Top 10 Best Game Recording Software
Let’s face it, playing video games on your own is boring. Thank goodness there are lots of gaming programs designed especially for gamers to share their gaming experience and even play with others. But because there are tons of these game recording software out there, all of which claim to be the best screen recorder for games, how do you choose what’s right for you? Which program actually contains all the important features you need for capturing gameplay? Come along with us as we take a look at a number of game capturing programs, any of which might be considered the best game recording software on the market.
But first let’s take a look at some of the important features we should look out for as we analyze the best game capture software solutions.
Features to Look for When Choosing Good Game Recording Software
- The FPS speed supported is of the utmost importance, as this goes a long way towards affecting the quality of the video recordings. Good game recording software must support up to 60 FPS.
- For beginners especially, you might want to consider if the game recording program includes benchmark-setting, as this helps to alleviate the stress associated with the complicated settings used by most game recording software.
- It is useless to buy the best screen recorder for games if it doesn't come with a user-friendly interface. Ease of navigation should be one of your top priorities as you seek out the best game capturing software for your needs.
- While it might look trivial, the price of a gaming program is also an important consideration. Why spend a lot of money when you can get all the essential features of good game recording software for a lot less?
- The video format is yet another point to consider. Who wouldn’t want a high-quality video?
Top 10 Best Screen Recorders for Games
With that said, let’s take an in-depth look at the following game capture software programs.
Movavi’s Gecata is a game recording software designed especially for recording gameplay time in HD. This easy-to-use screen recorder for games is complete with lots of features that make it stand out from the crowd of game recorders available online. Gecata offers its users the opportunity to record gameplay at up to 60 frames per seconds (FPS). The benchmark settings allow you to adjust the recording setting to your preferred style and record videos in different formats. too.
- Records videos in high definition.
- Records gameplay in multiple video formats.
- The free version includes watermarks in all recorded videos.
Of course Bandicam makes it to our top ten list of best game capture programs for video games. This game recording software is designed to allow users to record video games at different qualities – 2D, 3D, and HD. It has an easy-to-use interface that both beginners and professionals can enjoy for real-time game recording on their PCs.
- Supports the addition of the mouse effect.
- Enables users to record from external devices connected to their PC.
- Video compression is supported.
- Includes multiple codec formats.
- Supports video compression for small files.
- Does not limit video recordings to any specific duration.
- Online streaming of games is not supported.
- Lag issues can sometimes arise while recording video games.
- The trial version limits gameplay recording to about 10 minutes.
Fraps is one of the best gaming programs to capture the playing experience that is equipped with an FPS counter so gamers can monitor their performance while playing. Although the free version limits the use of some of its features, with a onetime payment you can enjoy all of its amazing features with no restrictions.
- Comes with a built-in FPS counter.
- Watermark is included in the recorded videos.
- The free trial version limits game recording to about 30 minutes.
This is a good game recording app, and is best known for its ability to produce high-quality videos. The GoPlay Editor is a sure bet for capturing live footage of any 3D video games on your PC. It is packed with lots of features that enable you to edit your gameplay to your desired taste.
- Unlike most screen recording for games, GoPlay saves you some megabytes as it records every video game in compressed form.
- It provides access to a larger audience, as it is available in 52 different languages, making it one of the best game recording programs for just about anyone.
- It is designed to allow users to add mouse click effects and animation to every recorded game.
- It records gameplay in multiple video formats.
- Live streaming is not supported.
- It includes watermarks on every recording in Free Trial mode.
This lightweight game recorder is one of the best screen recorders for games out there. It offers users the opportunity to record ongoing video games and enables them to customize each recorded video to their preferred style. The LoiLo game recorder is good game recording software, and includes features that allow you to capture live footage from your PC.
- There is no time limit for recording video games.
- It supports sharing of gameplay on platforms like YouTube.
- There is a minimal performance loss compared to other game recording software.
- It comes with a user-friendly interface.
- There is no cost for accessing the key features.
- The program is not compatible with Windows Vista and XP.
Action! is one of the best game recording programs out there. This easy-to-use screen recorder for games is designed to support real-time game recording in high definition. Unlike its competitors, it doesn’t take much time to find the right configuration, which makes it a great entry game capture program for beginners and experts alike. One striking feature among its many amazing qualities is its provision to users of stable recording compared to its competitors. This gaming software is compatible with any version of Windows and supports more than one video format – AVI and MP4. Although it comes at a cost, it is packed with amazing features that make it worth it after all. Users can also stream videos on different platforms such as YouTube, Livestream, Ustream, etc.
- Stable performance while recording.
- Supports live streaming on different platforms.
- Enables users to customize recorded videos.
- User-friendly interface.
- Videos are recorded in HD.
- You will have to monitor the recording to be sure it is of high quality.
- It’s a hassle converting the recorded video games.
- Gameplay recording is limited to 10 minutes in the free trial mode.
- Frame rates cannot be customized.
- Action! requires a decent spec machine to function properly.
- It is not equipped with as many personalization options as most screen recorders for games.
No list of best game capture software would be complete without Open Broadcaster Software (OBS). This game recording program for PCs is best known for its support of live streaming and high-quality video game recordings. Unlike most gameplay recording software, OBS is available to anyone at no cost and allows for an unlimited video game recording session. What’s more, the program comes with the ability to record games in multiple video formats – MP4 and FLV – and it is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux. It also comes with a variety of video frames, enabling users to edit gaming videos to their desired taste.
- Users are provided with the opportunity to stream games live on different platforms such as YouTube, Facebook Live, Twitch, etc.
- OBS enables users to record gameplay in high definition (HD).
- It contains no additional watermark.
- It offers quick screen game recording for all PC users.
- It enables users to capture, mix, and edit game videos to their preferred style.
- It also allows users to duplicate existing videos, add new sources, and adjust the video properties even.
- Scenes are sometimes difficult to build.
- It lacks a user-friendly interface compared to other game recording software.
XSplit Gamecaster is a user-friendly yet powerful game recording program that can also be used for streaming and is compatible with Twitch. The program chooses the appropriate recording settings according to your computer’s properties, so this is a good choice for those who don’t want to go into the details of setting up video. You can start recording in one click and then share your video on social media. Plus, there are plenty of extra features like watermarks, social media integration, and picture-in-picture mode.
- 24/7 support from the professionals.
- Great built-in video editor.
- Streaming and recording in one program..
- In-game overlay feature.
- Chroma key support.
- You’ll have to get a monthly subscription to unlock the advanced features.
- The overall cost is higher than average.
Dxtory has fast become famous for the loads of features it offers while still remaining a lightweight program: its minimalist design and clear interface help users quickly understand how all the many features work. This program captures lossless video art the highest possible quality, so it will require a lot of free space on your hard drive. As for the writing speed, the developers have come up with an exciting Distribution Writing function that lets you boost the writing speed by selecting multiple storage destinations.
The program is extremely flexible, and you can use just the features you need the most. Choose video codec, FPS (up to 120!), sizes, formats, and even the amount of pressure the recording puts on your GPU or CPU.
- Separate audio stream recording.
- First-class customization options.
- Lossless video capture.
- In-game overlay feature.
- Rapid screenshot function.
- Some say the program drops frames when recording at high FPS, so start by testing the trial version on your PC.
- Not for those who want simple solutions.
I would say I saved the best for last, but they all have unique features that make them stand out in different ways. This game recording program is especially designed to cater to the needs of gamers who have GeForce GPUs installed in their PCs. Until now, gamers with Nvidia graphics cards had to use 3rd party programs to record their gameplay, but that is no longer the case, as Nvidia has designed Shadowplay to its users with the ability to save videos even from past scenes. Nvidia Shadowplay is one of the best screen recorders for games, as it provides users with quality video recording. One of its most amazing features is the ‘instant replay feature,’ which most of its competitors lack.
- Users can stream from the internet freely.
- Supports shadow time in every game recorded.
- No purchase needed to enjoy its amazing features.
- There is no time limit for game recording.
- It does not include watermarks.
- Supports an instant replay feature.
- User-friendly interface.
- Works for gamers with Nvidia graphics cards only.
- Fewer features than its competitors.
There you have it – our list of the top 10 best game recording software programs. I guess the decision-making process is a lot easier now, knowing all of their features, pros, and cons. All you have to do now is take your pick and give us your feedback on its performance. Have fun!