12 Best Voice Recording Software
Before recorded music, musicians had to invest in expensive recording studios and specialized equipment to capture their performances on tape. The situation is far different today. You can record yourself with a computer, smartphone, or tablet. We've compiled a list of the 12 best voice recording software options (free and paid).
|Movavi Screen Recorder||Video calls, webinars, and other online events||Windows, macOS||$52.95|
|Audacity||Podcasts, audiobooks, voiceovers, or music||Windows, macOS, Linux||Free|
|WavePad||Audiophiles, music producers, music teachers, music students, voice actors, podcasts, small businesses||Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android Chromebook version||Free for non-commercial use only|
|GarageBand||Music producers, music teachers, voice actors, podcasts, small businesses||Windows and macOS||Free|
|RecordPad||Audiobook creation, digital presentation, or simple message recording||Linux, Mac, Windows, and Android||$50|
|GoldWave||Podcasts, audios, interviews, and webinars, transcription work||Windows, Linux with Wine, Android, iPhone/iPad||1-year license $19 |
Lifetime license $59
|Mixcraft||Professional music producer/mix engineer, songwriter||Windows||$89|
|i-Sound Recorder||Professional music producer/mix engineer, songwriter||Windows||$29.95|
|AV Music Morpher Gold||DJs and home users||Windows, macOS, Linux||$99.95|
|Ardour||Musicians||Windows. Mac, Linux||Free|
|Avid Pro Tools||Budding musicians and home user||Windows and macOS||$299|
|Zynewave Podium||Musicians and producers, and casual users||Windows||Free|
More programs Hide the table
Special pick: Movavi Screen Recorder
Our special pick from the table above is Movavi Screen Recorder. It is a unique video and audio capture program that is easy to use and doesn't require any special skills. You can capture your screen activities, make simple edits, save results, and share them with one of the best voice recorders for a PC and Mac.
Best voice recorder software
Best for: video calls, webinars, and other online events
OS: Windows and Mac
G2 rating: 4.5 out of 5, 46 reviews
Taking a video and audio from your computer screen does not require extra hardware or complex programs. With Movavi Screen Recorder, you can record any screen activity and save it in various video formats. Movavi Screen Recorder is best for recording tutorial video screencasts, gameplay, or even simply a video chat with friends. With a frame rate of up to 60 frames per second, you get stunning high-quality video. You can select one pre-set mode or personalize settings and save the result to any popular video format.
- Easily capture video chats, gameplay, and other screen activity
- Multi-device recording
- Snap and edit screenshots
- Set your click sound, capture keyboard events, and highlight the cursor
- You can store captured videos in any popular format
- SuperSpeed mode allows you to save videos in a matter of seconds
- Uploads to Google Drive or YouTube to share your creations
- Includes a webcam
- You can simultaneously or individually record screen and audio
- It saves video in HD and is compatible with multiple formats, including AVI, MP4, MOV, and MKV
- Captures and edits screenshots
- Supports scheduled recording
- Mouse display during recording
- Recording time caps at five minutes in the trial version
Best for: podcasts, audiobooks, voiceovers, or music
OS: Windows, macOS, Linux
PCMag rating: 4 out of 5
Audacity is one of the best voice recorder software. This open-source application for audio editing and recording has gained a cultic following. There are no bells and whistles, but it works and is free. You can even edit soundbites and news stories using Audacity. Aside from recording audio directly into Audacity, you can edit within the application. You can cut, reduce noise, fade in and out, amplify, and import your audio files.
- Compatible with external microphones
- Mix, cut, and record live audio
- Pitch, reverb, noise reduction, and tempo effects
- File formats supported include WAV, AIFF, MP3, AU, FLAC, and Ogg Vorbis
- Stereo recording made easy
- An easy-to-use interface for beginners
- Effortless workflow
- GUI needs improvements
- It doesn't have a Mac version
- Improvements needed for VST integration
Best for: audiophiles, music producers, music teachers, music students, voice actors, podcasts, small businesses
OS: Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android Chromebook version
Price: free for non-commercial use only
TopTenReviews rating: 3.9 out of 5
An easy-to-use audio editing application edits music, voice, and other audio recordings. For Windows and Mac, this audio editing program combines a full-featured audio and music editor. You can edit voice recordings, music, and other audio files. You can cut, copy, and paste parts of audio files and then apply effects such as echo, amplification, and noise reduction.
- Compatible with external microphones
- Easily adjust the mic volume and more
- Various editing tools, including cut, copy, paste, compression, pitch shifting, etc.
- Add echo, amplification, reverb, and noise reduction effects
- Supports WAV, MP3, VOX, GSM, and WMA
- It has a library of audio effects
- It is easy to understand, even for non-techies
- Cleaning up some bad recordings through the cleanup tools spares you from having to re-record them
- You can easily cut out sections of recordings and insert another audio piece
- WavePad only works with a single audio track. NCH offers MixPad for multi-track editing. We also use MixPad occasionally to mix background music with a voice.
Best for: music producers, music teachers, voice actors, podcasts, small businesses
OS: Windows and macOS
TrustRadius rating: 8.1 out of 10, 20 reviews
GarageBand Music Creation Studio is a complete music creation studio right on your Mac – with a comprehensive audio library including instruments, guitar and voice preset, and a massive collection of session percussionists and drummers. You can learn, play, record, create, and share your hits easily with Touch Bar features for the MacBook Pro and its intuitive, modern design. With these features, you can create music like a pro.
- Using the multi-track music sequencer, you can record multiple audio channels in one song
- The software comes with pre-set technologies that mimic various amplifiers and recording methods
- Uses a MIDI keyboard attached to your computer or your keyboard to control the software instruments
- Using software instruments, you can play synthesizers, pianos, guitars, and choral sounds
- Editing is easy since you can simply select what you want to delete and erase it
- Syncing tracks when editing is as simple as dragging them together
- You can easily insert a click track when needed
- GarageBand is intuitive, so the editing, highlighting, and cutting out parts takes minimal time
- EQing a track can be a little confusing
- Setting up MIDI should be easier
Best for: audiobook creation, digital presentation, or simple message recording
OS: Linux, Mac, Windows, and Android
TopTenReviews rating: 3.5 out of 5
For a "small" product, the interface is simple but deep and designed competently, attractively, and consistent with the rest of the NCH family of products, creating a pleasant user experience. This app for computers uses any microphone, integrates seamlessly with Windows, and is especially useful with Olympus Foot Switch and Express Scribe Transcriber. With RecordPad, you can record audio on your iPhone or iPad easily. When you need to record something spontaneous, 'voice activates' comes in handy.
- Records your screen, camera, and audio simultaneously
- Edit audio, video, and recorded clips simultaneously on different tracks
- Simple screen recording and video editing for everyone
- Professional tools allow you to edit recorded clips quickly
- Edit the video like a professional with plentiful templates, stickers, openers, and effects
- Multi-format export to MP4, MOV, MKV, GIF, and sharing to YouTube
- Don't lose the quality of the video when exporting
- Burning and ripping options are plentiful
- Ideal for basic recording
- File formats are minimal
Best for: podcasts, audios, interviews, and webinars, transcription work
OS: Windows, Linux with Wine, Android, iPhone/iPad
Price: 1-year license for $19, lifetime license for $59
G2 rating: 4.3 out of 5, 25 reviews
With GoldWave, your computer or mobile device becomes a recording studio at your fingertips. You can do everything from recording and editing to advanced audio restoration, enhancement, and conversion. With over 25 million downloads, GoldWave is a popular, trusted program. Users find it easy to use and completely accessible. Besides English, GoldWave supports German, Spanish, French, Chinese, and more!
- You can record audio from any source, including microphones, line inputs, USB devices, and streaming
- Overwrite audio, copy, paste, mix and replace
- Features over 100 pre-set and over 40 audio effects
- 15 real-time visuals, including spectrograms, waveforms, envelopes, and the music staff
- Support for foot pedals during playback, excellent for transcription
- With batch processing, you can perform non-destructive sound editing
- There are no media-burning tools in the program, which is typical of software of this type
Best for: professional music producer/mix engineer, songwriter
MusicRadar rating: 4.5 out of 5
If you are not a professional musician, this is one of your best options. There are a lot of features that require some learning and tutorial video watching before you can use them, but once you do, your creativity only limits you. Making your loops and riffs is easy with this program (you can do it with your keyboard, but it's more accessible with a MIDI controller keyboard). With its warping feature, you can add to or change music files of all types.
There aren't that many pre-made sound loops to choose from, but they are loops and riffs you would use, and you speed them up and slow them down as you please, and they sound pretty decent, just at the slightly lower sound quality.
- Multi-track recording of MIDI and audio tracks
- The Performance Panel automatically syncs audio and MIDI clips on stage or in the studio
- It contains a collection of over 7500 royalty-free loops and samples. There are twenty-one pristine-sounding virtual instruments, two new samplers, Alpha and Omni, and 57 pro audio effects
- Publish music and videos directly to YouTube, Facebook, SoundCloud, MixCloud, Vimeo, and Twitter with one click
- Easily edit video and still images
- Export your videos on a DVD or upload them to YouTube
- Very nice additions to workflow
- An extensive collection of plug-in effects
- Instruments of top quality
- A slick and user-friendly interface
- Great for recording vocals and for singing
- An initial dark impression until you get used to it
- Some instruments need updating
Best for: professional music producer/mix engineer, songwriter
TopTenReviews rating: 3 out of 5
The i-Sound technology enables you to record sound from any source, whether it's an inner or outer source, into mainstream sound configurations without requiring another circle space. A straightforward and intuitive interface makes I-Sound Recorder easy to use. It lets you record and edit soundtracks on your PC. You can measure, adjust, and alter the sound coming from MIDI, the internet, real-time media, circles or games that are currently playing, and the receiver.
i-Sound supports MP3, OGG, WMA, WAV, and APE formats. With advanced options for date and time, span, and rehashing account events, this crucial asset is undoubtedly helpful in planning future account events. With this free toolkit, you can make multiple sound files, change their names and boundaries, and more.
- You can record both the desktop screen and the webcam at the same time
- Professional tools for editing recorded clips
- Multiple templates and effects built-in
- Supports MP4, MOV, MKV, GIF, and other formats
- The mixer has a built-in lock that prevents switching between different software programs during a recording session
- Limited filters and effects options
Best for: DJs and home users
OS: Windows, macOS, Linux
TopTenReviews rating: 3.3 out of 5
AV Music Morpher Gold makes editing audio and performing DJ tasks as easy as pie. Besides its famous patented vocal Remover and Extractor, this software has a brand-new virtual DJ, new Converter functionality, a multi-track recorder, editor, and many other powerful features. You can remix songs, add sound FX, adjust channels, EQ, or any of the hundreds of included studio-quality effects in the DJ module. Using the Converter module, you can convert multi-format audio files.
With version 5.0, the Morphers and Advanced modules we merged have introduced a new compact player mode. Program developers claim the application can transform any PC into a full-fledged production studio, allowing users to make funky hip-hop, DJ remixes, and pop songs.
- Converts audio data from MP3 or WMA to WAV or from OGG, APE, AIF, IRC, NIST, AU, and more
- Ripper tool
- Digital audio recorder
- Cover editor
- Adding sound effects
- Burner tool
- Features audio editing tools, including burners and rippers
- Adds sound effects to music
- Free trial version
- The free trial and regular versions have limitations until you purchase the Gold edition
Best for: musicians
OS: Windows. Mac, Linux
G2 rating: 4 out of 5, 10 reviews
Here's another tool that's great for musicians. Ardour is more focused on enhancing recorded voice, unlike GarageBand, a complete musical workstation for both voice and music. It offers an intuitive interface with a host of features that enhance recorded audio quality. The recording window allows you to cut, stretch or split your audio easily.
Besides multi-track recording, you can also use Ardour can for audio editing. To mix audio and get creative with your recordings, you can import MIDI files and audio from the free sound database or your computer hard drive.
- Add-ons and plug-ins abound
- Records multi-tracks
- Audio editing
- Compatible with all audio engines
- Excellent MIDI capabilities
- Ripple editing
- Compared to other programs, it is less powerful
Best for: budding musicians and home users
OS: Windows and macOS
PCMag rating: 4.5 out of 5
In the same vein as Apple's GarageBand, Avid Pro Tools is an excellent audio workstation that allows budding musicians to make their music with limited investment in musical instruments. A remarkable feature of this app is that it will enable you to create and broadcast music while recording audio.
Recording and composing are much easier with the tool's comprehensive user interface. It allows for cloud collaboration, meaning that you can now work with other artists to create music together via the internet.
MIDI editing, musical pre-sets, loop recording, and auxiliary tracks round out the various features you can use to experiment and create amazing music.
- Non-destructive editing
- Track presets
- MIDI editor
- Input monitoring
- Sound effects
- A deep set of shortcuts and workflows
- Exceptional control over each audio clip
- The UI is excellent (especially for veterans of digital audio workstations)
- The learning curve is steep
- Inconsistent cloud projects
- Stock plug-ins are not competitive
Best for: musicians and producers, and casual users
AlternativeTo rating: 4 out of 5, 2 reviews
Zynewave Podium is a free, full-featured voice recorder program tailored to the needs of Windows users. With this powerful audio recorder, you can capture and edit sound, MIDI, and even use VST effects and instruments. You can also apply any custom sound effects you wish to your recordings. As long as you download and install this software, you can use the software without registering.
- User-friendly interface
- Support different audio effects
- No registration needed
- Updates happen quickly, so you don't have to wait one year for bug fixes
- A simple piano roll
- High customization
- Hardware and software latency compensation
- Once you get used to it, it's easy to use
- It doesn't allow time-stretching
- Dithering is not an option
- There is no drag-and-drop functionality between the browser and the VST
- The audio editor is poor
How to choose the best vocal recording software
Many people automatically assume that free software is of "low quality." However, there are quite a few reliable programs available for free or low cost, and you can download many of them. The following can help you determine which voice recording software best fits your voiceover auditions, demos, or podcasts:
Purpose of voice recording software
As a professional, there is likely to be an expectation that equipment and software are of professional quality. Research the 'pros' use and find out if the program is usually free or a business expense.
Will collaborating with someone be compatible with what you have in your studio? Compatibility is key. You can't anticipate every client's requirements. But at least knowing the industry standard can help to make a good choice when selecting software.
Unless you can use the software, it is of no value to you. The steep learning curve may just be a matter of sitting down and fiddling with it if the software company provides self-help videos or support. If those resources aren't helpful or as available as you'd expect, you might need to look for another voice recording software that meets your needs.
Tools and features
A good voice recorder for your PC will have all the tools you need in an ideal world. Almost all recording software will do what you need, but the interfaces are often filled with bells and whistles that may be helpful or can impede your workflow.
System and hardware
The vocal recording software you choose is compatible not just with the operating system of your computer but also with your microphone and other hardware.
Audio and voice quality
It's all about quality! In the post-production phase, audio files need to be enhanced to some degree, and professional audio engineers know that to achieve high-quality audio, you must use proper recording techniques before editing. Software that allows you to edit your files without leaving noticeable artifacts may be right for you!
Poor ratings mean the program may not be worth your time or money. The voiceover community can offer sound advice here. The input of those who use the software daily is the most valuable. Join community forums to discover how the voiceover community addresses these very questions.
The best vocal recording software depends on you and your needs. We hope this article has helped you consider what to look for in a voice recorder. In summary, here are some of the most important things to consider when choosing the voice recording software for Windows 10 and macOS:
- User-friendliness: Make certain that the app or software you choose is easy to use and suitable for your level of expertise. While many features may be tempting, they can be challenging to use. If possible, select software that offers a free trial to ensure it is what you are looking for.
- Features: Choose a vocal recording app that offers all the features you require. Before purchasing the software, check out the developer's website.
- Formats supported: The best software supports the broadest range of formats, including the most common ones, such as MP4 files.
- User reviews: Before buying any software, it is a good idea to check out the reviews and ratings to see how satisfied other users are with it, as well as identify any issues, bugs, or problems.
- Support: See what support is available – such as live chat, online, or e-mail.
Frequently asked questions
What are the best free online audio-recording tools?
What is the best audio recording software?
Check out this list with one of the high-quality voice recorders for your PC:
Check out this guide for more information:
How can I record high-quality audio from my computer?
You can use Movavi Screen Recorder to record audio from a computer:
- Download and install the desktop recorder.
- Launch the program and select the Screen recording button to record your screen activities.
- You can also capture either input or output sound simultaneously with the program. Just make sure you highlight the active audio in green.
- Click Record to record the software you're using, then click Stop to end the recording.
- Choose the saving settings and save your recording.
Sign up for news and special offers