How to Add Special Effects to Video
If you’re looking for a video effects software that gives you the opportunity to edit, enhance, and transform your videos, you’ve already found it! Movavi Video Editor for Windows offers more than 50 special effects and filters to get your creative juices flowing, and 65 extra effects are available in expansion packs. Applying artistic effects – Grayscale, Mosaic, Posterize, Diffuse, Invert, and more – will help you turn your video clip into a work of art.
The Effects menu offers a number of different effects that fall into three groups:
- Quality enhancing (Color Correction, Adjust, Sharpen, and AutoFilter)
- Special Effects for Video (Chroma Key for changing video background, Mosaic, Old movie/Sepia Filter, Diffuse, Add Noise, and more)
- Transformation (Crop, Rotate, Distort, Flip, Split Screen and Picture in Picture).
Adding special effects to your video is not just fun and creative – it's as easy as 1-2-3! Select the effects you want to apply. Set the effect's value (if required) and preview the result in the split preview window. That's all there is to it. You can even combine multiple effects for really different results!
If you’re not sure how to do video effects using Movavi’s video editing program and what effects to choose, check out our tutorial below – it will give you the guidance you need and some creative ideas on using visual effects to enhance your home video.
Download Movavi Video Editor with various effects and try it yourself!
Apply and Manage Special Effects
- Apply effects. After you’ve added your media files for editing and placed them on the Timeline, open the Effects tab, right-click on the video effect you want to apply, and hit Play on the context menu that appears. A preview screen will appear that shows you how the effect will look when applied to your video. To change any of the parameters, click Show settings and adjust the settings as desired. When you are ready, click Apply on the Settings panel or drag and drop the effect onto the clip you want to enhance or transform. One more useful tip: you can use multiple effects on the same segment of video.
- Manage effects. To adjust or delete any of the effects or filters, right-click the preview clip, and select Applied Effects.
Now you can continue editing your video. Check a brief overview of available effects below.
Refine Video Quality with Automatic Filters
First, make your video look truly professional. Even if the light was not very good and the visuals are a little blurry, you can easily improve the quality with AutoFilter effects like MagicEnhance. Below, you can see the difference “before” (the left side) and “after” (the right side) this filter was applied.
Cropping the Video
The Crop tool will help you to remove unnecessary parts of the frame and concentrate the viewer’s attention on the most important elements of your movie – people’s faces, small details that might be missed on a long shot, a slight but meaningful gesture. Apply the Crop effect and move the frame in the preview window to choose the most desirable part of the frame.
Change the Color Balance to Create a Special Atmosphere
Color balance has a big effect on our perception of a video. A bluish palette makes visuals look cool and stylish. A lot of light creates a happy atmosphere. Try different percentages of red, blue, and green to achieve the effect you want.
Turn Your Video into a Black-and-white Film
To make your 21st century footage look like an old video, you can get rid of the colors by applying the Grayscale effect, which converts video into black and white. Next, make your video look even more vintage with the Add Noise effect. This adds random pixels to the video, creating the impression of low-quality film or an old videotape. Another option for retro lovers is Sepia or Old Movie – Sepia filters. Take a look at the results below.
Create a sci-fi movie in an instant
You can turn your home video into a futuristic fantasy beyond all recognition by just applying the Invert effect. This inverts the colors in the video, making it look like a negative film. The results can be quite surreal!
Once your movie is created and enhanced with visual effects, you can continue working with it by adding animated transitions and video text effects for captions, or overlay an evocative soundtrack. When everything is done, save your video, complete with special effects, in the most appropriate format for your purpose including HD, or 3D movie, or burn it to a DVD using the Save Movie menu.
- Edit video on the timeline
- Apply effects, use filters
- Add titles, music, logo
- Capture TV, webcam, VHS
Software Trusted in 150 Countries
Movavi has been developing video processing software since 2004. Our programs are trusted in 150 countries including the US, Japan, and Europe. We guarantee high quality of our software and safety of payments on our website.
Support for Leading Technologies
Our programs are designed on the cutting edge of video technology.