Edited by Ben Jacklin
April 28, 2022
Overwatch is well-known for producing great highlights. Whether it’s a team kill soloed by Genji or a D.Va ult flying right into the well on Ilios, we love watching this on Rapida and Best of Overwatch.
To be one of those lucky guys on YouTube, you have to figure out how to record a Play of the Game in Overwatch, save the finest moments, and send them to your favorite channel. Or you can even create your own show. With Gecata by Movavi, everything is possible. Our team is dedicated to bringing you screen recording software that doesn’t require a degree in videography. You won’t need to search for optimal settings for frame rates and resolution – this app is ready to capture the gameplay in high quality as soon as it’s installed.
Gecata will serve as a great Overwatch recording software on a PC. To learn how to use it, read the instructions below.
How to record Overwatch games with Gecata by Movavi
Step 1. Install and launch the software
Download the installation file from this page, launch the file, and follow the on-screen instructions. When the installation is done, click Start.
Step 2. Adjust the basic recording settings
Gecata enables recording Overwatch gameplay along with system sounds, your webcam, and sound from your mic. To use these features, click the Microphone and Webcam icons, and make sure the devices are active. If you have multiple microphones or webcams, select the ones you want to use from the lists above the icons. Make sure that Game mode is selected in the main window. In this mode, recording will start as soon as you launch the game and will end automatically when you quit it. Now we’re ready to start!
Step 3. Record your gameplay
To make sure you don't miss any highlights, we recommend you record entire game sessions. To do this, click Start Recording before you launch the game, then open the Battle.net launcher and start Overwatch. When you exit the game, the recording will stop automatically, provided you were using Game mode. Alternatively, you can click the Stop button in the Gecata window to stop recording at any time.
You can also start, pause, or stop recording right in the game by using the hotkeys. Press F10 to start or stop recording and F9 to pause or resume. Other useful hotkeys are F8 (to take an instant screenshot) and F11 (to display an overlay showing your FPS, duration of the recording, and space left on your hard disk).
How to save your Overwatch highlights? Whenever you stop recording, the program saves the video to a folder on your computer. By default, it’s Videos\Gecata by Movavi. You can access it by clicking the Folder icon. You’ll find all your Overwatch recordings there, saved in the MP4 format.
Now you know how to record Overwatch games. Share your highlights online for everyone to see and marvel at!
If you want to make a high-quality recording of Overwatch gameplay, here are some tips:
- Use appropriate gear. To properly record game footage, you'll need to find the ideal mix of quality and performance. Keep in mind that high-quality recording of a game with high graphics settings requires a powerful PC.
- Consider using a capture card. There's no need for a capture card if you're simply going to record your gaming on a PC. To record footage from consoles and cameras, however, an internal or external video capture card is required. External capture cards are more portable, easier to use, and often less expensive than internal cards. Internal capture cards are directly connected to the motherboard, allowing for quicker data transfer and increased reliability.
- Find the best recording software for you. There are plenty of free and open-source screen recorders that perform really well. However, if you're not pleased with free software and want to upgrade, make sure to read user reviews and check out the trial version before purchasing a recorder.
- Optimize recording settings. Video quality is directly affected by resolution, frames per second (FPS), and bitrate. The best recording settings are 1080p resolution, 60 FPS, and a bitrate of 10 MB per second. If your PC still has trouble gaming and filming at the same time, reduce the resolution to 720p and the framerate to 30 fps.
Gecata by Movavi
Simple and solid game recorder and streaming program
Frequently asked questions
How do you record Overwatch on PC?
To capture your gameplay with Gecata by Movavi, do as follows:
- Install and launch the program.
- Adjust the microphone and webcam settings to grab both audio and video.
- Click Start Recording and Stop to begin and end the recording respectively.
What is a Play of the Game in Overwatch?
A Play of the Game (also known as PotG) is, according to the in-game algorithm, a player’s action that greatly changes the game. Players can see these moments highlighted after each mach.
See other useful how-to guides
Sign up for news and special offers