How to Put Two Videos Side by Side
Edited by Pat Bitton
May 25, 2020
If you want to combine two videos on your monitor and create a stunning split-screen clip that will impress the viewers, you’ll need efficient video editing software. We recommend you Movavi Video Editor! This easy-to-use app for Windows and Mac OS will help you to not only produce dramatic split-screen clips but also perform many other video editing tasks like adding music, applying transitions, and exporting video to different output formats.
Download Movavi Video Editor and start creating your split-screen videos now!
Creating the split-screen effect is easy, just follow the instructions and see for yourself!
Download the Split-Screen Video Maker
Download the Movavi Video Editor installation file and launch it. Once the setup is completed, the program will open automatically.
Add Videos to the Program
As you've launched the program, choose Create project in full feature mode in the welcome window. Then click Add Media Files and locate the videos you want to combine.
To make your video fancier, add some professionally directed footage from our partner’s stock video library. Select Sample video and click Download more! (or visit the Videoblocks page) to get more information about this option.
Transfer Video to an Overlay Track
By default, the chosen videos will be added to the Video Track on the Timeline in the lower part of the program window. First, select one of your videos and start dragging it up the Timeline – this will create an Overlay Track above the main Video Track. Drop the video onto the Overlay Track.
Choose How Your Split Screen Will Appear
With our split-screen video editor, you can split a screen in half horizontally or vertically. To do this, double-click the video on the upper (overlay) track to enter editing mode. Open the list above the Preview window and choose Side by side. Click one of the four buttons next to the list to choose where the video from the main (lower) video track will play. The video from the overlay (upper) track will appear on the opposite side of the screen. For example, click the left button to play the main video on the left and the other video on the right side of the screen. When you’ve chosen the desired mode, click Apply.
Manage the Sound
If you play your newly created split-screen video, you’ll hear the soundtracks of the clips you’ve added playing at the same time. It’s best to mute one of your videos to avoid deafening your audience! To do this, simply click the Mute Track icon on either the Video Track or Overlay Track.
Save Your Clip
Now your side-by-side video is ready to wow your audience. Click the Export button and choose the appropriate format tab at the left side of the pop-up window. You can save the video for viewing on your computer or mobile device, or convert it for web export. After you’ve specified the saving parameters, click Start.
It’s easy to create a split-screen video with Movavi Video Editor!
Was the Article Helpful?
Movavi Video Editor
Creating videos has never been so easy!
- Edit video clips, images, and audio on a timeline
- Add transitions, filters, titles, and callouts
- Use special effects like Chroma Key and Slo Mo
- Export videos in any popular format
* The free version of Movavi Video Editor has the following restrictions: 7-day trial period, watermark on the output videos, and, if you’re saving a project as an audio file, an ability to save only half the audio length. Learn more
Frequently Asked Questions
💡 Can VLC Play Two Videos at the Same Time?
Yes, it can. VLC Media Player has multiple instances, which makes it possible for the program to run in several windows at the same time.
To check if this option is enabled, open the Tools tab and select Preferences. If the Allow only one instance box is not checked in the Interface tab, the option is active.
🎥 How Do I Combine Multiple Videos into One?
You can combine multiple videos into one with Movavi Video Editor. Just follow these steps:
- Download and install Movavi Video Editor on your computer. After the installation is complete, launch the program.
- Select New Project in the welcome window, then click Add Media Files and select all the clips you want to join into one. The files will appear on the Video Track.
- Put the clips in the order you want them to appear in your video by dragging and dropping them into place on the Video Track.
- When the clips are in the right order, click Export. In the window that appears, name your file and select the appropriate format, quality, and destination folder. Once everything is set, click Start.
🌄 How Do I Combine Two Pictures without Photoshop?
Apart from Photoshop, there are many other programs that let you join pictures. Movavi Photo Editor is one. With this program, you can combine images in just a few clicks.Learn more about Movavi Photo Editor