How to Monetize YouTube Videos
Like making videos? Well, you’re in luck your hobby can also become a great source of income. All you need to do is create a channel on www.youtube.com, upload your videos - and open up your wallet to take in all the money!
There are two legal ways of YouTube monetization: participating in a Partner Program and paid product placements. We’re going to explain more about both options below.
Option 1. Participating in a Partner Program
The most common way of monetizing YouTube videos is to sign up for the Partner Program. This causes blocks of advertisements by Google AdSense to appear in your videos. You will be able to choose the ads’ subject matter and also to specify which videos are going to show the ads. From this point on everything is fairly simple: the more people click the ad weblink, the more money you get.
How to Start Making Money out of Ads
- First, make sure that the YouTube Partner Program is available in your country. To do this, simply follow this link.
- If your country is on the list, your next step is to get monetization approval from YouTube. Click your profile icon in the top-right corner of the page, and select the Creator Studio icon. In the vertical menu, click Channel, and hit Apply next to the Monetization section. You’ll be forwarded to the Interest form which you should complete and submit. If your application is approved, you’ll receive all the instructions in an email from YouTube support, and the Monetization settings section will become accessible in your account.
- Even if your country is on the approved list but after pressing Apply you are still told that the Monetization feature is inaccessible, go instead to the YouTube Product forum. This is a known issue among users and you will most likely find help there.
How to Guarantee an Approval
Your account must be in good standing. Go to the Dashboard and open the Channel settings tab. Do the notes under Account status say that you have good standing with Community guidelines and Copyright? If so you have nothing to worry about!
Also, keep in mind that you have to own all the rights for the videos you’re publishing online. YouTube’s regulations prohibit using advertisements in a copy of someone else’s video even if you have express consent of the owner to earn money from their creation.
Main advantage of this method: Participation in the Partner Program won’t require any real work from you, the channel’s owner. All you need to do is sign up and then the system will take care of everything else.
Main disadvantage: As with the majority of other partner programs, YouTube’s program has a minimum threshold for withdrawing funds - 100 USD. It means that the system won’t let you withdraw money until you have at least 100 USD in your account. If your channel has already gained a certain degree of popularity and your videos are viewed by hundreds of thousands people a day, then earning such a sum will be no problem. Beginners, though, will have a harder time building up this much from scratch. So if a deadline is nearing and the amount in your account is not even close to this minimum, you should probably consider a different way to monetize your videos.
Option 2. Paid Product Placement
If you are unsure about trusting the Partner Program with your money you can always control the advertising process yourself. You’ll need to find a sponsor who will be interested in buying promotional airtime in your video and negotiate the ad format yourself: it might be a detailed video review of their goods and services, or a subtle product placement in the form of an object with the sponsor’s logo somewhere in the frame.
You should remember, though, that YouTube’s Terms and Conditions state that you are not allowed to advertise through their website unless you have a preliminary approval from YouTube administrators.
It can be hazardous to work with sponsors without YouTube representatives’ approval: breaking the regulations can lead to sanctions against you, even including your account being blocked. So it’s a good idea to reach out to YouTube representatives and find out if they are OK with your plans before you actually start looking for sponsors.
Main advantage: Financial independence. You’re the only one who decides how much promotional airtime in your videos will cost, and when and how it’s going to be paid for.
Main disadvantage: Finding sponsors and negotiating with them can take up a lot of time.
So, now that you know about both ways of monetizing on YouTube, you may be asking yourself whether it’s possible to combine the two. Even though it doesn’t go against the website’s regulations, we would not recommend using both of these methods simultaneously. An excess of ads is unlikely to be to your audience’s liking. You will earn much more if you choose one of them and then develop your YouTube marketing strategy to gain as many subscribers as you can.
Broadening your channel’s audience is its own complex and time-consuming task that demands expert knowledge. You can, however, take a first step in that direction right now! Here are some useful tips for creating and editing popular videos for YouTube.
- Stock video footage. In recent years YouTube had been known for its aggressive copyright protection stance. If its system identifies as much as a theme from another copyrighted source, you instantly get a strike against your channel. A good way to avoid such hassles is to have a source of licensed stock footage like VideoBlocks which you can use in any way and profit from to your heart’s content.
- Video Montage. You can turn camera footage into stylish and fancy films with Movavi Video Editor. Just download the software, read the instructions on how to make a home movie and soon you’ll be able to edit like a pro.
- Capturing screen video. Want to make a batch of video tutorials? All you need to do is to familiarize yourself with Movavi Screen Capture Studio - an immensely useful program for capturing video from a PC screen. Our tutorial on how to create a video guide will help to fill your channel with quality video lessons, with minimum time and effort.
- Recording gameplay Planning to make a Let’s play? Movavi Game Capture will come in handy to do that. With this easy-to-use software, you can record gameplay from Skyrim, Sims, and other game hits in no time. Our tutorial on how to capture gameplay will help you to learn about the process.
- Uploading on YouTube. Our Movavi software always contains an option to upload video directly from the program interface. Even if you want to use a video that wasn’t created using Movavi software, you can always use Movavi Video Converter to save your video in a format suitable for YouTube and, in just a couple of clicks, upload it to your channel.
Movavi Video Converter
- Convert between 180+ formats
- Save video for 200+ devices
- Extract audio from video
- Do basic editing tasks
- Share files online
Movavi Video Suite
- Edit video, create slideshows
- Capture screencasts or streaming web
- Convert media files and DVDs
- Save video for viewing on mobile devices
- Play back video and audio
- Burn discs, share video online
Software Trusted in 150 Countries
Movavi has been developing video processing software since 2004. Our programs are trusted in 150 countries including the US, Japan, and Europe. We guarantee high quality of our software and safety of payments on our website.
Subscribe on YouTube
Watch video tutorials on the Movavi's official channel: