How to create a YouTube channel
YouTube is clearly today’s most popular video-hosting service, with an audience of billions all over the world. There is no mystery: YouTube owes its success to its simplicity, convenience and accessibility of services. You can watch video clips, and, just as easily, share links to those video clips through social media. If you have your own channel, you extend your options to include uploading: your own videos, and comment on other people’s videos.
You can use your YouTube channel not just for communication and information exchange, but also to promote your brand and attract customers to your website. It’s actually possible to earn a pretty decent income on YouTube if you join their Partner Program.
Before making a YouTube channel, think about a theme or subject that can serve as an “umbrella” for your videos. Consider what you want to communicate about, what you’re interested in and what will spark interest in others. If you’re lucky, it might turn out to match one of the popular trends:
- video blogs with new and informative clips
- video guides, game walkthroughs, and "let’s plays"
- films, viral videos, games and gadgets reviews
- comedy shows, sketches, and stand-up routine
- music videos
If you come up with an original idea for your channel, that could be even more advantageous for you. In making something nobody thought of before, you might wake up famous one day.
Making a YouTube Channel
So how exactly do you make a YouTube channel? Well, you start by going to youtube.com and clicking the Sign in button in the top right corner of the page. If you already have a Google account, then type in your Google email and password in the window that appears and click the Sign In button. If you don’t have an account, go through the Create an account link, fill out your details, and register your account following Google’s instructions.
After logging in or submitting the required information, you’ll be forwarded to the YouTube homepage. Click your profile icon (as shown in the picture) or username in the upper right corner and then select My Channel in the extended menu. Alternatively you can simply click on the My Channel link on the list in the upper left corner of the page. This will take you to the channel creation form, where you can give your channel a name and provide your details as the owner of the channel. Just keep in mind that, if you don’t want the channel to be named after you, choose a link to use a business or other name click here under Last Name column.
Now that you’ve created a blank channel, you can start creating a visual identity for it. Click the Add Channel Art button and pick a YouTube channel background: you can either select one from the suggestions on the site or create a custom one using content from your own PC or Google+ account. The recommended resolution is 2560 x 1440 pixels, but you can use different sizes too - just make sure it’s no smaller than 2048 x 1152 pixels. Once you’ve finished your YouTube page design, customizing your channel settings is the next step.
To customize your YouTube channel settings hover the mouse cursor under the channel banner. When the pencil icon appears, click on it and select Channel Settings. Edit the settings you need and hit Save.
If you’re wondering how to make a new YouTube channel, with a different name or topic from your first one, you can go to YouTube settings in the drop-down menu on the main page and click the Create New Channel link.
Congratulations! Now you have your own YouTube сhannel and can upload new and interesting videos whenever you want. Here are some useful tips for preparing and uploading videos to your YouTube channel that will attract attention and bring you viewers:
- Looking for licensed stock footage for your videos? Try the VideoBlocks stock footage collection. Clips from here can be used to create videos for any purpose for a small subscription fee.
- Not sure which format is best for uploading your video? You don’t have to be a professional to save your video in a particular format - just download Movavi Video Converter and follow our step-by-step guide on uploading videos to YouTube.
- Want to make your video dynamic and exciting? Add subtitles and music, apply special effects and connect the different elements with smooth transitions. It’s all easy with Movavi Video Editor and our guide to creating your own movie.
- Want to upload video guides to your channel to attract new viewers and subscribers? Movavi Screen Capture will help you to make a video lesson on any topic and our guide to creating video lessons will show you how to make your creation a winner.
- Wondering how to promote your YouTube Channel? You can find a lot of useful information in the YouTube Creator Playbook.
All of the software mentioned above is included in the Movavi Video Suite, a comprehensive video processing package which is simple enough for everyday use, but powerful enough to create stunning videos. It has everything you want, but nothing more. Find out more on the Movavi Video Suite page.
Movavi Video Suite
- Edit video, create slideshows
- Capture screencasts or streaming web
- Convert media files and DVDs
- Save video for viewing on mobile devices
- Play back video and audio
- Burn discs, share video online
Software Trusted in 150 Countries
Movavi has been developing video processing software since 2004. Our programs are trusted in 150 countries including the US, Japan, and Europe. We guarantee high quality of our software and safety of payments on our website.
Subscribe on YouTube
Watch video tutorials on the Movavi's official channel: