In this guide, we are delving into ripping DVDs, and how to rip a DVD safely and effectively in the best possible way.
|Movavi Video Converter||Windows, Mac||Free trial||Ultra-fast conversions on Windows and Mac|
|VLC||Windows, macOS||Free||Playing and ripping media|
|HandBrake||Windows, macOS||Free||Free ripping with lots of formats|
View all programs Hide the table
How to rip DVDs with Movavi Video Converter on Windows 10/8/7 and Mac
Best for: Ultra-fast conversions on Windows and Mac
OS: Windows, macOS
G2 rating: 4.5 out of 5, 3 reviews
Wondering how to transfer your DVD collection to your computer or another device so you can watch your favorite films anywhere? Now you can quickly rip your DVDs using Movavi Video Converter. Just follow the instructions in this tutorial and you'll be able to rip DVDs to any video format you like: AVI, MOV, MKV, M2TS, and many others!
With our handy DVD ripping software, it's a one-click task to convert a DVD to the MP4 file format to watch it on your mobile phone. No need to understand video formats, settings, or technicalities – just run the software, open your DVD, select a ready-made preset and click Convert.
To learn how to rip DVDs to a computer, just download Movavi Video Converter for PC or Mac and read the tutorial below.
Step 1. Download and install Movavi Video Converter
Download Movavi Video Converter on your Mac or Windows to rip a DVD. After the download is finished, run the setup file to install the program.
Step 2. Open the program and add a DVD
Launch Video Converter. Click the Add Media button, then select Add DVD > Open DVD, and find the VIDEO_TS folder on your DVD.
Step 3. Choose the preferred preset
In the Video or Devices tab at the bottom of the video converter interface, select the video format or mobile device you need as your target. You can choose from over 180 media formats and 200 device presets.
Step 4. Rip your DVD
Click Save to to specify the folder on your hard drive where the program should save the converted files. Finally, click the Convert button. The program will start processing your media files.
Step 5. Save your video
If you want to copy your videos to a mobile device after the converting process is complete, minimize or close the program, turn on your mobile device and connect it to your computer. Start the uploading service or just copy and paste the output file to the target folder. And that’s all!
Note that uploading process might take some time depending on the size of your video file.
So now you know how to rip DVDs using Movavi Video Converter!
Disclaimer: Please be aware that Movavi Video Converter does not allow you to convert copy-protected media files and DVDs.
How to rip a DVD with VLC
Best for: Playing and ripping media
OS: Windows, macOS
CNET rating: 4.6 out of 5, 37 reviews
It’s not hard to learn how to rip a DVD with VLC media player. This freeware is very popular for both Mac and Windows as people choose to play a variety of media files and also try their hand at ripping a DVD with VLC.
How to rip a DVD on Mac and Windows with VLC
- Download and open VLC.
- Under the Media tab, click on the button to Convert/Save, then choose the Disc tab.
- Choose the DVD option and then the DVD drive location so your computer knows where to rip from.
- Click Convert/Save and then select the codec and settings you'd like to use for the ripping.
- Rip your DVD to a computer. That’s how to rip movies from a DVD using VLC.
It is simple and straightforward to use and gives you a lot of control, you can also enjoy the fact that there are a lot of controls over file types. As an option to rip DVDs for free, VLC is understandably very popular.
The program can be a bit clunky, and you have to do a lot of exploring in the files of your computer, rather than intuitively rip a DVD through the interface.
How to use HandBrake for a DVD rip
Best for: Free ripping with lots of formats
OS: Windows, macOS
CNET rating: 3.5 out of 5, 155 reviews
HandBrake is a similar tool to VLC media player. It offers a free download and whether you’re using Windows 10, an older version, or Mac OS, you can use a HandBrake DVD rip function to get your video off a disc and onto your computer.
How to rip a DVD with HandBrake
- Download and open HandBrake. Whether you want to rip DVDs to a PC or Mac, you can choose the appropriate download for the operating system you are using.
- Choose the file you want to rip by pressing the file icon on the left, navigate to the file that is on the DVD.
- Press the Browse button and choose the destination to save the stored file in.
- Click Save after making the selection and then Start Encode at the top to begin ripping the DVD to the desired folder on your computer.
The big upside is the simple functionality and the fact that it can be used totally free of charge.
Though there isn’t a lot of support if anything goes wrong, this is understandable due to the fact that the software doesn’t have a big team behind it. Freeware often has this knock-on effect.
How to rip a DVD to computer with WinX DVD Ripper
Best for: Quick ripping
G2 rating: 2.5 out of 5, 3 reviews
WinX DVD Ripper can be used on both Windows and Mac, but it is undeniably faster and more effective for those who want to know how to rip a DVD on Windows 10.
How to rip DVDs on Windows 10 or Mac using WinX DVD Ripper
- Download and install the program.
- Load a DVD by clicking DVD Disc and navigating to the DVD folder.
- Select the output format for the video you want to convert. There are many presets to rip a DVD to the computer, and you can alter the file settings to suit tablets, phones, and more.
- Choose the output folder. This is where the video file will be stored.
- Click Start and this will begin the process of ripping the DVD and turning it into a file on your computer.
The ripper supports both old and new models of DVDs and has incredible speed without being too demanding on your computer and its RAM. The ripper is also good for some damaged DVDs and can do a great job of salvaging video footage.
The interface is a little clunky and doesn’t feel particularly modern, and Mac users might find it tough to use, but it is still effective.
How to rip a DVD using Windows Media Player
Best for: Support and tutorials
Windows Media Player isn’t the most powerful software, but to rip DVDs on Windows 10 or earlier versions, the Media Player is a good choice. It’s already on your machine and ready to do its job.
How to rip a DVD using Windows Media Player
- Open Windows Media Player, which will already be on your computer if you’re using Windows.
- In the Player Library, select the Rip button and select from the choices next to the button to change formatting.
- When you're finished with the settings, select Start Rip.
This is a convenient method for ripping DVDs. There is plenty of support for Windows users due to the popularity of this app.
Windows Media Player can extract a video from DVDs if you are using a Windows system, but keep in mind the fact that it is not the quickest way to rip DVDs and the app can be clunky, especially if you update the system without updating the software.
How to rip DVDs to a PC with WonderFox DVD Ripper
Best for: Ripping protected DVD content
Windows Report review: 4.7 out of 5, 5 646 reviews
WonderFox DVD Ripper is Windows software that can allow you to rip DVDs to a computer. It’s got a lot of great features and can rip in high-quality, but there is both a paid and free version so you might have to upgrade.
How to rip a video from a DVD using WonderFox
- Download and install the program.
- Load your DVD files. Please choose one of the sources to load your DVD file into the program: DVD Disc, ISO Image, or DVD Folder. This is where you will find the video file within the disc.
- Select the desired output format. Please pick your desired format by clicking on the upper right corner of the interface. You can choose MPG, MP4, MOV, AVI, MKV, WMV, VOB, and many more file formats.
- Hit Run button to rip DVDs to your hard drive.
It's quick and effective, and allows you to access video files on some of the more protected DVDs.
One downside of this software is the fact that if you want the full features and functionality, you’ll need to pay for the full version. There are free DVD rippers on the market so this doesn’t necessarily give the best solution. It is also not a way for Mac to rip DVDs, as it only works on Windows.
How to use Freemake on Windows and rip a DVD with it
Best for: Simple and quick conversions
CNET rating: 4 out of 5, 864 reviews
Freemake Video Converter is a very simple way to rip a DVD. Their website has some online converters, but you do need to download the Freemake free software if you are looking to rip from DVD.
How to rip a DVD to MP4 with Freemake Video Converter
- Download and launch Freemake Video Converter.
- Add the DVD disc that you want to convert.
- Choose the video format you are looking to use as well as conversion parameters.
- Begin the ripping process to convert the file and put it on your computer.
It’s completely free of charge and easy to use.
Freemake doesn’t allow you to rip DVDs on Mac, it only works on Windows. On top of that, it only allows you to rip to a few formats, such as MP4 and AVI. There aren’t as many settings and editing options as some competing models.
Summary: how to choose the best DVD ripper
How can you choose the ideal DVD ripper for you? If you want to know which is the best way to rip a DVD, then the chances are that you will need to consider your individual needs.
Things to consider include:
- Usability: Does it have the ease of usability you need? Is a program you’re choosing to rip a DVD compatible with your device?
- Features: Can this do everything that you need? The features should be effective, easy-to-use, and ideally fast.
- User reviews: Always check what others have said about the software, whether it has bugs, and if it is well-received.
- Support: Ideally, you should use software that allows you to get the right level of support if you come across any issues, such as bugs. Tutorials are also very helpful.
Frequently asked questions
How do I rip DVDs on Windows 10?
Most of the software to rip DVDs works well on Windows 10. Choose between Windows Media Player, or convert using some of the other proprietary software on the list, such as Movavi Video Converter.
How do I play a DVD on a computer?
There are multiple options for playing a DVD as well as ripping it. Using a VLC media player for DVDs on Windows 10 is an easy way to watch your entertainment.
How do I rip a DVD on a Mac?
For a Mac to rip DVDs you need to use specific software. Only certain types of software such as Movavi and VLC Media Player can work on a Mac and rip DVDs. You can use Disc Utility on your Mac system but this is a bit clunky and the interface can be hard to get to grips with.
What is the best format to rip a DVD?
There are a number of formats you can choose. The best format for a DVD can vary. If you are making copies, then the ISO image is an uncompressed and sector-by-sector copy of a disc, but you can also use file formats like MP4 and MOV to store the DVD video on your hard drive and rip the content directly from the DVD.
Does ripping a DVD ruin it?
No, unless your DVD drive is broken, then there is no real risk of ruining a DVD when ripping it.
What do I do if VLC rips DVDs with no sound?
If you use VLC media player and it rips a DVD without sound, then it could be the sample rate or the bitrate. Tweak the rates to correspond with the original file format and rip again, this may fix the issue and produce a copy or a file that does have sound on it, as intended.
How long does it take to rip a DVD?
It depends on your computer configuration and software you use. Typically, ripping a DVD can take from 10 to 30 minutes.
Sign up for news and special offers