Edited by Pat Bitton
December 16, 2020
Top 11 Best Split-Screen Video Editors
Do you have a presentation coming up? Preparing a video for your audience is one of the best ways to keep them engaged and help them understand the information you are passing across. However, basic videos alone don't always cut it. If you need to give comparisons during a video presentation, a split-screen video editor will come in handy.
Before you learn what a split-screen video maker is, it's best to understand a split-screen video. A split-screen is the result that occurs when two or more screens are added in one frame. In essence, it is a method of displaying two videos side by side. A split-screen video editor is a tool that enables you to create a side-by-side video.
Instead of incurring the costs and going through the hassle of setting up multiple monitors, find a free split-screen video editing tool. There are many free split-screen video maker software available. Along with the free ones, some have a subscription fee. Each, however, is unique and suitable for different users with varying needs.
Therefore, you must assess your needs and select a split-screen video editor that is suitable. In this article, you will get a breakdown of the best screen split software, learn the features, and how to make a split-screen video.
Best Desktop Split-Screen Video Makers
If you want high-quality split-screen editing software, then Adobe Premiere Pro is an excellent option. The fact that it is used in the post-production process by video makers in Hollywood speaks volumes about it. On-top of its split-screen capabilities, the Adobe Premiere Pro is a top-range video editor that offers additional features such as adjusting colors and fine-tuning audio, among others.
How to put two videos side by side using Adobe Premiere Pro:
- Add the videos you want to be displayed at the same time on the platform.
- Trim the clips accordingly to ensure they are all the same length.
- Turn off the top videos so that you're left with the bottom one.
- Click on the Effects panel and add the Crop effect.
- Adjust the crop, scale, and position of the video as per your desire.
- Repeat the previous three steps with each of the clips in your sequence.
- The interface is very responsive, translating to more productivity and efficiency
- It has an immersive Virtual Reality (VR) support to assist users with challenging editing tasks
- It can be easily integrated with other Adobe products, making collaborative tasks more efficient
- Supports many video formats
- Not suitable for beginners
- Free use is limited to 30 days
- High system requirements
Lightworks is a professional split-screen video maker that offers cross-platform functionality. This means you can use it on Mac, Windows, and Linux. Along with the easy-to-use split-screen capabilities, it also provides a wide range of video editing tools. Users have access to online support during business hours to ensure they are able to complete their projects.
How to create side by side videos using the Lightworks' video split-screen feature:
- Add the video tracks in the program.
- Go to the DVE category and apply the DVE effect.
- Trim the videos to ensure they are of the same length.
- Repeat the first two steps until you achieve the desired effect.
Check out the pros and cons of using this split-screen video maker.
- Suitable for beginners
- Supports high-definition videos
- Easy to use
- Has social sharing
- You can combine up to four videos
- After the free trial version, you will have to pay a subscription fee
- Limited output formats
- Limited split-screen presets
When it comes to choosing a split-screen video editor, Movavi Video Editor Plus is undoubtedly one to consider. Available for both Mac and Windows users, the tool is easy to use and produces excellent professional-like split-screen videos. The program can export videos to a wide range of output formats and has other video-editing features such as applying transitions and adding music.
Once you have downloaded and installed Movavi Video Editor Plus, you can create side by side videos using the following steps.
- Launch the program on your device and select New project and add the video files you want to combine.
- Click Add Files to upload your videos to the program and drag and drop them to the Timeline.
- From the video track, select one of the videos and drag it up to the Timeline to create an overlay track. Double click the video on the overlay track to select the editing mode, for this case, side by side. Select the position for the video on the overlay track.
- Add other videos on the overlay track.
- Adjust the position of the videos as desired by dragging on them on the edges.
- Click the mute track icon on the overlay track. Click on the Import tab and select music to add background music from the built-in library. Once the download is complete, drag and drop the audio file on the Timeline.
- Click Export when the video is ready and choose whether to save the video on the device or convert it for online use.
- Professional quality yet easy to use
- Additional features that enhance the production quality
- You can export videos in all the popular formats
- You can merge as many videos as you wish
- The free trial version is limited
For Mac users, another suitable split-screen video maker is Final Cut Pro. With this professional video maker, you will have access to exceptional editing tools as well as split-screen capabilities. Some of its primary features that will help you create stunning videos are special effects, motion graphics, and filters, among others. If you like a hands-on approach to editing your videos, you will enjoy using Final Cut Pro.
To create side by side videos with this split-screen video editor, you need to:
- Click on the timeline window and select Add Video Tracks.
- Set the number of videos you want side by side video.
- Drag and drop the video files on the Timeline. Position your clips on the Timeline based on how you want the final video to be.
- Select the top video in the Timeline Window to activate it, and then proceed to click on Image and Wireframe from the drop-down menu in the far right of the Sequence Window.
- Click the upper right corner of the blue box that appears and drag the video and resize it.
- Repeat the process for each of the clips you want to incorporate.
- Easy to use and fast delivery
- Has built-in tools that allow you to modify audio
- Easy to organize your video and audio files
- The one-off payment is relatively steep
One of the best video editing tools that offer reliable split-screen video online features is iMovie. However, it is only available for Mac and iOS users and fairly easy to combine videos. Though it does not have as many features as high-end video editing tools, it is excellent for personal use.
Check out the steps below to learn how to use iMovie on a Mac.
- Drag the video clips to the Timeline.
- Select the Side by Side option in the overlay settings.
- Use the Crop and Zoom features to adjust the video as desired.
- Click the Position icon in the overlay settings to rearrange your videos.
To use the iMovie split-screen video editor on iPad, you should:
- Select the first video for your split screen in your movie timeline.
- Add the other videos by tapping the plus sign on top.
- Select Split-screen.
- To arrange the clips, highlight two and tap the swap button in the viewer.
- Use Crop and Zoom settings as well as the line feature to adjust the video as desired.
Here are pros and cons of using this split-screen video editor.
- Highly intuitive, making it easy for beginners to use the tool
- Has an autosave feature
- Easy to share videos on social platforms
- Relatively inexpensive
- Limited audio for video editing
- Some features tend to freeze
Shotcut is a free and open-source multi-format video editing tool for Mac, Windows, and Linux. One of its main features is the split-screen video maker feature that allows you to make industry-standard side by side videos. Since it is a free split-screen video editor, you do not require any activation key or registration to use it. You can go straight to slit screen editing after installation.
The following steps will guide you on how to use this free split-screen video-editing tool.
- Import the video clips to the media bin and drag one to the Timeline.
- Press Ctrl + I to add or remove files on the Timeline.
- Select the first video you added to the track and press Filters and then resize and position it as desired.
- Repeat the previous step with the rest of the videos.
- Free to use
- Available for Windows, Linux, macOS, and FreeBSD platforms
- You can add up to four videos when using presets
- Supports HD resolution
- Offers text overlay
- Training documents available
- It may require some time to get used to due to the manual approach
DaVinci Resolve is an ideal option for video editors who want a tool that can support 8K resolution. Beyond being a non-linear post-production tool, it is also an impressive split-screen video editor. Under the brand name DaVinci Resolve, there are two product offerings. There's a free version that only goes by DaVinci Resolve, and then there's DaVinci Resolve Studio, which attracts a one-off lifetime subscription fee. With the latter, you will get industry-standard outputs and features.
Here are the steps on how to use DaVinci Resolve as a split-screen video maker:
- Import videos to the video screen splitter and drag them to the Timeline under separate tracks.
- Select the split-screen feature.
- Use the zoom and crop features to resize the videos.
- Position the videos as per your needs.
- You can choose between the professional-standard and free version
- Can incorporate up to four videos
- Supports 8K resolution
- Available for Windows, Linux, and Mac
- Offers advanced features such as speed adjustment and video stabilization
- Has an extensive media library
- For beginners, the interface may be confusing
- The subscription fee for the industry-standard version is relatively high
Whether you are a beginner or have advanced video editing skills, you will enjoy using VSDC Video Editor. It is a free non-linear tool that supports a wide range of video and audio formats and codecs. Along with split-screen editing, it offers other impressive features such as desktop screen, capturing video, and voice over recording. However, it is only available for Windows users. Some of the video effects you'll also enjoy using are picture-in-picture, background remover (Chroma key), and color correction, among others.
How to put two videos side by side on VSDC:
- Add the first clip to the Timeline and drag and fit it to the left part of the scene.
- Click on the Coordinates button on the Properties Window to set the dimensions, depending on the number of videos you want to add.
- Click Import to add the other videos.
- Make sure your videos have similar quality and duration.
- When using one video for both sides, click Duplicate.
- Position your videos and spread them evenly on the working area.
- Save the file.
- Supports a wide range of video and audio formats
- Has a subscription and free version
- The interface is easy to understand and use
- Has plenty of video editing features that allow you to enhance the quality
- Not ideal for professional-quality editing
Best Tools to Make a Split-Screen Video Online
When it comes to video editing tools, Movavi is fast becoming the go-to brand. Fastreel is another one of their products that has an effective split screen video maker. Instead of downloading software to your devices, Fastreel allows you to perform video editing online. To ensure your files are secure, the data security measures on the platform will prevent any unauthorized access. The clear and simple interface makes split-screen editing relatively simple, even for beginners. In addition to merging videos, it also has some exciting features that allow you to reverse, flip, rotate, resize, loop, and add text to videos.
Steps for making a side-by-side video with Fastreel:
Visit the online split-screen video editor website on your favorite browser.
- Select a template depending on the number of videos you want to use.
- Click Upload file to upload the video files.
- Mute the audio track if needed.
- Click Export Result to download the video.
- The interface is clear and simple to use
- There are plenty of templates to choose from, and you can even create a video collage with multiple screens
- You do not have to pay a subscription to save your video, but it will have a Fastreel watermark
- Reliable customer support
- You need to pay a subscription fee to save videos without a watermark
Do you want to create a YouTube, TikTok, or other types of video showcasing different outfits or comparing something? Kapwing offers a reliable split-screen video maker that's not only easy but also fun to use. Being a free web app, you can access it via your favorite browser and begin split-screen editing. Along with videos, it allows you to make collages using images and GIFs, using different frame shapes. With Kapwing, you will have access to many output formats and a wide range of video editing features.
Steps for creating split-screen videos using Kapwing:
Visit the Kapwing website on your browser.
- Select the split-screen preset that you prefer.
- Click Replace on any of the segments on the template to upload a video clip.
- Repeat the previous step for all the other segments.
- Drag the video clips to place each in the preferred position.
- Use the additional tools such as cropping to make sure the videos meet the requirements for the desired use.
- Click Done and Publish to have your clips as a split-screen video.
Check out pros and cons of using this split-screen video maker.
- Free to use
- You can make a split video with up to four videos
- Output file does not have a watermark
- There are preset templates that make it easy to use
- Relatively slow when uploading videos
- You must register and sign in to remove the watermark from the output file
With years of experience providing video editing solutions and over 30 million accounts to date, WeVideo is one of the most popular tools. It is a cloud-based software that offers a collaborative video creation platform. This is why it is suitable for different groups of consumers, such as students, educators, and businesses. Along with its impeccable video editing capabilities, it is also a split-screen video maker. You can upload or capture videos and work on them at home, in the office, or on the go.
To create split-screen videos using WeVideo, you will need to take the following steps.
Open the website on your favorite browser.
- Go to the Create a new section and click on Video. Scroll to the Let's get started section and choose a layout. On the bottom right corner click Start editing.
- Go to the My Media section and click Add, then Browse to Select and add the video files.
- Drag and drop the videos in the My media section to the Timeline and place them on separate layers, each below the previous one.
- Choose any video in the Timeline and click on the Open clip editor tab on the upper-left side of the track.
- Reduce the size of the video using the Scale Slider.
- Drag the video to reposition it as desired and press Save Changes.
- Repeat the previous three steps for each of the videos.
- Click the Finish button on the upper-right corner and enter a name for the video on the textbox. Select the settings that you prefer and click Export for the app to create the split-screen video.
Check out the pros and cons of using WeVideo for split-screen editing.
- The interface is easy to navigate
- You do not need prior editing experience to make split-screen videos
- Allows multiple users to collaborate on projects
- Free to use
- Has a wide range of video editing features to allow you to enhance videos
- Multiple videos can be used for the split-screen
- You need to pay a subscription fee to remove the watermark
- It can have glitches during signup
- Uploading and downloading videos can take time
Frequently Asked Questions
Split-screen videos are videos that have two or more screens in one frame. Traditionally, such videos have been mostly used for cinematic production. However, as more user-friendly tools have been developed, their use is now just as much personal as it is professional.
Split-screen videos are effective in a wide range of scenarios where you need to compare and emphasize something. Instead of using separate monitors or toggling between videos, a split-screen video maker can help you combine two videos in one frame and have them play simultaneously. Split-screen videos can be used for presentations, tutorials, and educational purposes.
Aside from Hollywood productions, split-screen videos have a wide range of uses today. Educators and speakers use them to make their presentations more engaging and easier to grasp, especially when it's necessary to make a comparison.
Another professional use of split-screen videos that's fast gaining popularity is for sports analysis. Sports coaches and pundits use such videos to compare and explain sports plays to players and fans.
For personal use, people are now using a split-screen maker to create videos for social platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok. In such videos, users can showcase different outfits, meals, etc.
Windows Movie Maker does not have split-screen editing capabilities. As such, you'll need to find a split-screen video editor.
Movavi Video Editor Plus
Your next step in video-making
- Edit video clips, images, and audio on a timeline
- Add transitions, filters, titles, and stickers
- Animate objects using keyframes, use more built-in media
- Export videos in any popular format
* The free version of Movavi Video Editor Plus has the following restrictions: 7-day trial period, watermark on the output videos, and, if you’re saving a project as an audio file, an ability to save only half the audio length. Learn more