How to Add Subtitles to a Video
Edited by Pat Bitton
June 1, 2020
If you’re going to create a slideshow or greeting card video, you’ll probably want to include captions or title overlays that let you comment on what the viewer is seeing, in addition to images, videos, and music. What you need is an efficient editing software program that enables you to add subtitles to videos as well as set the font, color, and size of the text. Movavi Video Editor provides an easy way to do all this! Drawing on the library of more than 20 simple and animated caption styles, you can add an extra dimension to your video by calling attention to the most important elements in your movie or slideshow.
Adding permanent subtitles to your video is really easy. Just download Movavi Video Editor for Windows or Mac OS.
Follow these step-by-step instructions on how to add subtitles to a video permanently.
Install Movavi Video Editor to Add Captions to a Video
When the download is complete, launch the file and follow the instructions to install the subtitle adder.
Add Your Video to the Video Maker App
Open our subtitle embedder and choose New Project. After that, click Add Media Files on the main panel and locate the video files you want to edit. Those files will be added to the Timeline automatically.
Add Titles and Callouts
Click the Titles tab on the left to access the list of available simple (basic) or animated (artistic) caption styles to permanently embed as your video subtitles. To decide which title styles suit you best, you can preview them in the media player window by clicking their icons. Once you’ve chosen the desired style, simply drag it to the Timeline. You can move the subtitles around the Timeline until they’re in the desired positions. To enter your text, double-click the inserted title on the Timeline, then double-click the sample text in the preview window and type or paste your text. Move the caption along the video frame to make it as legible and appropriate for the video as possible.
Now that you’ve finished adding subtitles to your video, you might want to add some graphic symbols, too. Go to the Callouts tab and choose from a wide variety of animated symbols: arrows, speech bubbles, geometric shapes, and more. Callouts are especially useful if you're making an educational video. You can add callouts to the Timeline and edit them exactly the same way as you'd edit titles.
Adjust the Titles and Callouts
To enter the editing mode, double-click a title or a callout on the Timeline. Now you can adjust your caption or callout in the preview window:
- click the Clip properties button to adjust the duration and speed of the title animation.
- click the Font properties button to select the desired font family and specify the text size, appearance, and alignment.
- the Color properties button allows you to set the desired color for the whole text, particular words, and outline. Just click the text box in the preview window and choose the color you want. You can also adjust the outline width in the field above the preview window. If you’ve chosen one of the artistic titles, you may want to change the decoration color. To do this, click the decorations outside the text box and choose your preferred color.
To apply the changes, click Apply in the upper right corner of the program interface.
Save Your Video
All you need to do is to save the clip in one of more than 180 supported media formats: you can create hard subtitles for AVI, MP4, MKV, FLV, and many more. Click Export, select the Save As Video tab at the top of the pop-up window. If you want to play a video on a portable device, select the appropriate tab and use one of the presets for iPhone, Xbox, and other devices. Click Start to save the video.
You’ve just learned how to use Movavi’s Video Editor program to add subtitles to a video. Advance your movie creator skills with us!
Movavi Video Editor
Creating videos has never been so easy!
- Edit video clips, images, and audio on a timeline
- Add transitions, filters, titles, and callouts
- Use special effects like Chroma Key and Slo Mo
- Export videos in any popular format
* The free version of Movavi Video Editor has the following restrictions: 7-day trial period, watermark on the output videos, and, if you’re saving a project as an audio file, an ability to save only half the audio length. Learn more
Frequently Asked Questions
How to add text to an iPhone video?
You can use Movavi Clips to add text to an iPhone video. To add captions, click the Text tab in your app. Enter the text you want to use and place it anywhere on the video. Adjust the size, choose the font and color of your caption. Select the clip you want to apply it to and save the changes. Use Movavi Clips on your iPhone and your iPad.
How to add subtitles to a video for free?
To add subtitles to your video, try Free Video Editor. Download the program at no charge and open the video to which you want to add subtitles. Click the Titles tab and choose your preferred option from the list of text styles shown. You can edit the text, too: choose the color, size, and font. Click the Export button to save your video.