgrounds and remove objects