How to convert MP4 to GIF in high quality on Windows and Mac with Movavi
Edited by Ben Jacklin
February 10, 2022
With mobile messengers and social networks being so popular and in wide use, an animated image may be perfect for illustrating your reaction or current mood in an online conversation. GIFs are usually short few-second clips cut from a movie, cartoon, or other videos.
The guide below explains how to convert MP4 to GIF, but the instructions are the same for any other video format. Download Movavi Video Converter for Windows or Mac and turn your MP4 to GIF right away or use the MP4-to-GIF converter online!
Step 1. Install the GIF maker
Download the MP4-to-GIF converter from the Movavi website and follow the on-screen instructions to install the program.
Step 2. Add a video to the program
Click the Add Media button, then choose Add Video, and select the file you want to turn into a GIF.
Step 3. Choose a fragment
GIFs are usually short in length, which means you may need to cut just a small segment from a longer video. To start cutting out your clip, click the Edit button to the right of the imported file.
In the window that opens, place the marker on the timeline to indicate the beginning of the section you want to extract. Click the Scissors icon to cut the video and split it into two parts. Select the part you don't need and hit the Trash Can icon to delete it. If you need to trim the ending as well, then place the marker at the end of the section fragment and do the same. When the footage is the way you want it, click Save and Close.
Step 4. Set GIF as the export format
Click the Images tab and change the preset from MP4 to GIF. Depending on your needs, you can also choose a preset for the desired size.
Step 5. Start turning MP4 into GIF
Hit the Save to button to specify the output folder for the image. When all the adjustments are done, click Convert and wait for the program to export the file. Once the conversion is complete, the folder with your GIF file will open automatically.
Now you know how to transfer MP4 to animated GIF with Movavi Video Converter. Build your own library of high-quality animation files and start sharing them with your friends on social media!
MP4 vs. GIF
|Format type||Video format||Image format|
|OS compatibility||Windows, macOS, iOS, Android||Windows, macOS, iOS, Android|
View all parameters Hide the table
Frequently asked questions
How can I convert MP4 to GIF in HD quality?
Movavi Video Converter allows you to save MP4 as GIF easily. You can try it out using our simple guide:
Download Movavi Video Converter on your device and follow the installation instructions.
- Click Add Media, then choose Add Video, and select your MP4 file.
- Open the Images tab and pick the GIF output format. You can also choose presets of different file sizes.
- Click the Save to button to specify the output folder. After that, hit Convert to start the process. Once the conversion is complete, the folder with your GIF file will open automatically.
How can I convert MP4 to GIF on Windows?
You can make MP4 into GIF using the video converter from Movavi, just follow these steps:
Download Movavi Video Converter for Windows and follow the on-screen installation guide.
- Click the Add Media tab, then choose Add Video, and select your MP4 file.
- Open the Images tab, then the GIF button and select one of the presets, depending on what file size you want.
- Click the Save to button and specify the output folder. After, hit Convert to start the conversion process. Once it’s done, the folder with your GIF file will open automatically.
Here you go! Now you know how to change MP4 to GIF simply.
How can I convert MP4 to GIF on Mac?
If you want to turn an MP4 into a GIF, try out our video converter. You can follow these simple steps:
Download Movavi Video Converter for Mac and follow the installation instructions.
- Click Add Media, then Add Video and select your MP4 file.
- Open the Images tab and choose the GIF output format. Here, you can pick a specific preset, suitable for your preferred file size.
- Click Save to and specify the output folder. Then hit Convert to start the process. The folder with your GIF file will open automatically.
How can I convert MP4 to GIF with Photoshop®?
Apart from editing, Photoshop® is also capable of converting MP4 to GIF. Follow these instructions if you want to know how to do it:
- Open Photoshop®, click on File, then Import, and then Video Frames to Layers.
- Choose your MP4 file and click Open. Here, you can choose to import the whole video or only a part of it. Make sure to check the Make Frame Animation box.
- Go to File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy). Choose one of the GIF presets or choose the GIF option underneath the presets. Then, click Save.
Here you go! Now you will be able to make GIFs from MP4 anytime.
How can I convert MP4 to GIF with FFmpeg?
FFmpeg is a suite of software for handling various multimedia files and streams. You use it as a free MP4-to-GIF converter as well.
Here is how to convert MP4 to GIF with FFmpeg:
Download and install FFmpeg in your system.
- Open the terminal and go inside the folder that contains your MP4 file.
- Then, you enter the following command: ffmpeg -i filename.mp4 filename.gif
- The new file will appear in the same folder as your MP4 file.
That’s it! Now you know how to turn an MP4 into a GIF with FFmpeg.
What is the best MP4-to-GIF converter?
There are a lot of good conversion services on the market. If you don’t know which one to pick, check out our selection of services you can use to create a GIF from MP4:
- Movavi Video Converter
All of these services will allow you to easily convert MP4 to animated GIFs and will suit your needs.
How can I convert MP4 to GIF with WhatsApp?
If you’re wondering how to turn MP4 into GIF with WhatsApp, follow this simple guide:
- Open a conversation.
- Tap the Paperclip icon on the bottom right.
- Select Gallery.
- Choose an MP4 file you want to convert.
- The video editor will appear. Tap the GIF switch on the top right.
- Edit the video.
- Tap the green arrow to send your GIF.
Can I convert MP4 to GIF with sound?
Yes, you can, despite the fact that GIF is an image format that doesn’t support sound. So, in the case of MP4-to-GIF conversion, the output file will contain only video with no sound. However, it is possible to add music to GIFs via some services on the Internet.
How can I convert MP4 to GIF in 60 FPS?
Do you want to have a smooth experience with your GIF files? Then, just follow our guide and convert MP4 to GIF in high quality and 60 FPS with Movavi Video Converter:
Download the MP4-to-GIF converter from Movavi and follow the installation instructions.
- Click Add Media, then Add Video and select your MP4 file.
- Click the Images tab and select one of the GIF presets, depending on what file size you need.
- Click Save to and choose the output folder. Then hit Convert to start the process. The folder with your GIF file will open automatically.
Alternatively, you can convert MP4 to GIF online using the tool on this page.
Can I convert MP4 to GIF lossless?
You can convert .mp4 to .gif lossless using Movavi Video Converter. Make sure to check out the link below.
Sign up for news and special offers