yv12 codec's Home Page: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/
YV12 QuickTime Codec 1.0a2 probably won't be all that useful to anyone who isn't involved in developing image processing or compression/decompression software. YV12 is a planar Y'CbCr 4:2:0 image format, and is often used as an intermediate format by reference codecs such as the ISO/IEC MPEG-4 video decoder reference code.
It's not a very good choice for end users, because it doesn't really compress video that much, and it stores pixel data in a manner that's not particularly convenient for playback.
That said, you might find this codec useful if you're a developer working in image processing. As mentioned above, YV12 is a planar format, meaning that for each image, the luma data for all pixels is stored consecutively, followed by the chroma data - this method of accessing pixel components is convenient for many image processing techniques.
Get Videos in the Format You Need with
Movavi Video Converter
- Convert video and audio between 170+ formats
- Save movies for 200+ portables
- Upload video to YouTube and Facebook
- Create HTML pages with embedded video
- Split, crop, rotate, add watermark
- Adjust video quality
- Get video converted automatically
- Preview conversion results
- Process video up to 800% faster with NVIDIA CUDA
Why not go ahead and try Movavi Video Converter today?