How to convert GIF to AVI on Windows and Mac with Movavi
Edited by Ben Jacklin
February 11, 2022
GIF and AVI files can be quite different, but if you are looking for a way to convert the two, then Movavi Video Converter can be ideal. As well as having some editing functions so that you can make changes, the software supports hundreds of different file types. To change GIF to AVI files, you can download software.
There are also a few options to convert GIF to AVI for free online, and Movavi offers an online video converter that can recognize and convert many different files. The GIF-to-AVI converter is free so you can use it without any charge.
Follow the steps below to learn how to convert GIF to AVI with Movavi Video Converter.
Step 1. Install Movavi Video Converter
Launch the file that is downloaded, either .exe or .dmg depending on your operating system, then follow the on-screen instructions to install the GIF-to-AVI converter on your PC or Mac.
Step 2. Add GIF files
Click Add Media, then select Add Images. Then you can navigate to the GIF file you want, or you can simply click and drag the file if you would rather, it will open in the main window. GIF files are one of the hundreds of types recognized by the software.
Step 3. Select the video export format
On the Video tab, you can then choose the preset for AVI files, and also change things like the bitrate if you want. The Cogwheel gives you the option to change settings.
Step 4. Convert GIF to AVI
Click Convert and the converted video will be saved to the Movavi Library folder unless you choose otherwise. You can click Save to to choose where the file goes.
GIF or AVI: What is the difference?
|File type||Image and moving image (no video)||Container file for music and media|
|First release||June 15, 1987||November 10, 1992|
GIF files and AVI files are very different, both date back to the 90s, and while GIFs are commonly used these days, the AVI file is also still in use, and you may wish to convert a GIF to AVI.
Frequently asked questions
Which one is better, GIF or AVI?
There isn’t necessarily one file type that is better. Knowing how to convert .gif to .avi files is about getting the most suitable file type for your needs. A GIF file, for instance, can’t hold any audio in the file, but an AVI can. AVI is slightly outdated for some software, though.
How do I convert GIF to AVI with VLC?
If you are looking for a GIF-to AVI-converter with a free download, VLC can do the job.
Install and open VLC.
- From the menu bar, click Media > Convert/Save.
- Click the Add button and navigate to the file you want to convert (GIF or AVI).
- From the Convert/Save dropdown, select the Convert option.
- Choose the format you want to save to using the Profile menu.
- Click Browse to find the folder you want to save to.
- Name the file and click Save and then Convert to start the process and convert GIF to AVI.
How do I use FFmpeg for GIF-to-AVI conversion?
To use FFmpeg for a GIF-to-AVI conversion:
Install the free GIF-to-AVI converter on your machine.
- Find Command Prompt or Terminal if you are using Mac.
- Find the full name of a file, including extension.
- Use the correct conversion prompt in the software. This will involve using the term ffmpeg -i and then the file names. To convert the file you will type something like -i myfile.gif myfile.avi to tell FFmpeg the destination.
- Hit enter and wait for the machine to make the conversion. The new file will be in the same location as that you converted.
How do I convert GIF to AVI on Linux?
On Linux machines, you can use a GIF-to-AVI converter online such as the online converter by Movavi.
Scroll up to the online converter:
- Click Add Your Media and locate the file you want to convert.
- Make sure that AVI is chosen as the output format.
- Click Convert to convert GIF to AVI online totally free.
Sign up for news and special offers