Best GoPro Video Editors
Edited by Nataly Bogorad
February 10, 2021
If you have a GoPro camera, you know that to edit the footage you need a GoPro video editor. The easiest way to find one is to look through this list of GoPro video-editing software and choose the one that matches your needs.
Here's a comparative table we've created for you to help you choose. Scroll down for more details.
|Movavi Video Editor Plus||Windows, Mac||Object animation, stabilization, built-in media, improved timeline||Beginner|
|AVS Video Editor||Windows||Multilingual support, social sharing option, many video formats, and a Blu-ray making tool||Beginner|
|iMovie||iOS||High fidelity filters, sound effects, built-in music, ability to create Hollywood-style movie trailers, social sharing option||Beginner|
|GoPro App||iOS, Android||Social sharing options and the ability to produce videos in minutes||Beginner|
|Nero Platinum Suite||Windows||Countless effects, social sharing options, audio filters, and many themes||Intermediate|
|Quik||Windows, Mac||Time-lapse sequences, social sharing option, ability to add gauges and graphs to videos||Intermediate|
|DaVinci Resolve 16||Windows, Mac, Linux||Color correction, visual effects, professional 8K editing, and speed wrap||Intermediate|
|VSDC||Windows||Ability to add soundtracks, merge videos, and add text to videos||Intermediate|
|WeVideo Online Editor||Any device (web-based)||Motion effects, edit videos on any device, and customizable transitions||Intermediate|
|Pinnacle Studio 23 Ultimate||Windows, Mac||Color grading, advanced video masking, and intuitive interface||Professional|
|CyberLink PowerDirector Ultra 18||Windows||Simplified color adjustment, customizable design tools, and video dynamic collages||Professional|
|Vegas Pro 360||Windows||HDR color support, 360-degree editing, automatic subtitles, ability to download plugins, and excellent video stabilization||Professional|
|Final Cut Pro X||Mac||Stunning effects, intuitive design, 360-degree video editing, and built-in controls||Professional|
View all features Hide the table
Disclaimer: We use affiliate links to the products mentioned on this page. When you click an affiliate link and make a purchase, we receive commissions. If you want to support our portal, you can use the links. Otherwise, you can find the recommended products using a search engine.
Best GoPro Video-Editing Software
Compatibility: Windows, Mac
Movavi Video Editor Plus is a powerful GoPro movie maker that you can leverage to create stunning videos. Easily edit your footage – rotate and crop videos, delete unwanted parts, apply filters and transitions. If your video is too “shaky”, make use of the stabilization feature. Add your own music, use soundtracks from the built-in library, or record a voiceover.
Best for video editors who want to create spectacular movies in a short time.
- There are many auto-editing options like stabilization and color correction.
- Intro and outro creation feature, direct uploading to YouTube.
- A rich collection of stickers, titles, transitions, and filters.
- Easy picture-in-picture overlay.
- Only the trial version is free.
To check out a review on Movavi Video Editor Plus, click the link below:
You can also check out our beginner’s guides on creating and editing videos with GoPro.
Price: $59 for unlimited access, $39 for an annual subscription
This incredible video editor is renowned for its ability to process many video formats. Whether your GoPro video is in AVI, VOB, MP4, DVD, 3GP, MKV, or WMV, AVS video editor is handy. Forget about taking hours or even days to edit your GoPro videos. AVS Video Editor uses video cache technology to speed up video editing. You can have your videos ready in no time.
With this video editor, you can edit your videos with ease – trim, cut, split, rotate, and merge videos effortlessly. Other features of AVS Video Editor include multilingual support, sharing videos through social networks, creating Blu-ray videos, making incredible slideshows, and recording videos. However, the software is available for Windows only.
Best for Windows users who intend to burn their GoPro videos to DVD.
- It has a stabilization feature.
- The program supports HD, Full HD, 2K, and 4K editing.
- Users report the program occasionally freezing and crashing for no particular reason.
To check out a review on AVS Video Editor, click the link below:
iMovie is the classic, free video editor offered by Apple. iMovie is for Mac devices only. Using iMovie, you can transform raw GoPro footage into a beautiful creation. Some of the most prominent features in iMovie include high-fidelity filters, the ability to change the speed of your GoPro shots, built-in music, and sound effects, and the opportunity to create Hollywood-style movie trailers. You can also edit your GoPro videos on the go, as iMovie is available both on Mac devices and on your iPhone. iMovie allows you to quickly and easily share your creation on popular platforms like Facebook and YouTube.
Best for Mac users who occasionally edit GoPro videos.
- It’s very powerful for a free video editor.
- You can edit videos on an iPhone or iPad.
- It’s still rather basic. If you want more features, you’ll have to get a different program.
Price: free, with a paid upgrade that costs $49.99 for an annual subscription
Compatibility: iOS, Android
Finally, you can edit your GoPro videos in the GoPro app itself. Using the app, you can generate a QuikStory, which allows you to automatically transition your footage into a well-produced clip with audio and sound effects. You can use your phone to frame your shots, adjust settings, and quickly share your creations on social media.
Best for iPhone and Android users.
- Since the app was developed by GoPro, it’s perfect for editing GoPro videos.
- Smooth video transfer from a camera to your phone.
- Some Android users report issues with connecting their GoPros to the app.
Price: $38.75 for a one-year subscription, $69.95 for a lifetime license
Nero Platinum Suite is a toolbox with many multimedia-editing programs included. Using it, you can manage your photos, create data backups, burn discs, convert files, and edit videos, including raw GoPro footage. With more than 1,000 movie themes and effects, your creativity is never limited. Some of the remarkable features of Nero include ease of use, countless effects, ability to share videos, high-quality disc menus with a broad range of themes, and a diverse range of new film templates.
With this video editor, you can create professional GoPro videos seamlessly. All you need to do is transfer your videos and images to Nero. Use various features ranging from audio filters, transitions, slow motion, and slideshows to edit your video to your desired quality.
Best for users who need more than just a video editor.
- It lets you edit the footage and has a built-in management system to keep everything organized.
- It supports HD and 4K video editing.
- There’s no direct uploading to social media.
To check out a review on Nero, click the link below:
Compatibility: Windows, Mac
Quik Desktop is another video editor that makes it extremely easy to edit and share your GoPro videos. You can use Quik on a PC or a Mac device. After enabling automatic importing into Quik, you can leverage a full library of features like time-lapse sequences, add gauges and graphs to your video, and add a pitch-perfect soundtrack to your video. Quik prides itself on its ease of use and your ability to share your edited video within seconds. Quik also makes it easy to update your GoPro camera with the latest software for optimal performance.
Best for desktop users who prefer working with programs developed by GoPro Team.
- You can use HiLight marks to save the best moments for future editing.
- You can add GPS-data to your video (path, speed, elevation gain, etc.).
- Editing features are somewhat limited.
Price: free, with a paid upgrade that costs $299
Compatibility: Windows, Mac, Linux
DaVinci Resolve 16 presents itself as “the world’s only solution that combines professional 8K editing, color correction, visual effects, and audio post-production all in one software tool." It is a GoPro Hero 4, 5 editor, but you can also use it with newer GoPro cameras. But whichever camera you have, you can confidently use DaVinci Resolve 16 to create beautiful GoPro videos. In addition to the features listed above, the software uses machine learning to enable features like speed warp and even facial recognition. If you have a Windows, Mac, or Linux device, you can use DaVinci Resolve 16.
Best for wanna-be professional video editors who want to start with free software.
- The program uses machine learning and has advanced features like facial recognition and speed warp.
- Built-in YouTube and Vimeo export.
- Upgrading to the professional version is one of the most expensive on the list.
To check out a review on DaVinci Resolve, click the link below:
VSDC is free video editing software that you can use to clean up your GoPro videos. Unlike other editors on this list, VSDC is more straightforward, yet it can do a great job with your GoPro editing needs. Features include the ability to cut and merge video files, add soundtracks to your videos, add additional text to your videos, and convert your video from one form to another.
Best for users who are okay with figuring out features and interface, but aren’t ready to spend money on a video editor.
- 360 video editing.
- Low system requirements that allow you to install the software on outdated and weak computers.
- It’s not very friendly for an inexperienced user. It will take some time to get used to the interface.
To check out a review on VSDC, click the link below:
Price: from $4.99 per month billed annually to $59.99 for the Business subscription plan billed monthly
Compatibility: any device (web-based)
WeVideo Online Editor is another editor providing a good, easy way to edit your GoPro videos. Unlike the other editors on this list, WeVideo doesn’t require you to download any software – you simply use it in your browser. WeVideo offers features like the ability to edit your video on any device, motion effects, customizable transitions, and over one million royalty-free video clips and images through WeVideo Essentials.
Best for users who prefer web-based software.
- It has templates for any social media platforms: horizontal for YouTube, square for Instagram posts, vertical for Stories.
- It saves your projects to the cloud, so you’re able to edit them on any device.
- Like with other web-based video editors, you have to have a stable internet connection to work with it.
To check out a review on WeVideo Online Editor, click the link below:
Compatibility: Windows, Mac
Pinnacle Studio gives you unparalleled precision, control, and accuracy. You enjoy features like color grading, screen recording, plenty of creative effects, and advanced video masking tools to edit your videos like a pro.
Pinnacle video is a number one choice for many video editors because of its advanced editing, unlimited creativity, and intuitive interface. Also, Pinnacle Studio has learning materials and tools to ensure you get started effortlessly. With Pinnacle video, you have the means to fine-tune every detail of your video. It is available for Windows and Mac.
Best for users who like optimizing their working process.
- The software allows for precise video editing with video masking, multi-cam editing, and other professional features.
- The program has customizable keyboard shortcuts and other tools to boost your productivity.
- Some users report bugs and crashes. Please consider reading the return policy before purchasing it.
To check out a review on Pinnacle Studio 23 Ultimate, click the link below:
CyberLink PowerDirector Ultra 17 is a powerful, easy video editor that you can use to edit your GoPro videos. It claims it is the tool for both beginners and professionals alike, and it is only available for Windows devices. As with the other video editors on this list, the software offers a bevy of features like simplified color adjustment, customizable design tools (like a title and transition designers), and dynamic video collages. CyberLink PowerDirector Ultra 17 also offers tutorials in the user interface to quickly overcome any potential obstacles in using the software.
Best for Windows users who want a fully-fledged video editor and are okay with paying almost a hundred dollars for it (the program is worth the price though).
- The software has a full toolkit for editing action videos, including slow motion, stabilization, and fish-eye correction.
- Video Collage Designer mode will help you make an impressive transition or intro.
- The lack of a Mac version.
To check out a review on CyberLink PowerDirector, click the link below:
Price: $21.99 for 1 month
There are several different versions of Vegas Pro, including Vegas Pro Edit, Vegas Pro, Vegas Pro 365, and Vegas Pro Suite. All Vegas Pro versions, however, offer incredible performance and functionality for all of your GoPro editing needs. Some of the universal features in all Vegas Pro versions include HDR color support, 360-degree editing, advanced motion tracking, world-class video stabilization, and automatic subtitles. Vegas Pro also offers you the opportunity to download various plugins that provide even more customization in the editing process.
Best for people who make money by editing videos.
- It supports resolutions up to 8K.
- "Hamburger" menu system lets you customize the interface to meet your needs.
- Lifetime subscription prices are the highest in the list.
To check out a review on Vegas Pro, click the link below:
Final Cut Pro X is often considered one of the most powerful video editors, and it can undoubtedly help you when editing your GoPro videos. Final Cut Pro X’s features are compelling and intuitive. Upon opening Final Cut Pro X, you see the software’s Magnetic Timeline, which allows you to experiment by quickly moving and trimming video clips. Using Final Cut Pro X, you can leverage the software’s multi-cam editing platform, create stunning effects and sweeping graphics with Motion, leverage 360-degree video editing, and use built-in controls to add closed captions.
Best for professional video editors who prefer using Mac computers.
- 360° video editing and VR headset playback.
- The software is optimized for Mac Pro computers.
- If you’re not happy with the default effects, you’ll have to buy plugins from third-party vendors, which adds to the software price.
To check out a review on Final Cut Pro X, click the link below:
* The free version of Movavi Video Editor Plus has the following restrictions: 7-day trial period, watermark on the output videos, and, if you’re saving a project as an audio file, an ability to save only half the audio length. Learn more
Frequently Asked Questions
💻 What software do professional video editors use?
Most professional video editors agree that the best video editing software is:
- Adobe Premiere Pro CC
- Final Cut Pro X
- Sony Vegas Pro
- DaVinci Resolve Studio
- HitFilm 4 Pro
Learn more about the programs above by reading this article.
📹 What is the best free video editor?
If you want a free video editing software, here are the best ones.
- Hitfilm Express
- Apple iMovie
- DaVinci Resolve
Read the article below to learn the advantages and disadvantages of various free video editors.
💻 How do YouTubers edit their videos?
Today, having high-quality footage is not enough to engage YouTube users. You need to stitch together the footage using a powerful video editing software to make it entertaining. YouTubers use different software to edit their videos. The common ones include:
- Adobe Premiere Pro CC
- Final Cut Pro X
- Movavi Video Editor Plus
Learn more about the best YouTube video-editing software here.
📺 How can I be a YouTuber?
Utilize these tips to become a YouTuber.
- Ensure it is what you want: being a YouTuber is admirable and lucrative. However, you must have a passion for it and work hard to attain success.
- Choose a topic for your channel: it can be related to gaming, makeup, music, or fashion. Are you struggling to make your YouTube channel? Read the article linked below.
- Gear up: gather equipment such as camera, microphone, and lighting for the task.
- Start practicing: look for subjects for your videos and start recording.
- Publish often: ensure you publish at least one video weekly to grow your channel.
📱 What video-editing apps do Instagrammers use?
Even Instagrammers acknowledge that videos are more engaging, accessible, and memorable than other forms of content. Here are the leading video editing apps for Instagrammers:
- Movavi Clips
If you want more Instagram video editors, read the article linked below.