How to Mirror a Video
Edited by Pat Bitton
April 3, 2020
When shooting a video, it's hard to remember everything you need to do to ensure the results are what you expected. If you miss just one rule or tip, you could end up with unanticipated challenges at the editing stage: the composition of a frame may be a little off, the light may be coming from the wrong side, etc.
If you were working with still photography, you know this would be an easy fix with a simple horizontal or vertical flip in a graphics editor. Fortunately, Movavi Video Editor can do the same for your video files – so if you didn’t know how to mirror a video or flip it upside down, now you can!
Download Movavi Video Editor for PC or Mac, read our manual, and learn to fix your video’s orientation in less than 5 minutes.
Install the Video Flipper
Download the program file, double-click to unpack it, and follow the guidelines in the pop-up window to complete the installation. Launch the app to get started with flipping your video.
Add Your Files to the Timeline
In the launch window select New project. Then click Add Media Files and locate the file you want to mirror. The video clip will be added on the Timeline at the bottom of the program window. Thanks to the extended format support, you can mirror a video of almost any type, including camera footage, HD and Ultra HD video files, and cell phone video.
Apply the Mirror Effect to Your Movie
Open the Filters tab and choose the Adjustments category. To invert the video horizontally or vertically, drag and drop the Flip ↔ or Flip ↕ effect onto the clip on the timeline. You will be able to see the result in the preview window right away. To remove the flip effect, click on the small star icon on the video on the Timeline, select the unwanted effect(s) and click Remove. If you’re inspired to continue tweaking your video, you can also rotate your video by 90 degrees or 180 degrees, crop it, or even add a distortion effect.
Save the Transformed Video
Click the Export button and select the desired export option from the tabs in the left part of the pop-up window. You can export videos in any popular format: MP4, MOV, AVI and many others. To save your video click Start.
And that’s all it takes! Now you know how to flip a video. Movavi Video Editor is not just the easiest software for mirroring videos – there’s a whole lot more you can do with it as well. Check it out for yourself!
Movavi Video Editor
Creating videos has never been so easy!
- Edit video clips, images, and audio on a timeline
- Add transitions, filters, titles, and callouts
- Use special effects like Chroma Key and Slo Mo
- Export videos in any popular format
* The free version of Movavi Video Editor has the following restrictions: 7-day trial period, watermark on the output videos, and, if you’re saving a project as an audio file, an ability to save only half the audio length. Learn more
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. One of the ways to create a mirror image of a video on an iPhone is with the help of Apple’s iMovie. The app is free for anyone using a device running iOS 7 or higher and lets users easily apply a mirror effect.
You can easily create a mirror image using Movavi Photo Editor. Download it and follow our guide below.
- Launch the installation file on your computer and follow the steps on the screen. When the installation is complete, open the program.
- Click Browse for Images and select the picture you want to mirror. You can also just drag and drop it into the working area.
- Open the Rotate tab and use one of the buttons in the Flip section: the left button will flip your image horizontally, and the right button, vertically.
- Click the Save button. A window will appear in which you can select the destination folder, edit the file name, and choose the format. Click Save once more.
You can also read a full guide with detailed explanations and illustrations on our website.
With the help of Movavi Video Editor, you can flip YouTube videos in no time. Download the program and follow this guide.
- Launch the installation file and follow the instructions on the screen. After the installation process is complete, launch the program and choose New Project in the welcome window.
- Click Add Media Files and select the video you want to flip.
- Open the Filters tab and choose the Adjustments category. To flip the video horizontally or vertically, drag and drop the Flip ↔ or Flip ↕ effect onto the clip on the Timeline.
- Click the Export button and select the Upload online tab. Sign in to your YouTube account using the Sign in button. Add a title, description, and resolution, and select the folder for the exported copy of the video. Finally, click Upload.
You can learn more in our complete guide to how to edit YouTube videos.How to Edit YouTube Videos