Edited by Ben Jacklin
October 7, 2021
VOB files are derived from DVDs and cannot be played on most mobile devices or laptops lacking a DVD drive, which is why you may need a VOB converter. MP4 files, on the other hand, are universally accessible. You can convert VOB files to MP4 with several programs, including a video converter and an online tool.
|Movavi Video Converter||Includes editing tools||Does not download online videos|
|Movavi Free Video Converter||Free||Limited functions;|
|VLC||Supported by virtually every OS||Can interfere with other programs|
|HandBrake||Video-editing filters||Slow conversion speed|
|Online Video Converter||Changes video resolution and audio bitrate||Limited file size|
|CloudConvert||Convert MOV to MP4 from Google Drive, OneDrive, and Dropbox||Limits number of conversions per day|
|File-Converter- Online.com||Simple 3-Step conversion||Requires stable internet connection|
|ConvertFiles||Emails converted files to be downloaded on the device of your choice||Only converts files of 250 MB or smaller|
View all programs Hide the table
How to use the Movavi VOB-to-MP4 converter
Best for: rapid, high-quality video conversion
To transform VOB to MP4 really quickly, try Movavi Video Converter. With this program, you can easily change video formats from VOB to MPEG-2, MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, MKV, and many others. Want to convert your video to audio? This can also be done in no time. Moreover, the software can help you with minor video-editing tasks if needed, such as cutting off unnecessary titles, adding simple effects, cropping, and rotating. Just download the VOB file converter for free and follow the simple instructions below.
Step 1. Install Movavi’s VOB converter
First, download the Movavi VOB file converter for Windows or Mac. After the installation file has been downloaded, launch it and follow the on-screen instructions.
Step 2. Add a video DVD to the program
Insert the DVD disc with the videos you want to convert into your DVD drive and launch Movavi Video Converter. Hit the Add Media button, select Add DVD, and click Open DVD. Now you can add your DVD video files to the program and change VOB to MP4 and other formats.
Step 3. Choose your output format
Open the Video tab, choose your desired video format from the list, and select the appropriate format preset. If you want the output video file to play on your mobile device, click Devices and select one of the ready-made presets for your device.
Step 4. Define the compression rate (optional)
If you want to compress VOB files to MP4, go back to the file list and click on the file size in the output information. In a dialog box that appears, use the File size slider to tweak the output file size and bitrate. Click Convert sample to check what the video will look like after conversion.
Step 5. Convert VOB to MP4 or another format
Click the Save to button and choose the folder where you want the converted files to be saved. To start converting your VOB files to the desired format, click the Convert button. The folder containing the transcoded video(s) will open automatically when the conversion is complete. Converting VOB to MP4 has never been easier!
Now you know how to use the Movavi .vob converter. If you use Windows and want to watch videos on a DVD player and don’t know how to convert them to VOB, download Movavi Video Suite for Windows. With this software program, you can create video DVDs from video files in any popular format. The suite includes both a video converter and a DVD/Blu-ray burner. Plus, you get many other exciting features like video editing, screen recording, video capture, and more.
Use a free VOB-to-MP4 converter
A free VOB-to-MP4 converter for your PC or Mac is always a good option. We’ve picked three programs for you to choose from. All of these VOB-to-MP4 converters are free and loved by many users. Click the appropriate link below to learn how you can convert VOB to MP4 on Windows 10 and Macintosh using the chosen program.
How to convert VOB to MP4 for free with Movavi
Best for: free video conversion
Supported OS: Windows, Mac
Movavi Free Video Converter is a program with which you can convert video, music, and even images to over 180 formats. Being totally free, the program still offers all the features you might expect of a powerful tool. The premium version with ultrafast conversion includes additional options such as quality enhancement, online subtitle search, trimming, cropping, and rotating.
- Device-targeted conversion (200+ presets)
- Fast media processing
- No-quality-loss compression
- Batch conversion
Get the latest version of the VOB-to-MP4 converter using the link below.Go to the Movavi Free Video Converter Page
To convert VOB files to MP4 using Movavi Free Video Converter, follow the steps below.
- Install and launch the program.
- Import your .vob files. To do this, click Add Media, then Add DVD, and choose Open DVD.
- Go to the Video tab, select MP4 as the output format, and choose the appropriate preset.
- Click the Save to button and choose the destination folder. Finally, hit Convert to transcode your VOB files to MP4. It’s as simple as that!
How to convert VOB to MP4 with VLC
Best for: converting videos on mobile devices
Supported OS: Windows, Mac, Linux, Unix, Android, iOS
VLC is an open-source, cross-platform program created by VideoLAN. VLC developers claim that the player supports all existing media formats and doesn’t require any additional codec packs to be installed. Sounds impressive, but there is more to it. Unlike many media players, VLC can not only play your files back. Surprisingly, it can also act as a VOB converter.
- Support of a large variety of media formats
- Damaged/corrupted files processing
- No additional codec packs required
- Video filters/effects
To convert VOB to MP4 with VLC, download the latest version of the freeware from the official VideoLan website using the link below.Go to the VLC website
Here are the instructions on how to convert VOB to MP4 using VLC.
- Install and launch the program.
- From the Media menu, select Convert/Save. On the File tab, click Add to upload your VOB files. Locate your videos and hit Open, then click Convert/Save.
- From the Profile list, choose the output format you prefer. For MP4, choose Video – H.264 + MP3 (MP4). If you can’t find the right option, click the Wrench icon and select the required encapsulation type. Click Browse to specify the output folder and change the file extension to ".mp4" manually, as the program doesn’t do that. Click Save, then hit Start. Once the process is complete, you will find the new video in the specified export folder.
This is how to convert VOB to MP4 in VLC. Of course, VLC also supports conversion to other formats, but not all of them, as this program was not designed as a video file converter in the first place.
How to use the HandBrake VOB-to-MP4 converter
Best for: converting videos on Linux
Supported OS: Windows, Mac, Linux
HandBrake is another free VOB-to-MP4 converter you can use to process your files. With this open-source software, you can transcode your video files from and to almost any format. Just like VLC, HandBrake includes video-editing filters and effects such as deinterlacing, denoise, grayscale, cropping, scaling, and others.
- Ready-to-use device presets
- VFR and CFR support
- Built-in video filters/effects
Get the latest version of the program (software is free for download).Go to the HandBrake official website
Here are the instructions on how to convert VOB files to MP4 using HandBrake.
- Install and open the HandBrake VOB-to-MP4 converter.
- In the Source Selection area, select the Folder or File option, depending on whether you want to convert a single file or several files. In the window that appears, select the file or folder with the files you want to convert and click Open. Alternatively, you can just drag and drop your file(s) into the program window.
- On the Summary tab, select MP4 in the Format drop-down list.
- Open the Video tab and make sure the Video Codec is set to H.264.
- Click Browse in the lower-right corner of the window and choose the output folder.
- Click Add to Queue in the upper-left area of the window and select Add Current.
- Hit the Queue button to confirm the conversion settings. Finally, click Start Queue to launch the conversion process. You will find the processed file in the specified output folder. That’s how to use HandBrake to convert VOB to MP4.
Now you know how to convert a VOB file to MP4 using three different programs. As always, the described methods have their pros and cons. Of course, desktop programs can process larger files and support batch conversion, but the functionality differs from program to program, and installing additional software is not always convenient. If you don’t want to go through the trouble of getting and installing software, and especially if you’re only looking for a one-time conversion method, you might want to consider online ways of conversion.
Convert VOB to MP4 online
If you only need to convert one file, the best solution for you would be to do it using an online VOB-to-MP4 converter. In this case, you don’t have to install anything on your computer. Just upload your file to an online converter, and it will do the rest – with your directions, of course. Here, we’ll describe the most convenient services for VOB-to-MP4 conversion.
Jump to one of the sections by clicking the appropriate link.
Online Video Converter
Best for: converting video files while adjusting audio and video quality
Online Video Converter is a service that supports the most popular video and audio formats. Here, you can convert VOB to MP4 for free. Converting files with Online Video Converter is secure, as your converted media is erased from the server as soon as you download the result. The conversion process itself is simple, too: no need to specify the frame rate, ratio, video and audio codecs. Just add your file, and the service will do the rest.
- Support of the most popular video and audio formats
- Simplicity of the conversion process
- Compression option
- Security guarantee
Use the link below to access the online VOB files converter.Go to the Online Video Converter website
Follow the steps below to convert your VOB file to MP4.
- On the Online Video Converter website, click the Add Your Media button, find your file, and hit Open.
- By default, the output format is MP4; to change it, choose another one from the Video section of the drop-down menu.
- Click Convert to start the transcoding process. After it’s done, your converted file will be downloaded automatically; if this doesn’t happen, just hit Download.
Please note that file size is limited, and you can only process one file at a time.
Best for: converting videos from cloud storage
CloudConvert is another online free VOB file converter. This service enables you to tweak some of the basic conversion settings such as video resolution, quality, and file size. You can also set additional parameters: CloudConvert allows you to add subtitles to your video, choose the desired bitrate, framerate, and aspect ratio.
- Support of 200+ formats
- Trimming feature
- Batch file processing
- High-quality VOB conversion
Follow the link below to access the CloudConvert website.Go to the CloudConvert website
To learn how to convert VOB to MP4 with this online service, follow these instructions.
- On the CloudConvert website, click the Select File button. You can upload several videos at a time.
- Make sure that MP4 is selected as the output format in the Convert to drop-down list.
- Hit the Convert button. After the conversion process is complete, click Download.
Note that you are limited to 10 conversion minutes per day. You’ll have to create a free account to continue using the service once you’ve exceeded the limit.
Best for: encrypted video conversion
Another way to convert VOB to MP4 online is on File-Converter-Online.com. Here, you can convert various file types for free in just a few clicks. The service is secure, as it uses 256-bit encryption.
- Support of a large number of formats
- Simple 3-step conversion
- Encrypted sessions
Use this link to start converting with the service.Go to the service’s website
To convert a VOB file with this online service, follow the instructions below.
- On the service’s website, click Choose File. In the window that appears, find the VOB file you’d like to convert to MP4 and click Open.
- Make sure that mp4 is selected as the output format in the Choose filetype drop-down list.
- Hit the Start Converting! button. The file will be downloaded automatically. Otherwise, click the Start download button.
Best for: converting small video files
This online VOB video converter can process files under 250 MB. The conversion process is simple, and if you wish, the service will send the link to the converted file to your email address. This feature can come in handy if you want to upload a video from one device and download the result from another (but remember that you only have one hour to download your file).
- Doesn’t require setting advanced parameters before the conversion
- Can process files as large as 250 MB
Follow this link to start converting with ConvertFiles.Go to the ConvertFiles website
This is how you can use this VOB-to-MPEG-4 converter.
- On the service’s webpage, click Browse and find your video with the VOB file extension.
- Select MPEG-4 Video File (.mp4) from the Output format drop-down list. If you want to download the result later, check the Send a download link to my email box and type in your email address.
- Once the file is successfully converted, you will see the link you can click to go to the download page.
Online conversion platforms are the best solution when the task is to convert one or two files. However, free VOB converters tend to have file size limits. Moreover, some of them also require an account. Many of them only store the resulting video for a short period of time. Finally, not every service supports batch conversion (which is fine when you only convert a couple of files but is troublesome when there are more of them).
As you see, every approach has its advantages and disadvantages, and the final choice is yours to make. As all of the described desktop and online VOB converters are free, we hope you will be able to find a satisfactory solution that meets your demands best.
The VOB and MP4 formats: comparison
What format to choose? It really depends on your needs.
Here are some differences between the formats.
|Developed by||DVD Forum||Moving Picture Experts Group|
|Video codecs||MPEG-1, MPEG-2||H.264, H.265, MPEG-4, H.263, others|
|Audio codecs||MP1, MP2, PCM, AC-3, DTS||AAC, MP3, AC-3, others|
|Support||DVDs||Almost any device|
Frequently asked questions
What is a VOB file?
A VOB file is a file that contains the majority of the data on a DVD disc (video, audio, subtitles, DVD menus with navigation through chapters). VOB is typically stored in the VIDEO_TS folder in the root directory of the DVD disc. VOB files are usually formatted as MPEG-2 so that you can open them in almost any media player. These files can be encrypted to ensure copyright protection.
How do I convert VOB to MOV?
You can do this with Movavi Video Converter. Download the program and follow the simple steps below.
- Launch Movavi Video Converter.
- To add VOB files to the program, click the Add Media button in the upper-left corner of the program window, select Add DVD, then click Open DVD. Locate the disc on your computer and click Select Folder.
- Open the Video tab, select the MOV format, and choose the appropriate preset.
- Click the Save to button to choose a destination folder for the converted files, then click the Convert button to start changing VOB to MOV.
Can TVs play VOB files?
Some TVs can play VOB files, but even these TVs don’t support all VOB-compatible video codecs. It’s better to convert VOB files to another TV-compatible format. The main formats supported by most TVs are MP4, MKV, and AVI.
Do VOB files contain audio?
Yes. VOB files include video, audio, subtitles, and DVD menus. Thus, VOB files contain audio encoded with the MP1, MP2, PCM, AC-3, or DTS codec.
What is VIDEO_TS?
VIDEO_TS is a folder on a video DVD that holds three files containing all the data of a DVD movie:
VIDEO_TS.VOB stores audio and video data.
VIDEO_TS.IFO contains DVD menus and subtitles.
VIDEO_TS.BUP contains backup copies of the configuration files.
How do I convert VOB to MP4 on Windows 10?
If you use a computer running Windows 10, you can use the Movavi VOB-to-MP4 converter free for download (the full version is also available, but the basic one can perform the task, too).Download the version for Windows
Follow these simple steps to convert VOB files with Movavi Video Converter.
- Install and open the program.
- Click the Add Media button, select Add DVD, then click Open DVD. Find the disc on your PC and click Select Folder.
- On the Video tab, select MP4 as the target format and choose the preferred preset.
- Click the Save to button to choose the output folder.
- Finally, click the Convert button to start changing VOB to MP4.
How do I convert VOB to MP4 using Windows Media Player?
Windows Media Player will not convert VOB files on its own. You will need to download a converter like Movavi Video Converter, VLC, or Handbrake to change the file format.
Can VLC convert VOB to MP4?
Yes, the VLC media player not only plays video files, but it can also convert them into multiple file formats, including MP4.
How can I convert VOB to MP4 for free with no watermark?
To convert a VOB file to MP4 for free with no watermark, try one of the following tools:
- Online Video Converter
- File-Converter- Online.com
How can I convert VOB to MP4 on a Mac?
To convert a VOB file to MP4 on a Mac, follow these steps:
- Install Movavi Video Converter.
- Open the program.
- Drag and drop the files you want to convert into the program window.
- Click the icon for the format you want.
- Click Convert.
Sign up for news and special offers