Edited by Ben Jacklin
November 16, 2020
Best Free MP4 Converters
If you're in need of free MP4 converters to convert MP4 files to other formats, or vice versa, here are several options available to meet your needs.
If you're in need of reliable, free MP4 converters to convert MP4 files to other formats, or vice versa, there are several options available to meet your needs. With so many converters out there to choose from, it can be difficult to find the most effective converter or a product that offers more than simple conversion. Whether you're looking for downloadable MP4 converter software or a free online converter, you can use the following MP4 converters for free. They're easy to use, safe, and user-friendly, and we've provided some reviews to help you decide on the right converter for you.
Free MP4 Converters Online
When looking for the ideal MP4 converter, you may not want to deal with any software downloads and instead look for a web-based solution. If you're looking for online converters for MP4, regardless of whether you use a Mac or Windows PC, the following are some of our favorite options. Using these platforms, you can simply upload your MP4 or other videos to the browser-based converter and complete the MP4 conversion entirely through their websites. Like the software options we've also reviewed, each website listed here is safe to use and secure, without the risk of downloading malicious software with your videos or having your sensitive data stolen or sold to a third party.
If you’re looking for an MP4 converter for free, FreeConvert.com is a solid option. This is a fast and simple tool that offers some extra security with 256 bit SSL encryption. Plus, they delete the video file from the server after 2 hours.
The program has support for many popular file formats – 60 in total – and it runs on a three-step process: Choose your file, select a format, and convert. More advanced users can take advantage of the other advanced features where you can alter the resolution, aspect ratio, frame rates, and codecs. You can also flip and rotate your videos and integrate some subtitles.
It’s a great free option if you just need to convert a single file that’s under 1 GB.
- More secure than a lot of online converters on the market
- Can handle batch conversions for 20 videos
- Compression features are nice
- Limited file size at 1 GB
Flvto.biz is another MP4 online converter that's free to use, simple in its design, and fast. It functions primarily as a YouTube video converter that you can use for free downloading of YouTube videos. However, you can also use it to convert files from your computer into MP4 or other formats, including MP4 HD or AVI. Whether you use a Mac, Windows, or Linux operating system, this platform is compatible with every device. This free MP4 video converter also allows you to download video and audio from many other websites beyond YouTube, including Dailymotion, Vimeo, and even social media sites like Facebook. A desktop version of this YouTube to MP4 converter is also available.
- Flvto.biz is simple and easy to use for basic file conversions to convert in MP4 and other formats.
- The service can be used with websites like YouTube and other video hosting sites to convert online video to MP4.
- Flvto.biz can download audio separately from videos.
- A free desktop version is also available.
- There’s a lack of other features outside of file conversion.
- Some users have reported a lack of customer support and technical issues with the desktop application.
Read reviews of Flvto.biz on Trustpilot.
For a free MP4 converter online that offers more than simple MP4 video conversion, consider CloudConvert. This free converter to MP4 is a little different in that it allows you to edit files before converting. It's also easy to use and works with many other files beyond video, with the ability to convert audio, images, ebooks, and much more with over 200 file formats. In addition to uploading files from your computer, you can also convert files from your Google Drive or Dropbox account. Once you've chosen the file formats and uploaded your file, you can modify various aspects of the video including the video codec, Constant Rate Factor (CRF), preset, tune, profile, level, width, height, and more. Your data will remain secure when converting, and CloudConvert has partnered with multiple software vendors to provide high-quality conversions. The many features and capabilities make CloudConvert one of the most reliable online converters available.
- CloudConvert supports more than 200 file formats.
- The service facilitates high-quality conversion without any loss of quality.
- CloudConvert keeps data secure with every conversion.
- There are various editing features to further optimize conversions.
- A paid subscription or package is required to access unlimited file uploads and batch conversion capabilities.
Read reviews of CloudConvert on G2.
Convertio is another simple yet feature-rich converter. You can use this MP4 converter online for free as well, and you get a lot without the need to pay for a premium version or download software. Convertio makes it easy to simply drag and drop files, or you can select files from your computer, Google Drive, Dropbox, or a URL from a website like YouTube. This free MP4 video converter features 125 MP4 conversions and many other file formats, is entirely secure with an SSL certificate, and functions as an editor in addition to a converter. Editing features allow you to resize, rotate, adjust the quality of, and change the volume of your videos. The only issue you might experience with the free version is the 100 MB maximum file size for uploads with the free version.
- Convertio supports many MP4 conversions and a wide range of file formats.
- The service allows users to edit videos in addition to converting.
- Users can convert videos from URLs in addition to files on their devices or cloud storage accounts.
- SSL certificate keeps users' data safe and secure.
- 100 MB maximum file size may be too limiting for some users; you will need to pay for a paid plan for larger file sizes and other benefits.
Read reviews of Convertio on Trustpilot.
ConvertFiles is an online converter that may look very simple, but it's considered one of the more reliable converters and can give you consistent results. The bare-bones look of this website allows users to upload their files and convert them to several popular and less common file formats, with the ability to adjust the quality or screen size before converting. It's one of the simpler MP4 file converters, and you won't find many features beyond the basic modification capabilities. In addition to videos, you can also use ConvertFiles to convert audio, images, archives, presentations, spreadsheets, and more. If you want a simple and dependable, no-frills free MP4 converter, you can't go wrong with this option.
- ConvertFiles is quick and easy to use as a basic converter.
- The service allows users to convert MP4s and other file types, including videos, audio, images, and more.
- ConvertFiles can adjust quality or size of files when converting.
- Simple, minimalist design and lack of features may not be ideal for some users looking for more from their MP4 converters.
Read reviews of ConvertFiles on WOT.
Want MP4 movie converters to enable you to edit certain aspects of your videos, including audio? OnlineConvert.com is a good tool to use as a fast and user-friendly solution. You can easily convert MP4 files and many other file formats—simply drag and drop files in the upload box, upload them from a folder, or upload files from Dropbox or Google Drive. It also enables you to paste URLs from other video hosting sites like YouTube to download videos. From there, you can choose a preset for your video, and edit various features of the video including the screen size, aspect ratio, video bitrate, file size, and more. You can also change audio quality, audio channels, and audio codecs. A Google Chrome extension is also available for even more convenience.
- OnlineConvert.com allows for many file conversions beyond MP4.
- The service can convert files from your device, Dropbox, or Google Drive.
- OnlineConvert.com can download videos from sites like YouTube.
- There are various video and audio editing features.
- Somewhat cluttered web design may not appeal to some users.
Read reviews of OnlineConvert.com on Trustpilot.
Free MP4 Converters for Desktop
If you would rather download MP4 converting software to your Mac or Windows computer, there are plenty of safe and easy-to-use programs available. You can simply visit each developer's website to download the video converter to MP4 compatible devices. They're entirely free to download and use, and you can benefit from additional editing features with several of these downloads. Some also function as MP4 players and can also play other media using codecs your system may not otherwise support, including less common file types.
- Movavi Free Video Converter
- VLC Media Player
- Freemake Video Converter
- DVDVideoSoft Free MP4 Video Converter
- Movavi Free Video Converter
- VLC Media Player
- Freemake Video Converter
- DVDVideoSoft Free MP4 Video Converter
In need of a versatile downloadable digital movie to MP4 converter? Movavi Free Video Converter is a great option that can give you consistent results. You can benefit from fast media conversion free of charge, with access to many file formats for conversions beyond MP4. You can also convert video to audio to save music from videos, and you can also convert other file types including images or photos. It features an intuitive design that's incredibly easy to pick up and use, and you can contact the customer support team if you need assistance when using this software.
- Movavi Free Video Converter supports over 180 media file formats.
- The program includes over 200 presets for myriad mobile devices, including devices from brands such as Apple, Samsung, Sony, and Xiaomi.
- The app facilitates high-quality conversions without any sacrifice in quality.
- All your conversions are safe and secure.
- Customer support is available to provide assistance at any time.
- To gain access to video editing and other options with this MP4 converter, unblocked features are only accessible with the paid version.
VLC, or VideoLAN Client, is a great tool to use as both an MP4 freeware download for file conversion and a media player. This software is a reliable file player that includes certain codecs that many other media players don't, and it's compatible with both Mac and Windows computers. For example, you can use it to play AVI files on a Mac, which other default Apple-supported players may not play. It's also a convenient file converter that makes it easy to convert MP4 files to many other media file types. If you want to convert movies to MP4 for free and be able to watch your videos using the same software, you can't go wrong with VLC.
- Software functions as both file converter and universal media player.
- The program includes many codecs that aren't available on some systems, allowing you to play files that other native players may not support.
- VLC is safe and secure to download, as one of the more established and reputable MP4 converters and freeware media players.
- Some users have reported issues with media playback, primarily with DVDs.
- Outdated design may not attract some users.
Read a review of VLC Media Player by TechRadar.
For an option that's both an online and downloadable MP4 freeware converter, Freemake Video Converter can give you the best of both worlds. You can use its website as a simple way to convert movies to MP4 for free, or you can download and install the Freemake Video Converter software to use on your device. The advantage of using the software is that you have more options when it comes to modifying the parameters of your videos. Before converting, you can use the software to edit video and audio codecs, the frame size, frame rate, bitrate, and other features. You can also save any custom settings as a preset for future conversions, making it even easier to use if you need it for frequent converting.
- Freemake Video Converter supports many file formats, including MP4 and a wide range of other video formats.
- The app includes both online and offline software versions.
- Software includes the ability to edit various video parameters.
- There is no Mac version.
- Editing features included with the software aren't available on the website.
Read a review of Freemake Video Converter by TechRadar.
Many people think of Apple's QuickTime Player as a simple media player that's included as the default on every Mac computer. However, it can also function as a free converter to MP4 and other file formats. If you have a Mac, then you likely already have access to this converter, but you can also download the application for Windows computers. For a quick and simple file converter that also doubles as a media player, this is a decent alternative to VLC.
- QuickTime Player is included on many Mac computers already, which means you may not need to download it.
- You can use it as both a media player and file converter.
- QuickTime is well-established as safe, Apple-supported software without any worries regarding spyware, ads, or malicious software.
- The program doesn't provide many editing options for conversions; it functions primarily as a media player.
Read reviews of QuickTime on Mac Update.
To get one of the more versatile MP4 converters for free, download HandBrake for easy conversions and multiple features. You can use HandBrake to convert video from just about any format, whether you use a Mac or Windows computer. In addition to converting files to nearly any other format, you can also benefit from several other features. Some added features include title, chapter, and range selection, chapter markers, support for both VFR and CFR, a live static and video preview feature, various video filters, and subtitles.
- HandBrake comes with many features beyond MP4 conversion.
- The app is safe to download as one of the more reputable free MP4 converters.
- There is an active forum and community to help you get the most from this software.
- The conversion option is not very user-friendly.
Read a review of HandBrake by TechRadar.
DVDVideoSoft Free MP4 Video Converter is a great free program that does exactly what you want it to – convert videos for free. The interface is simple, clutter-free, and allows you to quickly and painlessly convert a single video or in batches. There’s a small number of output options for this program, but for free software, it has all the popular ones you need. You can merge clips as well.
- Processes conversions very quickly
- Batch conversion features
- Interface is simple
- The free version has a watermark on converted videos
- Limited output options
Read a review of Free MP4 Video Converter by TechRadar.
A Paid Alternative to Free MP4 Converters: Movavi Video Converter
While a free MP4 converter can enable you to easily convert your favorite videos to nearly any format, Movavi Video Converter is a more secure and user-friendly alternative. Movavi Video Converter makes it easy to convert MP4 video to other formats, or convert a video to MP4, with plenty of supported file formats. In addition to serving as a reliable MP4 converter, it also functions as a video editing software. Before converting your files, you can adjust the quality and volume of your videos, and you can also join or trim clips to further edit files prior to conversion.
To learn more about the benefits of Movavi Video Converter and how you can use this high-quality software to convert MP4 videos and more.
Read a review of Movavi Free Video Converter by Top Ten Reviews.
Whether you're looking for a free solution to convert MP4 videos or a better paid alternative, Movavi has the right solution for you. Once you've tried Movavi Free Video Converter for free, download the full version of our software for additional features and support. You'll see what makes our software one of the safest and most convenient options available for Mac and Windows users.
Have any questions about finding the perfect MP4 video converter or playing MP4 files on your device? Learn more about MP4 files and how to find the right converter with the following frequently asked questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you're searching for a free MP4 converter, there are many options out there to choose from, but some are better than others. While some are downloadable in the form of software, others function as websites that you can use as an MP4 converter online for free. Depending on what you're looking for, the following are some of our favorite options.
Online Free MP4 Converters:
MP4 Conversion Software:
- VLC Media Player
- Freemake Video Converter
Another great software you can use to convert MP4 or other video file formats is Movavi Video Converter, which we recommend if you're in need of a safe, secure, and very user-friendly converter.
If you're unable to play MP4 videos on your device and default video player, you may be missing the MPEG-4 codec needed to play these files. The MPEG-4 codec is a type of software that media players use to recognize the MP4 file format and play them. While many media players are compatible with MP4 files, you can also change the file format of these videos through MP4 conversion using file conversion software. Movavi Video Converter is a great option to convert files using the appropriate codec.
MP4 is short for MPEG-4 part 14, which is a single part of the MPEG-4 compressing algorithm. Specifically, MP4 is a type of digital media format, i.e. video container, which is used for storing video, audio, and other similar data. Many video files use the MP4 file extension, and it's possible to convert digital video to MP4 from other file formats.
Movavi Video Converter
The ideal way to get your media in the format you need!
- Convert video, audio, DVDs, and image files
- Enjoy lightning-fast conversion without quality loss
- Improve quality, adjust sound, trim and join files before converting
- Save video and audio clips for easy mobile access