Screen recording is an important feature on almost any computer, especially for people who want to create screencasts. To help you get started, let’s discuss how to screen-record on your HP laptop with the top screen recorders.
|Movavi Screen Recorder||Easily recording part or all of your screen with microphone or system audio on a PC or Mac|
|Screencapture.com||Capturing a video of your screen online on any OS|
|Loom||Recording your screen online in Google Chrome|
|Xbox Game Bar||Recording gameplay or activity in a single window or application|
|OBS Studio||Capturing screen activity without using a lot of system resources|
|Microsoft PowerPoint||Recording screen activity to add to a PowerPoint presentation|
|Icecream Screen Recorder||Creating digital presentations with recorded screen activity|
|Panopto||Recording and storing screen captures online|
|Clipchamp||Taking screen recordings and making edits online|
|Screencastify||Recording part or all of your screen online in Chrome|
View all programs Hide the table
How to record your screen on an HP laptop with Movavi Screen Recorder
First, let’s walk through the steps for how to screen-record on an HP laptop with Movavi Screen Recorder.
Step 1. Download Movavi Screen Recorder for Windows
Once you’ve downloaded the program, it’s easy to find how to screen-record on your HP laptop. First, you’ll need to run the installation file and follow the steps to install it on your HP.
Step 2. Set your recording parameters
Next, you’ll need to define the area you want to record. Set up your recording parameters by clicking on the Screen recording button on the right (or by pressing F10 on your keyboard). Then, draw a capture frame by holding down the left button on your mouse and dragging it to create a recording window. You can choose to record your whole laptop screen, a single window, or a section of the screen.
Step 3. Choose your audio inputs
Want to record with sound? Select the System Audio icon at the bottom right of your recording area. This will capture the audio from your computer while you’re recording. You can also choose to capture microphone audio by clicking on the Microphone icon.
Step 4. Select your preferred video enhancements
If you’re recording a presentation or a how-to video, you can enhance your recording by selecting the Record Keystrokes, Highlight Cursor, and/or Highlight Mouse Clicks icons. Selecting one or more of these features will help you automatically highlight what you’re doing on the screen, so you don’t have to go back and add animations or other additional steps later. This will help your audience see what you’re doing on the screen and can be helpful for many presentations. You can use these effects to highlight text, demonstrate how to perform a task online, and otherwise elevate your video.
Step 5. Start recording
When you’re ready to start, click on REC at the bottom of your capture window. When you’re done, just click Stop. If you need to pause the recording, the REC button becomes a Pause button while recording. Likewise, you can press F9 to pause, F10 to stop, and F8 to take a snapshot while recording.
Step 6. Edit and save your finished video recording
Once you’ve stopped your recording, a preview video will appear. If you’re happy with your video as it is, you can move on to the next step. You can also click on the Cut button to trim your video, divide it into sections, and/or remove segments. To remove a clip, just hit the Delete button. When you’re done editing your video, click on Export, type in the name you want for your video, choose your preferred format, and click Save.
How to use a built-in HP screen recorder
If you have an Xbox gaming console, you may want to know how to screen-record on your HP laptop or desktop using the Game Bar. Since this application is included with all Windows 10 computers and is available as far back as Windows 7, it’s pretty simple:
- Go to the app or window that you want to record.
- Click on the Widget Menu, select Capture, and choose Start recording (or press the Windows logo key + Alt + R to start recording).
- To toggle the microphone, press the Windows logo key + Alt + M.
- When you’re done, press the Windows logo key + Alt + R again to stop recording.
- To access your video, go to the Gallery under the Widget Menu.
How to use the OBS screen recorder for an HP laptop
If you have an older computer or if you need a program that doesn’t take up a lot of system resources, you may like OBS Studio for your HP screen recorder. Here’s how to screen-record on an HP laptop OBS Studio:
- Download, install and open OBS Studio. If a Scene doesn’t automatically appear, go to the Scenes box at the bottom of the screen and click the + icon.
- Next, click on the + icon in the Sources box (to the right of the Scenes box).
- Go to the Options menu and choose Display capture. In the pop-up box, add a title for your video and click OK.
- In the next pop-up box, select the display you want to record. Then choose your output settings and where you want to save your output video.
- When you’re ready, hit the Start Recording button. When you’re done, hit stop, and your video will save to your chosen destination.
How to screen-record on an HP computer with PowerPoint
Whether you’re using an HP Pavilion, Envy, Probook, or anything in between, you probably have Microsoft PowerPoint. In addition to being the standard for digital presentations, PowerPoint also has a built-in HP screen recorder that can be used to create screen capture videos in slideshows. You can also export those videos to use outside of PowerPoint, as well.
- Open PowerPoint, select a slide, and go to the Insert tab. Choose Screen Recording from the menu.
- Press the Windows logo key + Shift + F to record the whole screen or choose Select Area in the Control Dock and use your mouse to choose the part of your screen you want to record.
- When you’re ready to record, hit Record. You can Pause while recording and Stop when you’re done.
- Your screen recording will import into your PowerPoint presentation.
- To export it, right-click on the video frame and choose Save Media As. Then choose the format and destination, and you’re all set.
How to record a video on an HP laptop with Icecream Screen Recorder
Another way to screen-record on an HP computer is with Icecream Screen Recorder. This free software includes features to mark up a recording in the process, but some users have reported that the program occasionally crashes after about a minute. This could be a challenge if you’re recording a live webinar or another time-sensitive video.
- Download and launch Icecream’s desktop screen recorder.
- To record with audio, click on the Settings widget and go to the Audio tab. Select Record audio and/or Record microphone.
- Click on the Capture video button at the top left of the window. In the dropdown menu, you can choose to record the full screen or a specific area.
- When you’re ready, press F7 or hit the Rec button. When you’re done, press F8 or click the Stop button. Your video will save automatically.
How to record a video on an HP laptop online
What about how to screen-record on an HP laptop without downloading software? If you’re using a public computer or you don’t want to download screen recording software for any other reason, here’s how to record your screen online with Screencapture.com:
- Go to Screencapture.com in a supported browser.
- You’ll see icons for sound and webcam next to a Start Recording button. If you want to record audio and/or your webcam, check the boxes next to these icons.
- Click Start Recording, and a pop-up will appear with options to share part or all of your screen. Choose the option you want.
- When you’re ready to record, click the Share button. When you’re done, click Stop Recording, and your video will save automatically.
- Choose your preferred file format and download your video.
How to record a video on an HP laptop with Panopto
Another online HP screen recorder option is Panopto. You can record your screen for free with this service, but you can’t download recordings directly to your computer. You can, however, access and share your recordings via Panopto’s cloud storage service.
- Create a Panopto account.
- Open the Panopto app in a supported browser.
- Choose webcam, audio, and/or screen source to set your recording parameters.
- Click on the red Record button to start. When you’re done, click it again to stop.
- Your video will save in the cloud through Panopto, and you can now share it via email or directly in Panopto.
How to record a video on an HP laptop with Clipchamp
Some users record and/or stream their laptop screen using Clipchamp. This option offers a free online HP screen recorder and video editing tools, but you have to create an account with Clipchamp to access any of this software. Here’s how to screen-record on an HP laptop with Clipchamp:
- Create a Clipchamp account and open the Clipchamp video editor in a supported browser.
- On the left sidebar, click on Record and Create, and select Screen recording.
- If you don’t want to use your computer’s built-in microphone, click on the microphone icon in the recording panel at the lower-left corner of the screen to choose your audio settings.
- When it’s time to record, click the red Record button.
- A pop-up window will appear with options to choose what you record (entire screen, application, or browser tab). When you’ve made your selection, click Share.
- When you’re done, click Stop sharing or the circular Stop button.
- Click on Add to project. Drag your clip into the timeline in Clipchamp.
- Export your file to save it on your computer.
How to record a video on an HP laptop with Loom
Loom is a Chrome extension for free screen recording online. Chrome users enjoy the convenience of using an easy Chrome extension to grab screen recordings on the fly. Follow these steps to find out how to screen-record on an HP laptop with this extension:
- Install the Loom Chrome extension and launch it in Chrome.
- Select Screen Only or Screen and Camera to choose what you want to record.
- Click Start Recording. You’ll get a three-second countdown before it actually starts.
- When you’re done, click the record button again to stop recording.
- Loom will then provide you with a link to your video, where you can edit, watch, and share it.
How to record a video on an HP laptop with Screencastify
Screencastify is another Chrome extension screen recorder for HP laptops and other computers. It has a similar user experience to Loom, with a couple of differences. Here’s how to record your screen with Screencastify:
- Install the Screencastify Chrome extension and open it in Chrome.
- Click on the Screencastify extension icon. This will open the Recording Control Panel.
- Click on the Desktop icon.
- If you want to record with your microphone and/or embed your webcam footage, toggle these options on. You can also toggle on system audio to capture system sound too.
- When you’re ready to start, click the blue Record button.
- Choose what you want to record and click Share.
- When you’re done, click the stop button and Screencastify will take you to the Video Details Page. Here, you can make edits and share your video.
Summary: How to choose the best screen recorder
So, we’ve walked you through how to screen-record on an HP laptop with all of the top screen recorders available today – how do you choose the best one? While each of the screen recording software options we’ve discussed will do the job, some are better than others for different purposes. Before you choose the first one that comes to mind, here are a few things to consider.
- Features: If you need to perform edits to your screen recording after you’re done, you might want to consider software that includes editing features as well as screen capture capabilities. If you’re just recording a session to refer back to later, you can likely get away with a more bare-bones program. On the other hand, if you’re creating a professional-level presentation or online course, you may want to go with a more robust option.
- Price: Some of the free options here allow you to record a video on an HP laptop, but you have to pay to remove the watermark or access more advanced features. Can you afford to pay for slightly more premium software that will do more for you, or is budget your biggest concern?
- System resource requirements: If you’re working with an HP Pavilion, Spectre, or Elitebook, you might have plenty of memory to spare for a screen recording program. If you’re on a less powerful Chromebook, though, you might want to save space with a Chrome extension or a more powerful editing tool that doesn’t eat up a lot of system resources.
- Customer support: Even the most reliable programs sometimes have glitches, and even the most veteran video maker can run into trouble figuring out how to use a new tool or features. How do you ensure that you’ll always have access to the answers you need as you figure out how to screen-record on an HP laptop with Windows 10, Windows 7, or anything in between? You choose a program with five-star customer support.
Keep these considerations in mind as you decide which program is the best for your screen recording needs. And, if you’re still not sure which to choose, why not download Movavi Screen Recorder for free and try it out?
Frequently asked questions
How do I record my screen and audio on my HP laptop?
Here’s how to record your screen on an HP laptop with audio:
- Download and launch Movavi Screen Recorder.
- Click the Screen recording button or press F10.
- Draw a frame around the area you want to record a video on your HP laptop.
- Select the System Audio icon at the bottom right of your recording area. To record audio with your microphone, click on the Microphone icon.
- When you’re ready to start click on REC at the bottom of your capture window. You can click Pause or press F9 at any time during the recording to pause.
- When you’re done, just click Stop or press F10, and a preview video will appear.
- Make any edits you want to your video, click Export, select a file name and the video file format you want, and click Save.
Can HP computers screen record?
Game Bar is a built-in HP screen recorder that comes with all Windows 10 and newer PCs. It was designed to record gameplay for Xbox users, but it works for recording activity in any app or window on your screen. To screen-record on an HP computer with Game Bar, follow these steps:
- Go to the browser window or app that you want to record on your HP.
- To start recording, hold down the Windows logo key + Alt + R or go to the Widget Menu, choose Capture, and click on Start recording.
- To stop recording, hold the Windows logo key + Alt + R.
- To find your video clip, go to the Widget Menu and click on Gallery.
Sign up for news and special offers