Edited: 2019-04-04 By Nataly Bogorad
List of the Best Free Video Compressors
The Movavi Video Converter is one of the best video converting software. It is a video compression software with a simple and easy to understand interface, good video editing features, compatibility with many video and media formats and high-quality retention of video quality.
Every video comes with a specific format so different videos have different formats. A video file format is a structure in which a video recording is stored in a computer’s memory, on disc or other digital media. Different file formats have their different uses and what might be the right video format for one file might not be the right one for another file.
A normal video file in a digital format consists of two parts: a codec and a container. A codec is a program that is used to compress and decompress a video file, as there are times when some video clips are too large and may, therefore, be difficult to download or play. Some examples of codecs are FFMpeg, DivX, XviD, and x264. A container is a special file (or a collection of files) that stores information about the digital file. It is a combination of both audio and video data in a single file to allow for synchronized audio with video playback. Examples of some popular containers are AVI, MP4, FLV, and MOV.
The most common video format is the MP4. Sometimes though, you may have issues with the speed and size of your MP4 video and because of that, be in need of a video compressor. Here is a list of the top 8 MP4 compressors with quality video compression software.
Best MP4 Video Compression Software
Movavi Video Converter is one of the top video compressors. It is a video compression software that allows for high-quality file encoding, fast processing and easy compressing of videos. The program supports a wide range of media formats like iPad, iPod, cellphones, PC, and Mac.
- It has a built-in editor that enables you to enhance files before conversion.
- It produces good quality conversion of video clips.
- Only the trial version is free.
This free MP4 compressor consists of an extensive list of output selections including MP4, AVI, MPG, WMV, ROM and several other formats. It allows you to compress your MP4 video file to formats which are compatible with a wide range of multimedia devices and software like your PC or Mac. To use, just select the format you want your video compressed to.
- It has an appealing and easy to understand interface.
- It has a wide range of tools for video compression.
- Upgrading it to the Gold Version is not free.
This video editing software owned by Microsoft is a fast freeware that allows for easy MP4 compression. The freeware doesn't work with all file types though and if your video file is in a different format, you might have to use an online converter to convert it to a file type that is supported by the software. Compressing video files is really easy as you just import the required clip into the program and then compress it.
- Video files can be compressed without losing quality.
- The user interface of the program is easy to use.
- It doesn’t support all file types.
- Previous versions of the software (Windows Movie Maker 2012) don’t work anymore.
This video compression software is one of the best for video compression. It is a free video compressor that offers a wide range of options for video compressing and accepts formats like RMVB, MP4, AVI, MOV, MKV, FLV and many more. It works with fast speed and shrinks video size while retaining high video quality. Compressed files with Any Video Converter are compatible with output devices like iPod, cell phones, mac and pc and is, therefore, a good choice for video compression.
- It is fast and retains video quality.
- Compressed files can be easily edited.
- It is not supported on Linux.
This is a good compression software that allows you to compress your MP4 files for free. It allows you to compress your files into different formats and even burn video files to DVD, so you can watch it on a DVD player. Compressing files is easy as all you need to do is to add your video to the program by drag and drop or by using the built-in file browser to pick video files.
- It is compatible with all recent 32-bit and 64-bit editions of the Microsoft Windows OS.
- It allows you to burn video files to DVD.
- It does not support all media devices (e.g. iPhone and Android).
FFMPEG is a free video converter that allows for MP4 video compression. It has an easy to use interface and supports video formats like AVI, MP4, MOV and many more.
- It has an easily accessible interface.
- It supports various video formats.
- The quality of the video may reduce during the file compression process.
This is one of the best free video size reducers. It is a great high-quality video compressor that allows you to open, compress and play most movie formats including MPEG files. The program also allows you to edit videos and convert them into muxed or demuxed files without losing the quality of the video. It is also compatible with other devices like iPhone, iPad, Android and a lot more.
- It is compatible with a wide variety of formats and devices.
- It retains the high quality of videos and allows you to edit them.
- Doesn’t work without a QuickTime app installed to your computer.
HandBrake was first designed as Mac-only tool, but now there is also a Windows version. It is a video compression app with a lot of features including batch processing and DVD ripping. It also supports quite a number of formats. While being a good way to compress your files, this software may take some time for beginners to learn. Due to utilitarian interface working with this app can be pretty time-consuming.
- It supports batch conversion.
- It works with many video formats.
- Working with it may be complicated for beginners.
This is a comprehensive list of the 8 best free programs to make video compression an easy job for you. With these programs, you can compress and edit your video clips and not even have to worry about losing the quality of your video.
When you feel the need to convert your video files to a compatible form or for easy accessibility, remember that the Movavi Video Converter is a great tool for fast an easy video compression. You can download the trial version of the program and, if you like it, buy the full version afterwards. Try these programs today and get quality compressed videos to upload to the internet, put on a storage device and use whenever you want!
Movavi Video Converter
The ideal way to get your media in the format you need!
- Convert video, audio, DVDs, and image files
- Enjoy lightning-fast conversion without quality loss
- Improve quality, adjust sound, trim and join files before converting
- Save video and audio clips for easy mobile access