Whether you’re a streamer, a teacher, or you’re putting together a how-to video for fun, screen recording a presentation can be extremely useful. Let’s walk through a few of the easiest and most effective ways on how to record on Google Slides.
|Movavi Screen Recorder||Recording pro-level presentation videos and webinar recordings|
|Game Bar||Capturing gameplay or screen activity in a single application on a Windows 10+ PC|
|Loom||Recording Google Slides presentations with a Chrome extension|
How to record a presentation on Google Slides
Follow the instructions below to learn how to record a Google Slides presentation with audio using Movavi Screen Recorder.
Step 1. Download and install Movavi Screen Recorder
First, get ready to record a video on Google Slides by downloading and installing Movavi Screen Recorder for your Mac or PC on your computer. Once you’ve downloaded the installation file, open it and follow the easy installation instructions.
Step 2. Configure your recording settings
Once you’ve installed the screen recording software, launch the program and click on the Preferences icon. Here, you’ll find a variety of options and settings, including the ability to record with audio and video, formatting, and other features. Customize your settings to fit your preferences and then click on the Screen recording icon.
Step 3. Start your Google Slides recording
Before you start, you can adjust your recording window to fit exactly what you want to display. Then choose whether you want to record or mute System audio and Microphone inputs, and you can record from your Webcam here as well. Click REC to start recording. At any time during your recording, you can hit Pause to temporarily stop and restart your recording without starting a new video.
Step 4. Save your recording
When you’re done with your screen recording, click the Stop icon, and a preview window will appear. In addition to letting you record yourself doing a presentation and other screen recording capabilities, Movavi Screen Recorder also includes several basic editing tools and features to help you polish your video before you share it. Make any edits you want at this time, and then click on Export. Choose the video format you want to use and then click on the Save button.
How to record a Google Slides presentation with audio
Movavi Screen Recorder
Best for: Recording professional-level videos of presentations, webinars, and other screen activity
OS: Windows 7/8/10/11, Mac OS X 10.13 or higher
Price: Free trial, $57.95 for a full version
G2 rating: 4.5 out of 5, 50 reviews
Movavi Screen Recorder is a free-download screen recording program for a Mac or PC that includes basic video-editing tools, features, and effects to make recorded videos look more professional and polished. This software allows you to record yourself on Google Slides with or without audio, and with the option to record from your webcam as well.
- Webcam recording capabilities
- Video editing features and tools
- Recording capabilities for microphone and system audio
- User-friendly interface
- Quick setup and recording capabilities
- Easy-to-use video editing features
- Watermark on trial version
Best for: Capturing video in a single application on a Windows 10 or newer PC
OS: Windows 10/11
PCWorld rating: 3.5 out of 5
Game Bar (also called Xbox Game Bar) is a built-in application that comes with all Windows 10 and newer PCs. This free software allows users to capture the screen activity in a selected window or application. You can use it to screen record a Google Slides presentation, gameplay on your Xbox or PC, or activity in a browser window. It does not include video editing capabilities, and you can’t get it for Mac or Linux machines.
- Hot keys to start, pause, and stop recordings
- Automatic exports to gallery
- Comes with all newer Windows PCs
- Easy and quick recording capabilities
- Users report glitches and crashing while trying to record
- No options to record full screen or multiple applications at once
Best for: Record on Google Slides with a Google Chrome extension
OS: Any with online access and Google Chrome
Chrome Web Store rating: 4.7 out of 5, 10,019 reviews
Loom is a free Chrome extension that allows users to record activity in a Google Chrome browser window. If you’re using Chrome to access, edit, and play your slideshow, Loom can capture a video with audio from your computer and/or microphone.
- Screen recording and webcam recording capabilities
- Internal and microphone audio recording
- Automated notifications when others engage with your video
- One-click screen recording in Chrome
- Free cloud storage
- No privacy settings to blur background
- Customer support is almost nonexistent
Google Slides recording tips
Now that you have a few options for the best software, let’s discuss how to record a presentation on Google Slides that people will really want to watch. Follow these four tips for every video you create as you learn how to screen-record Google Slides, and you’ll be on your way to making pro-level video projects.
1. Be consistent with your slide designs
As you put together your Google Slides presentation, be sure that each slide fits within a consistent look and feel for the whole deck. Use the same background – or variants on the same theme – to create a sense of cohesiveness for your presentation. This will help the video feel more professional and polished.
2. Create professional transitions
Some presenters will just click through their slide decks as they move through their presentation videos. This can be jarring, especially if you have a lot of information on each slide or if you’re moving quickly. Google Slides has design features that allow you to create transitions between slides and animations on each slide. You can choose to have lines of text appear one at a time, and you can choose a dissolve or other transition effect between slides. If you’re not giving your presentation live, you can also do some of this when you edit your video after you’re done recording.
3. Rehearse your presentation before you start recording
After you create your Google Slides deck, but before you start recording, take time to rehearse your presentation. Pretend that you’re recording – or hit “record” and make a practice video. This will allow you to identify the areas where you might stumble over your words, or where you might need to strengthen the overall presentation. If you record a practice session, you can pinpoint parts of the video that won’t work as well, and you can find ways to fix them before you perform your presentation live or record the actual video that you’ll share.
4. Edit your presentation before you share it
After you go through your Google Slides and record your presentation, your video may not be finished. Do you have an intro and outro for your video? Do you need to cut parts out and include transitions? Making a few key edits can make all the difference for a successful video that you can proudly present to your audience.
Summary: How to choose the right software to record your Google Slides presentation
With the reviews in this article, you should have a better idea of the options available for how to record a Google Slides presentation with audio from your microphone or system and with or without recording the feed from your webcam. But which of these programs should you use? Can you record on Google Slides with any of these applications or plugins? Yes. Do they all serve every video creator’s needs? Probably not. Here are a few things to consider as you make your choice:
- User interface: How intuitive is the program? Can you easily pick it up and start recording on the fly if you need to? If a program isn’t user-friendly, or if you have trouble adapting to its controls, it’s probably not the right program for you.
- Price: If you’re on a budget, you’ll want to consider price. Some free programs are available, but they may have recurring issues with poor recording quality. They may also not have the features that you need. The best move may be to purchase a lifetime license for software that you can use for years to come.
- Features: If you’re going to pre-record presentations and post them online, you’re likely going to need to edit your videos before sharing them. If you don’t already have a video editing program you like, you might want to go with a screen recorder that includes editing capabilities.
- Customer support: Customer support and service can make or break a piece of software. Any program can have a bug, but with good support and a responsive team, you can get almost anything fixed. Free software is especially infamous for having poor customer support, and that’s very frustrating when something goes wrong.
With these factors in mind, we hope that you have an easier time choosing the best screen recorder to record your Google Slides presentations. If you’re still having trouble deciding, we recommend trying out a free download of Movavi Screen Recorder. Use it for your next presentation recording and see how you like it.
Frequently asked questions
Can you record directly into Google Slides?
Because Google Slides doesn’t include a feature to record directly in a presentation, you’ll need to use a screen recording application to record your presentation video. If you’re looking for a desktop app, we recommend Movavi Screen Recorder as a desktop app. If you need an online solution without the need to download an application, we recommend Screencapture.com. If you’re looking for a Chrome plugin to do the job, you might want to try Movavi Screen Recorder for Chrome.
How do you record your voice on Google Slides?
You can use Movavi Screen Recorder to capture your voice on Google Slides:
- Download and install Movavi Screen Recorder on a Mac or PC.
- Click the Start recording icon and specify the recording area.
- Click REC to start recording. To finish recording, click Stop.
- Click on Export, choose your preferred video file format and click Save.
Sign up for news and special offers