How to blur a face in a video with Movavi Video Editor
Step 1. Download and install Movavi Video Editor
Get the latest version of Movavi Video Editor for Windows or Mac and install it on your device. The program will open automatically after the installation.
Step 2. Import your video
Click Add Files to import your videos to the program or just drag your clips into the program’s window. Your videos will appear in the Project files section. Drag them to the Timeline before you start working with them. You can also use default video clips from the Sample videos section.
Step 3. Choose your motion tracking tool
Before you apply motion tracking, select one of the tools to blur out a face in a video. Here in this example, we’re using Blurred ellipse. If you want to apply the same effect, go to More tools, then select Blurred ellipse in the Highlight and conceal section. Add this effect to your clip and adjust the ellipse’s size and position.
You can also use other tools to blur a face in a video: pixel ellipse/rectangle, non-transparent black ellipse/rectangle, and more. Use a clear ellipse/rectangle if you want to blur the background of your video.
If you want to apply a different effect, check out the Elements tab for amazing themed stickers and overlays that you can use to cover a person’s face. The process is the same for any element/effect you choose. We’ll proceed with our blurred ellipse.
Step 4. Blur a person’s face or any other object
Here’s how to blur an object in a video. While you’re still in your ellipse’s settings window, go to the Motion tracking tab and select one of the three options available: Quick, Precise, or AI-powered method. While creating this guide, we used the AI feature. Put the frame on the face that you want to blur throughout your video and click Track. You can see the result in the Preview window.
Step 5. Export your video
When you are satisfied with the result, click Export. In the window that appears, you can choose the output format and video quality. Click Start to save your video.
Frequently asked questions
What is motion tracking?
Motion tracking is a technology used in video editing that analyzes pixels in a frame to make it possible to follow the position of a moving object throughout a video. Motion tracking is often used to pin an effect to a moving object – a sticker, a blurring mask, and other effects.
How do I blur a moving object in a video?
You can blur a moving object (a person’s face, a number, personal information) with Movavi Video Editor. Follow these steps:
- Download and launch Movavi’s editor.
- Add your videos to the program and drag them to the Timeline.
- Go to the More tools tab and select one of the tools in the Highlight and conceal section. Pixel/blur ellipse and rectangle is the best choice for your purpose. Drag the effect on your video and adjust the size and position.
- Now go to the Motion tracking tab, select the desired tracking method, and click Track.
- Check the result in the Preview window and save the video.
How do I blur the background of a video?
Background can be blurred with the help of the motion tracking functionality. Here’s how to blur the background of your video in Movavi Video Editor.
- Download and install Movavi Video Editor.
- Import your clips to the program and drag them onto the Timeline.
- Go to More tools and find the Highlight and conceal section. To blur the background of your video, it’s best to use a clear ellipse or rectangle – the area around it will be blurred. Add the effect to your video and adjust its size and position.
- Proceed to the Motion tracking tab, select a tracking method, then click Track.
- Save the result by clicking Export.
How do I put a sticker on a moving object?
Use the motion tracking technique. Movavi Video Editor offers three ways you can use the motion tracking feature: quick, precise, and AI-powered modes. Here’s how you pin a sticker to an object in Movavi Video Editor:
- Download and install the program.
- Import your clip and drag it onto the Timeline.
- Choose a sticker from the Elements section and add it to your clip.
- In the sticker settings, open the Motion tracking tab and select the suitable method to track an object.
- Adjust the size and position of the frame and click Track.
- That’s it! Export your video.
Sign up for news and special offers