Windows 11 Snipping Tool not Working [12 Fixes]
Follow the steps to update Windows to KB5008395
Download and install a more reliable screenshot and screen recording app
At Movavi, we’re committed to providing you with verified information only. Here’s what we do to ensure this:
When selecting troubleshooting problems and solutions to include in our articles, we research both demand and popularity.
All software fixes mentioned in this article have been tested by Movavi Content Team.
When testing, we aim to highlight the best solutions and what they’re best suited for.
We study user experience and reviews from popular review platforms and make use of this information when writing our articles.
We collect feedback from our users and analyze their opinions of Movavi software as well as products from other companies.
5 main reasons Snipping Tool is not working
12 fixes for Windows 11 Snipping Tool not working
1. The official fix from Microsoft: Update Windows
2. Use an alternative app for taking screenshots
3. Turn off Focus Assist
4. Perform a clean boot in Windows 11
5. Reinstall Snipping Tool if this app can’t open
6. Delete and reset your shortcut
7. Reset the Snipping Tool app on your computer
8. Check your save destination
9. Disable Auto Copy to Clipboard
10. Use “classic” Snipping Tool from your “Windows.old” folder
11. Disable automatic time on your computer
12. Enable the Print Screen keyboard shortcut
Frequently asked questions
Why is Snipping Tool not working?
Snipping Tool may not be working because:
Focus Assist is enabled.
The Snipping Tool app is corrupted.
Your graphics driver has not been updated.
Third-party apps are interfering with Snipping Tool.
Your Snipping Tool certificate is expired due to a bug in the Windows 11 update.
Does Snipping Tool work on Windows 11?
Snipping Tool can work on Windows 11 if you have updated to the KB5008295 version or by running Snipping Tool direction from your computer’s “Windows.old” folder. These strategies help you get around the “expired certificate” glitch from the Windows 11 update.
Sign up for news and special offers