Edited by Nataly Bogorad
February 14, 2020
How to Use TikTok: A Comprehensive Guide
Wondering how to use Musical.ly app or TikTok? Want to know why there are two names for this app? You’ve come to the right place!
We’ll start with a general question – what is TikTok? TikTok is a popular app for sharing videos. There are various types of video content in the app – from lip-sync, dancing, and comedy to sport and cooking recipes. Anyone can find something interesting to watch. And this variety is also great for those who want to share videos of their own – choose a topic, make cool videos, and let everyone enjoy them while you are enjoying tons of views, shares, and likes!
If you’re new to the app and don’t know how to use Musical.ly (or TikTok), this article will help you! You’ll learn how to navigate the app and how to make a good TikTok video. But before we turn to a how-to for TikTok, let’s talk a bit about the app’s name and see why there’s confusion between TikTok and Musical.ly.
Musical.ly or TikTok? Why Did the App Change Its Name?
Originally Musical.ly and TikTok were two separate apps developed by different Chinese startup companies. Both apps were designed for sharing short videos, but the content differed a bit. Users of Musical.ly mostly shared lip-syncing music videos, while content on TikTok wasn’t limited to music videos and extended to comedy, art, dancing, and more.
In 2017 ByteDance – the owner of TikTok – bought Musical.ly and later merged the two apps together. The new app retained the name TikTok and included all user accounts and videos from Musical.ly. So today we have the TikTok app with a huge audience and diverse video content.
How Long Are TikTok Videos?
The standard length of a TikTok video is 15 seconds. For a long time, it was the maximum length for a video recorded within the app. After the recent update, TikTok allows shooting videos up to 60 videos. The maximum length for uploaded videos is also 60 seconds.
What Do People Do on TikTok?
As we’ve mentioned before, TikTok features very diverse content. Here are the most popular types of videos you can find on the app.
- Lip-syncing. Originally it was the main type of videos posted on Musical.ly. Now TikTok has become a more diverse media platform, but videos with people lip-syncing popular songs still make up a big part of posted content.
- Dancing. A lot of talented dancers share their performances on TikTok. So if you’re fond of dancing, you should definitely check out awesome moves people show in their videos.
- Sport. You’ll find a lot of videos with people doing gymnastics, parkour, cheerleading, and other kinds of physical activity.
- Comedy. Everyone loves to watch fun videos, after all one of the main purposes of video-sharing apps is to entertain people. TikTok can offer you loads of fun videos, so don't miss out!
- Challenges. TikTok users often start challenges on various topics. It can be a musical challenge when people show their singing skills. Or it can be a fun challenge like the “Fake Travel Challenge” when people pretended they were on a vacation and made “travel videos” right from their homes.
These are just examples of what people post in TikTok. Surely, you can find videos of different kinds there and enjoy what you like the best.
How to Make a TikTok Video
We’ve discussed popular types of videos you can find on TikTok. But what if you want to post your own recording? Read on to learn how to make a TikTok video. While you can watch videos in TikTok even if you’re not registered in the app, you need to have a TikTok account if you want to share your videos. So sign up, log in, and follow our TikTok how-to guides that will explain how to make a video in the app, on your computer, or a mobile phone.
How to Make a Video in the TikTok App?
TikTok lets you shoot videos directly from the app. Tap the plus icon at the bottom of the app window to activate the camera. Choose one of the time limits for your video – 15 or 60 seconds. Before you start shooting, you can add a music track, effects, and filters. The speed option lets you make the recording playback faster or slower. Tap the red button to start recording right away or click the Clock icon to set the timer.
After you’ve recorded the video, you can add text, stickers, and effects. You can also add music now if you haven’t done it before shooting. Trim the video if you need. Done, now you’re ready to post your video!
How to Make a TikTok Video on My Phone?
If you want to upload a video from your phone, it’s a good idea to edit it first. We recommend using Movavi Clips – a handy video-editing app for Android and iOS. With it, you can join several video clips together, or make a video from photos. Add an audio track from your phone or choose a melody from the built-in music collection. Don’t forget to add filters and stickers. Download Movavi Clips and make your perfect TikTok video in a couple of minutes!
How to Make a TikTok Video on My Computer?
There is no TikTok or Musical.ly for PC, but you can install an Android emulator on your computer and then install TikTok.
TikTok also has a website that you can access from a computer. You can watch videos on the website and upload your own recordings. However, there is no option to record a video directly from the website, you can just upload already recorded videos.
Recording a video is not a problem, but you also have to edit it. Since the TikTok website doesn’t provide any editing tools, you’ll need some editing software. Try Movavi Video Editor Plus – a powerful program with a variety of features for easy video editing. Simply upload your video to the program and add nice filters, transitions, and stickers. The app lets you add music, change the volume and the speed, and delete unwanted parts from the recording. Explore all the features to make a perfect video! The app is available for Windows and Mac.
Great! Now you know how to use TikTok and make a video on your phone or computer. Movavi’s video-editing software is here to help you easily create videos for posting in the app. Use your creativity and show your talent to the world!
Movavi Video Editor Plus
Your next step in video-making
- Edit video clips, images, and audio on a timeline
- Add transitions, filters, titles, and stickers
- Animate objects using keyframes, use more built-in media
- Export videos in any popular format
* The free version of Movavi Video Editor Plus has the following restrictions: 7-day trial period, watermark on the output videos, and, if you’re saving a project as an audio file, an ability to save only half the audio length. Learn more