If you’re wondering, “How can I improve video quality on my videos?” you’re not alone. But there’s a lot of video quality enhancers out there, and it can be difficult to choose the best. Use the table below to decide which software suits you best.
|Movavi Video Editor Plus||Value for professional features||Windows and Mac||$74.95 for a lifetime license or $54.95 for a year license|
|Avidemux||Single clips that need minimal work||Linux, Windows, Mac||Free|
|Clideo||Users who don’t need color or filter special effects||Online||$9 per month or $72 per year|
|Adobe® Premiere® Pro||Making the jump to professional video editing||Windows and Mac||$20.99 per month or $239.88 annual prepaid|
|Vegas Pro||Editors with professional editing experience||Windows||$399 lifetime purchase or $12.99 monthly subscription paid annually or $34.99 for 1 month|
|Lightworks||Beginners just dipping their toe in video editing||Linux, Windows, Mac||$389.99 lifetime purchase, $239.99 annual subscription, or $23.99 monthly subscription|
|Final Cut Pro||Mac users who need a professional editing program||Mac||$299|
|Video Editor – Microsoft||Windows users with clips that need minimal enhancement||Windows||Free|
|iMovie||Mac users who need a free, simple video enhancement solution||Mac||Free|
|Adobe® Premiere® Rush||Users needing to edit a video or two for free with color correction||Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android||Free up to 3 exports or $9.99 per month for unlimited exports|
View all programs Hide the table
Special pick: Movavi Video Editor Plus
Our program of choice from the table above is Movavi Video Editor Plus. This software offers a wide variety of special effects, the ability to create keyframe animation, and ready-made intros. Apply Chroma Key to easily change the background of your clips to anything you like. All these features are wrapped into a refined user interface – so easy, there’s nothing to learn. Download the trial version and enjoy lightning-fast file processing and rendering.
How to improve video quality with video enhancer software
If you want to know how to make a low-quality video look better, a video editor by Movavi is your answer.
It’s a powerful video editing program that can masterfully enhance video quality in modern digital footage and fix common issues with old videos. And the program integrates a lot of tools and features into an easy-to-use interface.
Enhance your footage with a range of effects like chroma key layering, picture-in-picture, color correction, stabilization, and much more. It’s a one-stop-shop video editor with professional tools at a fraction of the price.
Best for editors looking to quickly enhance videos with professional tools and save a lot of money in the process.
OS: Windows or Mac
Price: 1 yr license – $54.95 / Lifetime license – $74.95: both prices for 1 PC; Free trial download also available
PCMag rating: 4 out of 5 stars
- Stabilization options to correct shaky footage
- Color correction tools to boost low quality videos
- Stylization filters to further increase enhancement
- Supports editing in 4K resolution
- Easy-to-navigate interface with intuitive controls; perfect for beginners or pros
- Full spectrum of titles, stickers, filters, and transitions
- Complete most videos in just 20 minutes with minimal clicking
- The trial version is free, but you’ll have to pay for the best features.
Step 1. Download and install Movavi Video Editor Plus
Download the Movavi video enhancer to your computer. Then open the downloaded file and follow the on-screen prompts to install the program.
Step 2. Add a video clip you want to enhance
Launch the video quality enhancer and click Add Files. Сhoose the video to enhance, then drag and drop it onto the Timeline.
Step 3. Adjust your video
Click More Tools and then choose Color Adjustments to start editing the video automatically or manually. For instance, use the Magic Enhance tool in the Easy tab to improve the brightness and contrast of the video automatically.
If you want to adjust the video parameters manually, open the Advanced tab. Here, you can move the sliders adjusting different parameters precisely (Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, and much more). You can also fix the color temperature of your video, darken it or adjust the color tint.
Step 4. Save the edited video
Click the Export button and select the appropriate option: choose the output format, pick a ready-made preset for your mobile device, or upload your video directly to the Web. Then select the folder and a name for your video file. Click Start to save the video.
Now you know how to lighten a video in a few simple steps! With Movavi Video Editor Plus, you can easily edit your clips, brighten dark videos, fix blurry ones – and much more. Just download this video enhancer to your PC or Mac and learn how to improve video quality easily!
For professional video editors, Adobe® Premiere® Pro has been a staple in the industry for years. It offers unlimited editing tracks within a non-linear editing interface along with a wide range of tools and additional applications from Adobe.
The program has a bit of a learning curve, but once you master the program, you can do pretty much anything you set your mind to in the world of video editing.
Create your own professional movies, boost previous productions or even enhance low-quality CCTV footage – it’s all possible with Adobe® Premiere® Pro.
Best for those looking to make the jump to professional video editing.
OS: Windows or Mac
Price: $20.99/month or $239.88 annual prepaid
PCMag review: 4.5 out of 5
- Auto reformatting options to enhance images
- Lumetri Color tools that allow selective color grading and one-click auto-enhancement
- Auto edit detection to easily find previous edit points
- The stabilization tools are one of the – if not the – best on the market
- Very fast rendering and response time
- Great tools to help you stay organized while editing
- Not easy to pick up for beginners
- Some effects require you to use additional Adobe applications
Vegas Pro was Sony’s answer to Adobe and Apple that’s now run by the German software company Magix. The program offers a variety of professional tools for the post-production and you’ll be able to edit in a range of professional formats. This gives the software functionality beyond basic computer video editing.
But to utilize everything Vegas Pro has to offer, you’ll need to master its advanced interface. Recently, Magix made some adjustments to make it more user-friendly, but it’s still renowned for being complex.
It can definitely enhance video quality on any footage, but there’s still a learning curve.
Best for editors with some professional video editing experience.
Price: $399 lifetime purchase or $12.99 monthly subscription paid annually or $34.99 for 1 month
TrustRadius rating: 9 out of 10, 12 reviews
- Options for multicam editing
- Color grading and correction logging
- Import and export your own LUTs – look-up-tables
- Nice range of tools for color grading
- Renders fast and with high quality
- The interface isn’t as user-friendly and convenient as many others on this list
- Some program crashes
Lightworks is multi-platform editing software that’s been used in the movie industry for years. The software can take on a wide range of formats and allows users to customize their interface to make things as simple as possible.
The functionality of the program – while limited – is enough for most beginners to be able to dip their toe into video editing and enhance the video quality of any footage.
Best for beginners just getting started in video editing.
OS: Linux, Windows, Mac
Price: $389.99 lifetime / $239.99 annual subscription / $23.99 monthly subscription; Free version also available with limited features
Capterra rating: 4.4 out of 5, 26 reviews
- Narrative-based timeline editing
- Boasts one of the widest range of format support for video editing software including AVI, MP4, MXF, Avid, and QuickTime
- Customizable interface
- The interface is already easy-to-use and it’s customizable, so you can make it even more simple
- Ability to edit in a lot of different formats
- Great for beginners
- There are software and tools available that edit with higher quality and with fewer limitations
Final Cut Pro – the ‘X’ is now gone from the name – is Apple’s video editing blend program for both professionals and consumers who want professional video editing tools.
The software features a different style of editing with its magnetic timeline and offers a wide range of video enhancement tools that allow you to make fine adjustments to any video.
The software is fast for both editing and rendering and because it’s designed for and by Apple, it works perfectly with Mac computers. This is a great quality enhancement software if you live and die by the Mac.
Best for Mac users who need professional video editing tools.
Price: $299 one-time with unlimited updates
PCMag review: 4.5 out of 5
- Magnetic timeline editing
- Metal performance enhancer for faster editing at higher frame rates
- Color grading tools in curves and wheels for fine-tuning adjustments
- Supports HDR and 360-degree footage
- Some of the best organization tools in the video editing world
- Very fast rendering and editing with a low crash incidence rate
- Magnetic timeline editing is popular, but it isn’t for everyone’s preference
Best video enhancer freeware
If your footage isn’t that bad and doesn’t need professional software to enhance the quality, Avidemux is a solid, free option. With this software, you can import in a wide range of formats and make simple enhancements with its easy-to-use interface.
It doesn’t use timeline editing, so the program is just for one clip. But you can easily cut that clip down and utilize the filters to sharpen the image and make things viewable.
Best for single clips that require minimal enhancement.
OS: Linux, Mac, Windows
TechRadar rating: 4 out of 5
- Simple cutting
- Filtering tools
- Encoding capabilities
- Easy-to-use interface
- It’s completely free
- Solid filters to help you reduce noise and sharpen video
- Doesn’t use timeline editing
- Lack of effects and transitions
Windows Movie Maker (for Windows 7 users)
The best video editing programs for beginners in this field include the famous Movie Maker, which is also the easiest to master. With Windows Movie Maker, you can quickly make a video of high quality with simple drag and drop controls. With this video editor, you can add effects, titles, transitions, and music. However, Windows Movie Maker hasn't been updated since 2012 – this program is no longer included in Windows 8 and Windows 10.
Best for Windows users looking for a free option to edit clips that need minimal enhancement.
G2 rating: 4 out of 5, 107 reviews
- Basic editing features to improve videos
- Ability to share on YouTube
- Add video tracks, trim videos, and modify audio
- Very easy to use and has step-by-step instructions from Microsoft
- Decent selection of filters
- It’s free
- Very limited range of enhancement options
- Unavailable on Windows 10
iMovie is Apple’s free video editing software available on Mac – though you can also download the app to your iPhone or iPad to start editing a little beforehand.
With iMovie, users can edit up to two video tracks at a time on the timeline and utilize a wide range of special effects, templates, and filters. Though it’s not as comprehensive as Final Cut Pro, iMovie is a great free option if you want to do simple enhancements and create a professional-looking video.
Best for Mac users who want a free, simple solution for video enhancement.
Tom’s Guide rating: 4 out of 5
- Has templates to help you design and enhance your video quality
- Great chroma key tools
- Picture-in-picture and split-screen enhancement available
- Simple, easy-to-use interface
- Offers color matching so your clips are in synch
- Great selection of audio tools
- Can only edit two tracks at a time
Video enhancer apps to use online and on your smartphone
Clideo is an uncomplicated online option for video enhancement. You can pay monthly or one time for unlimited video uploads. And from there, you can cut, trim, crop, compress, add subtitles, or manipulate the speed of a video.
Editing videos with Clideo is a step-by-step process for each feature/tool, so don’t expect to just drop a clip into a timeline and do it all in one place. You have to make an enhancement, export the clip, and then upload that clip again in another tool window to make another enhancement.
The software is available online or as an app download on an Apple or Android smartphone.
Best for users looking for a simple, online option and don't need color or filter special effects tools.
Price: $9 per month or $72 per year for unlimited video uploads
Trustpilot rating: 4.7 out of 5, 1,498 reviews
- Titling options for subtitles, GIFs, or memes
- Audio editing options
- Trim, cut, compress, and crop videos in a variety of formats
- Simple editing process
- Cheap pricing
- You can’t edit everything in one place
- No color enhancement or filters
Adobe® Premiere® Rush is Adobe’s cost-efficient option for editors who need to enhance videos but don’t need professional tools. It’s great for social media and vlogging, and at the price, offers a good set of tools and effects that will enhance the video and get the job done.
Plus, the software connects with social media and will upload in the proper aspect ratio, so things always look great in a feed.
Best for editors who only need to edit a video or two for free and require color correction.
OS: Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android
Price: Free up to 3 exports and 2GB of cloud storage or $9.99 per month for unlimited exports and 100GB of cloud storage
PCMag rating: 3.5 out of 5
- Shares directly to social media in a correct aspect ratio
- Manual and preset color correction tools
- Audio and speed adjustment capabilities
- Great titling options
- Clean, simple interface
- Very fast
- No file type options for exporting
- Limited transition selections
Conclusion: What to look for in a video enhancer
With all of these options, it might be a little confusing if you don’t know exactly what you want in a video enhancer. Before downloading or purchasing ask yourself these questions:
- What exactly do I want to do to enhance my video? Just crop? Correct Color?
- Does what I want to do require professional video editing tools?
- What platform am I going to play the video on?
- What is my budget?
Consider your answers to those questions and review the list above. Then, match your needs with the best enhancer.
If you just need to enhance one video for social media, you probably don’t need to invest in professional editing software and can opt for one of the free options. But if you’re editing lots of videos to show at corporate meetings or events, then review your needs and budget with the more professional options listed above.
* The free version of Movavi Video Editor Plus has the following restrictions: 7-day trial period, watermark on the output videos, and, if you’re saving a project as an audio file, an ability to save only half the audio length. Learn more
Frequently asked questions
What is a video quality enhancer?
A video quality enhancer is any software that allows you to improve the quality of a video using a variety of enhancement tools. These tools could include cropping, rotation, cutting, trimming, or color gradation changes along with a variety of filters that help improve visual quality.
How do I improve video quality?
To improve the quality of a video, you can follow these steps:
- Start by upscaling your resolution to digitally add more pixels and create a clearer image.
- Adjust your aspect ratio based on the platform where you want to present the video.
- Use enhancement software to reduce any background noise in the audio.
- Use stabilization tools to stabilize a shaky video.
- Optimize the color of the video – saturation, hue, brightness, and contrast.
- Crop or rotate your video to keep things level.
Is it possible to convert low-quality video to high quality?
You’ll never get rid of all the issues on a low-quality video, but it is possible to convert it to high-quality. Using the steps in the previous question and solid video enhancement software like the ones listed above, you can increase the quality of any video.
Which video quality enhancers are the best?
If you need professional enhancement, Movavi Video Editor Plus, Adobe® Premiere® Pro, Vegas Pro, Final Cut Pro, and Lightworks are all great options.
If you’re on a tighter budget and don’t need as many features, Avidemux, iMovie, Windows Movie Maker, Clideo, and Adobe® Premiere® Rush are also some of the best on the market.
How can I improve video quality for free?
Avidemux, iMovie, Microsoft’s Video Editor app are all free options to help you improve your video quality. Adobe® Premiere® Rush is also free up to 3 exports.
Sign up for news and special offers