Edited by Nataly Bogorad
April 14, 2020
Top 10 Best Free Screen Recorders 2020
To create this article, we have searched the Web and found the best free screen recorders. The following screen recorders are not listed in order of rank. Rather, this list is a collection of some of the best free screen recording software that we have found on the Internet. Because all of these screen recorders are easy to use, we are confident that you will experience fewer headaches when working on your current or future projects.
The Best Free Screen Recorders for Windows and Mac
Movavi Screen Recorder is a simple program that has all the necessary features of a screen recorder wrapped in an intuitive interface. Record screen, webcam, and audio, take screenshots and share the result via social networks. You can download this screen recorder for free and use almost all of its powerful tools.
- Allows you to record webcam
- Saves video in multiple formats, including GIF
- Has a scheduled recording feature
- Can highlight the cursor during the recording
- Extremely easy to use
- The free version has a number of restrictions, such as no system sound recording, no screenshot editing, and a trial watermark added to output videos
Atoni ActivePresenter is a content authoring software that allows users to make screen recordings and edit them. With this tool, you can create educational, advertising, and commercial projects. Its version for personal use includes all the necessary features and is absolutely free.
- Good customer support
- Has a Chroma Key feature
- Video editing tools
- The amount of available tools and options creates a demanding learning curve
- You can only import video files created with ActivePresenter
You can take a look at another review, by following the link belowGo to the ActivePresenter review
OBS Studio is an open-source free screen recorder for Windows, macOS 10.11+ or Linux. For free software, OBS Studio prides itself on the vast number of features available to users. Some of those features include high performance, real-time video and audio capturing and mixing, and the ability to set up unlimited scenes and custom transitions.
- Allows streaming and recording in HD
- Video length is not restricted
- Open-source and completely free
- Great for recording video games
- No screenshots
- Lacks video editing tools
You can take a look at another review, by following the link belowGo to the OBS Studio review
ShareX is a free screen recorder and a snipping tool. It offers a wide range of screenshot options and image editing tools. This program’s most prominent feature is a large number of sharing options.
- A lot of export and sharing options
- Excellent for screengrabs
- Can be hard to configure
- Complicated interface
You can take a look at another review, by following the link belowGo to the ShareX review
This online app has the functionality of some full-scale screen recorders, including taking screenshots, customizing keyboard shortcuts, cursor highlighting. It’s completely free to use without any watermarks or time restrictions.
- No watermark or time limit
- Can record webcams
- Requires the internet connection to work
- You still need to download the launcher
You can take a look at another review, by following the link belowGo to the Free Online Screen Recorder review
Icecream Screen Recorder is a simple tool for making screencasts and taking screenshots. The program’s user-friendly interface makes it extremely easy to use. Although it lacks some advanced features, it’s a good choice for all your professional or educational needs.
- Simple and fast
- Sharing feature
- Webcam recording function
- Trial limitations include a watermark and the time limit of 5 minutes for screen recording
- Supports only a few formats and video codecs
You can take a look at another review, by following the link belowGo to the Icecream Screen Recorder review
FlashBack Express is another useful program to capture footage from your desktop. Although some useful features are not included in a free version, it still does the job and allows you to easily record in-game videos along with desktop recordings.
- Simple interface
- Fast recording
- The free version has no advanced video editing features
- The free version has only three output formats
You can take a look at another review, by following the link belowGo to the FLashBack Express review
Free Cam is another free tool to capture your display and create excellent screencasts. The program also offers a comprehensive video editor, where you can delete unnecessary parts of your recording, remove background noise, adjust audio levels, or even add fade-in or fade-out effects.
- Simple video editing tools
- Can remove background noise
- Wide choice of audio effects
- Saves recorded videos only to WMV
- Can’t record webcam
You can take a look at another review, by following the link belowGo to the Free Cam review
Created by NCH Software, Debut Video Capture Software allows you to record video from your device. Like other screen recorders, Debut Video Capture Software has a wide array of screen capture features. Users can select which parts of their screen to record, record video with sound, record audio from an external microphone, and create a time-lapse video recording. The free version of Debut Video Capture Software is for non-commercial use only.
- Many customization options
- Allows users to schedule recordings
- Can record from external devices
- The program’s interface seems a bit confusing
You can take a look at another review, by following the link belowGo to the Debut Video Capture Software review
Finally, Free Screen Recorder, created by DVDVideoSoft, is a screen video recorder for PC. Compared to others, Free Screen Recorder is a lighter, more trimmed down screen recorder. That said, its lightweight nature doesn’t mean it is absent of features. With Free Screen Recorder, you can record any or all parts of your screen, edit images taken from your screen recording, highlight your cursor path, and record video with sound.
- Convenient screenshot feature
- Wide variety of output formats
- Can’t record system sound
- Saves recordings only to AVI
- Has no preview function for recorded videos
Frequently Asked Questions
You can get an answer to this question by reading our article about best screen recorders without watermark
For Windows 10 there are a few programs that you might want to consider the best screen recorder, such as Movavi Screen Recorder, ActivePresenter, and OBS Studio.
There’s a built-in screen recorder for Windows 10 called Game Bar. Here’s a short guide on how to use it.
- Click Win+G, then check the Yes, this is a game box.
- Go to the Windows Settings, then go to the Gaming section, and select Game DVR to specify the recording settings.
- Click the Record from now button on the Game Bar.
- Finish recording by clicking the Stop button. Your recorded video will be saved to the folder C:\Users\%user_name%\Videos.
Movavi Screen Recorder
The perfect way to record from your screen
- Capture video from your computer screen
- Grab sound from multiple sources
- Save recordings without quality loss
- Export videos in any popular format
Disclaimer: Please be aware that Movavi Screen Recorder does not allow capture of copy-protected video and audio streams.