Converting AVI to MOV
Your iPhone or iPad won’t play AVI files. This is an all-too-common situation, as iOS-based devices don’t natively support this format. The best way to get around this is to change AVI to MOV, a format developed by Apple as part of their QuickTime framework.
The first part of this article will guide you through the process of AVI-to-MOV conversion. If you want to know more about the differences between AVI and MOV formats, take a look at the comparison section.
How to Convert AVI to MOV with Movavi Video Converter
All you need to transfer AVI to MOV is good conversion software like Movavi Video Converter – a simple yet powerful app that supports over 180 different formats and includes presets for almost every device you can think of.
Download our AVI-to-MOV converter for Windows PC or Mac and start converting AVI files into MOV easily and quickly by following the instructions below.
Step 1. Install the Movavi Software
Open the downloaded file and follow the instructions to complete the installation.
Step 2. Add Videos to the Program
Launch the converter. Go to Add Media, then Add Video in the top left-hand corner of the program interface and find the AVI files you want to add.
Step 3. Choose the MOV Preset
Click the Video tab, find the MOV preset group, and choose the appropriate preset for your device.
Step 4. Convert AVI to MOV
Change the destination folder if necessary by clicking the Save to button. When you’re ready, just hit Convert.
AVI-to-MOV Converters That Are Free
Converting .avi to .mov can be easy and free with some programs. Below, you'll find the review of the three best freeware with which you can make conversions for free. It's as simple as downloading the program, uploading your AVI, converting and downloading the converted MOV version. Some of the AVI-to-MOV converter free programs are:
OS: Windows and Mac
There are many programs to convert AVI to QuickTime; VLC does it quite well. VLC is a free, open-source, cross-platform media player for playing multimedia files, streaming protocols, and converting AVI files to MOV. It's a popular program you can find on most PCs. You don't need to download anything if you have this application installed on your PC. Below, we will explain how you can convert .avi to .mov free quickly and easily. Pay attention to the explanation to convert AVI to MOV Windows and Linux.
How to convert AVI to MOV with VLC:
- Go to the official website of the AVI-to-MOV converter to download the latest version of VLC Media Player.
- Double click on the installation file downloaded.
- Click on the Multimedia menu in the upper left corner of the VLC window and select the Convert / Save option.
- Now click on the File label to open the Open Multimedia Files window. Click on the Add button.
- Navigate to the MOV entry on the pop-up screen to search. Highlight the corresponding icon and press Open to return to the Open Multimedia Files screen.
- Now press the Convert / Save button in the corner at the lower right part of your screen.
- Simple interface
- Can convert to many other formats
- Free with no limitation
- In some cases, converted videos have no sound
- No instructions provided for Mac users
- The interface is outdated
OS: Windows and Linux
FFmpeg is a collection of free software programs, little known in Windows but unsurpassed for processing video and audio. FFmpeg is developed for the GNU/Linux operating system, but it can be used ideally in Windows to convert AVI to MOV for free. The program is open-source command-line software for video and audio conversion. FFmpeg makes use of various video and audio codec libraries. The free AVI-to-MOV converter supports a lot of formats for audio and video. FFmpeg supports both Audio Video Interweave (AVI) and Audio Video Interweave (AVI).
How to convert .avi to .mov with FFmpeg:
- Go to your Linux distribution command line terminal.
- Type the following without the quotes FFmpeg- i path / video1.avi path / movie2.mov. Next, change path / video1.avi with your preferred filename and location of your MOV file.
- Change path / movie2.mov into your preferred destination path as well as your MOV file name.
- Click on Return or Enter so you can begin the conversion. The video conversion may take some time. This depends on the length, specification, and quality of the computer's video.
- Designed for Linux
- Compatible with modern-day apps
- Supports most media formats
- Completely free and open source
- Can also record your screen
- Steep learning curve
OS: Windows and Mac
With the Movavi Free Video Converter, you have one of the best AVI-to-QuickTime converters. You can convert AVI to MOV on Mac and Windows.
With Movavi, you can convert DVDs, audio, videos, and even image files. The video conversion is ultrafast and has relatively no loss of quality.
You will also improve the video’s quality by adjusting sounds, cutting and joining files before you convert. You can also save audio and video clips for your mobile devices.
- Download and install Movavi Free Video Converter. Then open the file and install it into the software.
- Next, open your AVI video that you need to convert.
- Run the Movavi converter and click Add Media.
- Next, click on Add Video so you can add your AVI files to the software.
- Choose your predefined output for the video format at the bottom in the converted window.
- Start conversion by clicking on the folder to specify where you want the files to be saved and then click on Convert.
- Supports all major video formats
- Easy to use
- Converts at high speed with low-quality loss
- There could be more editing features
Conclusion on free AVI-to-MOV converters
Most of the selected video converters for .avi to .mov format are popular among desktop device users. Most of these are free, and some, including VLC and FFmpeg, are open source. Most of these programs can also record your screen. However, there could be more supportive features for Mac. Meanwhile, they can convert files to virtually most of the leading media formats with minimal video quality loss.
Websites to Convert AVI to MOV Online
Video Converter is an online video conversion service you can use for free. The conversion service makes conversions of files less than 100 megabytes. All you need is to go to the website of the AVI-to-MOV converter online, add your media and convert. In the instructions below, we will explain better how to do this.
Go to Online Video Converter's website. Add the AVI media file which must be in your Google Drive, Dropbox, or computer. Choose the MOV format from the drop-down list. You can fix the quality and do other writings by using the enhanced settings. Convert your file by clicking on Convert.
- Converts to up to 24 video formats
- Free and easy to access
- Fast and straightforward conversion
- Cannot convert files that are more than 100 MB
CloudConvert is also a free service to convert AVI to MOV online. It works just like Online Video Convert. You can convert to and from AVI, MOV, and dozens of other media formats. However, the difference with the latter is that you can edit the resolution, aspect ratio, consistent quality, video codec, preset, tune, profile, and video level.
Go to the landing page of CloudConvert. Select the media formats you are converting from and converting to. You'll find two drop-down boxes on the right side of the Convert text on the upper part of the page.
- Select AVI from the list in the first box and MOV in the second box.
- Then select the file by clicking on the red rectangular box with the Select File tab.
- You can select files from your computer, Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, and even URL. You can convert more than one file. All you need to do is click on Add More Files.
- To convert, just click on the red Convert file.
- You don't have to download any program
- Converts from many popular formats
- A lot of editing features
- Nothing to complain about
ConvertFiles is also another online conversion tool that converts to and from AVI and MOV. Conversion with this service is fast and straightforward like all other services. The main difference is that you can opt for the service to send you the video’s download link via email.
To use the service, go to the homepage of ConvertFiles. Choose a file from your computer or mobile device by clicking on Browse. Select your input format (as AVI) and output format (as MOV). Click on Convert so your file conversion can begin.
- Optionally sends the download link to your email
- Converts from many popular formats
- No option of uploading files from the cloud
- No editing features
FreeConvert, as its name suggests, is a service that has a specialized tool for AVI-to-MOV conversion. You can drop files of up to 1 gigabyte into the converter. It even has advanced settings for editing and personalizing your videos.
To convert with FreeConvert, go to the AVI-to-MOV page. Choose a file from your computer or mobile device by clicking on Choose Files tab, which is in blue. Select MOV after clicking on the drop-down box beside the Convert To texts. Then click Convert Now to start conversion.
- Has advanced settings
- Fast and secure
- Easy to access
- No option to choose from cloud
Conclusion on online AVI-to-MOV converters
Online converter services are the best tools for converting AVI to MOV. You don't have to download and install programs. You can choose files available in the cloud. They support most of the operating systems. There are no significant downsides to using these services. These are generally AVI-to-MOV converters for Mac, Windows, Android, and Linux operating systems.
AVI vs. MOV Comparison
If you compare MOV vs. AVI, they would seem pretty similar: both are media containers developed with a specific OS in mind. The main difference between them is the file size: AVI files are bigger than MOV files of the same quality. For a more detailed AVI vs. MOV comparison, take a look at the table below.
|File extension||.avi||.mov .qt|
|Subtitles||Supported via third-party modifications||Supported natively|
|File size and quality||Larger size and lower quality||Smaller size and better quality|
|Supported devices||Almost any computer or multimedia device||Native support on Apple devices and computers. Supported by Windows and Android via third-party software|
Frequently Asked Questions
How to convert AVI to QuickTime (MOV) on a Mac?
AVI-to-MOV converter for Mac can be different from other processes via Windows and Linux, but it's simple. Follow the steps to know how to convert AVI to MOV:
- Install Movavi Video Converter from the distribution size.
- Run the app.
- Drag and drop the AVI file(s) you wish to convert in the window.
- Select the tab Video and then select MOV as your output format
- Click on Convert, and the conversion will begin.
What is the difference between AVI and MOV?
AVI and MOV are similar video media formats, but there are differences. MOV files are smaller than AVI files of the same quality. AVI files have .avi has extension while MOV files have .mov .qt. AVI is developed by Microsoft, while MOV is developed by Windows.
How to convert AVI to MOV on Windows 10?
To change AVI to MOV on Windows 10, follow the steps below:
Install and run your Movavi software.
- Next, add videos by clicking on Add Media.
- Preset the conversion to MOV.
- Convert the video by clicking on Convert after selecting the folder you want the video to be saved to.
Which is better: AVI or MOV?
MOV files seem to be better as the files are smaller with the same quality compared to AVI's. Also, subtitles are supported natively rather than with third-party applications.
Sign up for news and special offers