How to convert .opus to .mp3
Edited by Ben Jacklin
August 10, 2022
What is Opus? It’s an open audio codec and file format designed to transmit voice notes and music over the Internet. Opus is mainly used by music streaming services, video conferencing apps, and messengers, such as WhatsApp and Telegram. It offers a low lag in transmitting data while maintaining a high quality of sound.
However, since the format is relatively new, it’s not supported by all applications and devices. So, if you have a problem opening a file with the .opus extension, one of the best solutions is to turn the file into a more popular format, for example, MP3.
What is the Opus file format?
Opus is a lossy audio coding format that allows the coding of general audio and speech into a single format. Its short latency makes it ideal for recording telephony, voice over IP, and videoconferencing.
To convert Opus to MP3, you can use the Opus-to-MP3 converter online above or a desktop version described below. Read the article and choose the option that suits you best.
How to convert Opus to MP3 with Movavi Video Converter
To convert your files quickly and easily, try using Movavi Video Converter. The software lets you convert videos, audio files, and images, and also provides editing and compression options, prepares files for use on Apple and Android devices, and much more. Just download the converter for Windows or Mac and read the guide below to learn how to convert Opus to MP3.
Step 1. Install the Opus-to-MP3 converter
Download the installation file for the Opus-to-MP3 converter for PC or Mac and install it following the on-screen instructions. After the installation is complete, the program will open automatically.
Step 2. Add files to the program
Click the Add Media button, and then select Add Audio. Choose the files you want to convert and click Open. The program supports batch processing, so you can add multiple files at once. This advantage is exclusive to the desktop converter; the online Opus-to-MP3 converter doesn’t work with batches.
Step 3. Select the output format
Open the Audio tab in the lower part of the program window. Click MP3 and select a preset with the appropriate bitrate. Remember that the higher the bitrate and the quality of the file, the more space it will take.
Step 4. Convert Opus files to MP3
Converted files are saved to the “Movavi Library” folder by default. If you want to change the destination folder, click the Save to button in the bottom-right part of the program window and specify a different folder. To change the format of the Opus file to MP3, click the Convert button.
Opus vs. MP3 comparison table
|File size||Usually smaller than MP3||Usually bigger than Opus|
|Channels||Up to 255||Up to 2|
|Sample rate in Hz||8000-48000||8000-48000|
|Usage||Telephony, VoIP, videoconferencing||PCs, CDs, DVDs, digital players|
View all parameters Hide the table
As you can see, the Opus and MP3 formats have very few differences (at least for everyday use). MP3 is a more widely used format, so you might consider converting Opus files to MP3 online or offline for ease of sharing.
Frequently asked questions
What is the Opus file format?
The Opus audio format is a lossy open audio format released in 2012 by the Xiph.Org Foundation. The Opus audio codec was designed for encoding speech and audio in a single format. Opus files are used in apps like WhatsApp and generally have a .opus file extension.
How to convert Opus to MP3 on Mac?
If you need an Opus-to-MP3 converter for Mac, try Movavi Video Converter:
Download the Opus-to-MP3 converter, install and launch it.
- Click Add Media, select Add Audio, locate the Opus files, and confirm your choice.
- Open the Audio tab, click MP3, and find a suitable bitrate.
- To launch the Opus-to-MP3 converter software, click Convert.
How to open Opus files?
How to play Opus files on Android?
How to convert Opus to MP3 with FFmpeg?
To convert WhatsApp audio to MP3, you can use FFmpeg. Follow these instructions:
Download and install the .opus-to-.mp3 converter from the official website:
- Open the folder your source file is located at.
- Click the File Explorer’s address bar, enter “cmd”, and press Enter.
- Type “ffmpeg -i “inputfilename.opus” “outputfilename.mp3””. Press Enter again. The Opus converter will start processing the file and will save it to the same folder where the input is.
How to convert Opus to MP3 with VLC?
If you’re looking for a free Opus-to-MP3 converter for Windows 10, take a look at VLC. Follow these instructions:
Get VLC from an official website:
- Open the Media menu and click Convert/Save.
- Click Add and locate the Opus file. Click Convert/Save.
- In the Profile list, choose Video - H.264 + MP3 (MP4).
- Click the Wrench icon. In the Encapsulation tab, select MP3. In the Audio codec tab, open the Codec drop-down list and choose MP3. Click Save.
- Click Browse, select the target folder, and enter the name for the converted file, including the “.mp3” extension.
- To change .opus to .mp3, click Start.
How to convert Opus to MP3 on Linux?
If you cannot find suitable desktop software, try the free Opus-to-MP3 converter online at the top of this page:
Scroll up to the online converter:
Online converter by Movavi
- Click Add Your File and upload the Opus file on your computer.
- Make sure that MP3 is chosen as the target format.
- Click Convert. After thу processing, the file will be downloaded to your computer.
Sign up for news and special offers