How to Make a Countdown Video
Edited by Ben Jacklin
May 21, 2020
If you want to draw attention to a particular point in a video or add a little suspense before a truly epic moment, it might be an idea to add a timer to a video. Unfortunately, not all video editing programs have this option.
But don’t worry! Movavi Video Editor Plus lets you not only add a countdown timer to a video but also customize the timer, so you can create your own to best fit your movie. You can change the text and background color, choose from a wide range of fonts, and create an outline. Movavi Video Editor Plus lets you get really creative!
If you want to know how to make a countdown video, read our guide below.
Install the Program
After downloading, install our countdown video maker following the on-screen instructions. The setup process will take just a few minutes.
Add Video File
In the welcome window, choose New Project. Then click Add Media Files and choose the clip you want to work with. You can also simply drag the files from their folder onto the Timeline in the lower part of the program window. The files you’ve added will appear on the Video Track.
Add Timer Titles
First, open the Titles tab to see the list of available text styles. Go to the Basic group and find the Timer title style. Drag the title onto the Titles Track of the Timeline, then move the timer along the Timeline to the point where the timer should begin to appear. To change the length of the countdown timer video overlay, simply pull on its edges.
Edit the Timer
Double-click the timer on the Timeline to edit it. The properties panel will appear over the preview window. On the Clip properties tab, set the duration and format of the timer. To choose the font and style for the numbers, go to the Font properties tab. In the Color properties tab, you can set the colors for the numbers and the background color. The Timer properties tab is where you enter the starting time in the From box. If you want to create a countdown video, select the Countdown option. In the preview window, drag the clock to the appropriate location. Finally, click Apply to save changes and exit editing mode.
Save Your Final Video
Click the Export button, choose the destination folder in the Save to field, and select the video format from the tabs on the left of the export window. Then click Start. Now you know how to add a timer to a video with the countdown video creator from Movavi!
Movavi Video Editor Plus
Your next step in video-making
- Edit video clips, images, and audio on a timeline
- Add transitions, filters, titles, and stickers
- Animate objects using keyframes, use more built-in media
- Export videos in any popular format
* The free version of Movavi Video Editor Plus has the following restrictions: 7-day trial period, watermark on the output videos, and, if you’re saving a project as an audio file, an ability to save only half the audio length. Learn more
Frequently Asked Questions
💡 How Do I Make a Countdown GIF?
You can easily make a countdown GIF with Movavi Video Editor Plus. Just follow these steps:
- Download and install Movavi Video Editor Plus. After the installation is complete, launch the program.
- Select New Project in the welcome window, then click Add Media Files and select the GIF file you want to add a countdown to.
- Open the Titles tab, then go to Basic and find the Timer title. Drag the title onto the Titles Track, then adjust the length of the item by dragging on its ends.
- Double-click on the title to edit it. In the properties panel that appears, select the Clip properties tab and set the duration and format for the timer. Next, go to the Timer properties tab and enter the starting time in the From box. To make the timer count in reverse, check the Countdown box. In the preview window, adjust the position of the timer over the video. Once you are happy, click Apply.
- Click the Export button, choose the destination folder in the Save to field, and select the video format. Once it’s done, click Start.
💻 Can I Set a Timer for a Video?
Yes, you can. Modern smartphones let users set a timer before recording a video. You can find this option in your phone’s camera settings. If your phone’s camera doesn’t support the timer option, you can install a mobile app, such as Video Self Timer.
This app lets users not only set a timer, but also specify the duration of a future video.