Need to convert MTS to MP4? No need to worry, as this article is all about some great MTS-to-MP4 converters that will make your work easier.
|Movavi Video Converter||Windows, macOS||Free trial||Ultra-fast conversions|
|FreeConvert||Any (web-based)||Free and paid||Quick video conversions online|
|VLC||Windows, macOS, Unix, Android, iOS||Free||Converting to basic video formats easily|
|CloudConvert||Any (web-based)||Free and paid||Converting and customizing online|
|Movavi Free Video Converter||Windows, macOS||Free||High-quality video output|
|Zamzar||Any (web-based)||Free and paid||Supports various file formats|
|Freemake||Windows||Free||Several editing features|
|FFmpeg||Windows, macOS||Free||Secure and advanced conversions|
View all programs Hide the table
How to convert MTS files to MP4 with Movavi Video Converter
Best for: Ultra-fast conversions
OS: Windows, macOS
G2 rating: 4.5 out of 5, 3 reviews
When you need to convert .mts to .mp4, Movavi Video Converter is arguably the most reliable tool. Picture quality is an integral factor with videos, and this is where Movavi sets itself apart from other MTS converter tools. There is no limit to the videos' size and the number you can add to the batch. Once you prepare your batch, you can leave the application running as you attend to other matters. This feature is then bolstered with lightning-fast conversion, allowing you to access the file within a short period.
Step 1. Install the program on your computer
Download Movavi Video Converter for Windows or Mac. Run the downloaded file and follow the instructions to install the software on your computer.
Step 2. Add your MTS video for conversion
Click the Add Media button and then Add Video in the upper-left corner of the converter interface. Choose one or more files to convert from MTS to another format.
Step 3. Choose the desired file format
To find the output video format you want, click the Video tab. If you want to be able to play your converted video on a mobile device, click the Devices tab and choose your device model.
Step 4. Edit MTS files (optional)
Select the video for editing from the list of added files. Then click the Edit button in the upper part of the program window. Select the desired editing tool from the list and apply it to the video in the window that opens.
Step 5. Compress the MTS video (optional)
Click the estimated output size in the list of added files. In the pop-up window, set the desired output size value using the File size slider. By clicking Convert sample, you can see if the output file still looks good. When you are satisfied with the result, just click anywhere outside the pop-up window.
Step 6. Set the output folder and convert your MTS files
By default, converted files are saved to the Movavi Library folder. To change to a different output folder, click the Save to button and choose a new folder. Click Convert to start converting the MTS files to the specified format. After the conversion is complete, the folder containing the converted files will open automatically.
Online and free MTS-to-MP4 converters
One of the benefits of paying for a tool to convert an MTS file is that you access the best features, and picture quality loss is minimal, if any. However, depending on your needs, a free MTS-to-MP4 converter may do just fine. If that's the case for you, the following tools will help you convert MTS to MP4 for free.
Best for: Quick video conversions online
OS: Any (web-based)
Trustpilot rating: 2.9 out of 5, 4 reviews
As the name goes by, FreeConvert is a free tool that can be used to convert MTS to MP4 online. It is an excellent alternative for processing large-sized files. It can convert videos up to 1 GB with ease. The best part is that the converter is free. Additionally, FreeConvert allows users to adjust all the necessary parameters right before conversion. The basic parameters include – aspect ratio, video codec, frame rate, screen size, bitrate, audio codec, and volume.
With the help of this MTS converter online, you can rotate, cut, and flip videos besides adding subtitles. You can easily make audio fade in and fade out. The files that you upload for conversion are protected with 256-bit SSL encryption. Also, your files will get deleted after 2 hours.
How to convert MTS to MP4 using FreeConvert
- Start by opening the website of the MTS-to-MP4 converter online on your computer or mobile browser.
Proceed to the FreeConvert website
- Click the Choose Files option to add the MTS file.
- Select the format of output as MP4 from the Convert to section.
- Click on Convert to start the conversion.
- If you want to change the parameters, click on the Advanced Settings option.
- As the status changes to Done, click on Download MP4.
- Fast conversion with no waiting time
- No fees required to convert MTS to MP4
- Adjustable video parameters
- Batch conversion
- No export option to Dropbox or Google Drive
- It comes with a file size limitation of 1 GB in the free plan
Best for: Converting and customizing online
OS: Any (web-based)
Capterra rating: 4.5 out of 5, 21 reviews
Cloud Convert is yet another free and reliable MTS converter for online use. This tool's API is advanced and scalable. Along with video files such as MTS and MP4, it supports over 200 formats for images (PNG, JPG…), documents (DOC, PDF, HTML….), presentations (PPT, ODP…), eBooks (PDF, EPUB…), and audio (MP3, M4A).
It has a wide range of features and options, allowing you to customize the video. These range from aspect ratio, constant quality (CRF), and resolution, among others. Each day, you will have 25 free conversions. However, if you need to access the service beyond that, you will need to subscribe. Such packages start from $8 for 500 minutes with flexible payment options.
How to convert MTS files to MP4 using CloudConvert
- Load the MTS video converter website on your favorite browser.
Proceed to the CloudConvert website
- On the top right corner, you will see a Convert section where you will choose MTS to MP4.
- Click on the Select File button to choose the MTS file.
- Scroll down to the Options section, where you can adjust aspect ratio, resolution, and constant quality, among other settings, as desired.
- Set the audio codec, bitrate, and volume as desired.
- Choose the part of the video you wish to convert by trimming it.
- Proceed to convert the file.
- Free to use
- Wide range of customization features
- Over 200 formats
- High-quality conversions
- The free version is limited to 25 daily conversions
Convert MTS to MP4 for free with Movavi Free Video Converter
Best for: High-quality video output
OS: Windows, macOS
When it comes to free MTS converters, only a few, if any, can compare to Movavi Free Video Converter. This multimedia converter has been designed to suit all your conversion needs. Along with MTS and MP4, it supports over 180 media formats such as DVD, MP3, GIF, and RAW, among others. Regardless of your target use-device, you do not have to worry as it is equipped with over 200 presets for devices from leading manufacturers such as Samsung, Sony, Huawei, and Apple.
The best part, however, is that Movavi Free Video Converter gives you high-quality conversions, even in HD and ultra-HD, allowing you to enjoy your video files.
Converting MTS files to MP4 using Movavi Free Video Converter
- Download, install, and run the Movavi Free Video Converter app.
Go to the Movavi Free Video Converter page
- Drag and drop the MTS file into the app window.
- Set MP4 as the target format.
- Click Convert to initiate the process.
- Fast conversions
- High-quality output
- Wide range of supported formats
- Free to use
- Limited features compared to Movavi Video Converter
Best for: Supports various file formats
OS: Any (web-based)
Trustpilot rating: 4.6 out of 5, 119 reviews
With over 510 million conversions since 2006, as posted on their website, Zamzar is undoubtedly one of the best MTS-to-MP4 converters free to use. Along with supporting many file formats, it is easy to use, and you do not need to download any software as it is online-based. To use Zamzar, you do not need to open an account.
Zamzar offers a unique email conversion feature. This allows you to convert files easily if you are working. With the free version, email and regular conversions are capped at 1MB and 50MB, respectively. For basic conversion, the free package is suitable. However, if you need to convert large files or perks such as online storage, you will have to upgrade.
How to convert an MTS file to MP4 using Zamzar
- Use your favorite browser to load Zamzar's website.
Proceed to the Zamzar website
- Go to the Add Files section and select the MTS file.
- Set MP4 as the desired output format.
- Click on the Convert Now button to start the conversion.
- Supports many file formats
- It has a unique email conversion feature
- User friendly
- The free version has file size limitations
- Only two conversions a day are allowed with free accounts
- Conversions can be delayed by up to one hour during times with high traffic
Use VLC to convert MTS to MP4
Best for: Converting to basic video formats easily
OS: Windows, macOS, Unix, Android, iOS
CNET rating: 4.6 out of 5, 37 reviews
Though it's popularly known as a media player, VLC is also an MTS file converter. As an open-source platform that supports a wide range of video formats, you can use it for other conversion needs. With VLC, you are only required to download the software, but there are no subscription fees. Even though it's free to use, there are no invasive ads to worry about. The process is fairly straightforward, and with a few attempts, you'll nail it down.
How to use VLC to convert MTS to MP4
- Download, install and launch the app.
Proceed to the VLC website
- On the top left corner, click on Media and then select Convert.
- Click the Add button and select the MTS file you wish to convert.
- Click the Convert/Save button.
- Set the preferred preset for your video.
- Choose MTS as the desired output format.
- Select a destination folder for the video.
- Click the Start button to initiate the conversion.
- Free to use
- Supports many file formats
- Limited features conversion features compared to other MTS-to-MP4 converters
- Relatively slow conversion
Convert MTS files with Freemake
Best for: Several editing features
Trustpilot rating: 3.7 out of 5, 556 reviews
As the name suggests, Freemake is a free-to-use tool for converting media files. With over 93 million users, it is one of the most reliable MTS-to-MP4 converters available. Along with video conversions, you can use it to convert image and audio files and even ripping videos from favorite DVDs.
Other excellent features with this tool include YouTube video conversion, which becomes accessible three days after installation via a Web Pack sent as a gift. With Freemake, you will not need a separate video editing tool as you can use it to cut and make minor edits.
Converting MTS to MP4 using Freemake
- Download the application, then install and run it on your computer.
Proceed to the Freemake website
- Click the +Video section to add your MTS file.
- Set MP4 as the output format.
- Choose the Same as Source option if you want the retain the parameters on the original file or alternatively;
- Set preferred parameters such as resolution and codecs.
- Press the Convert button to initiate the conversion.
- No subscription fees required to convert MTS to MP4
- Easy conversion process
- Editing features available
- You can adjust output video parameters
- Support available
- Limited features compared to paid tools
Best for: Secure and advanced conversions
OS: Windows, macOS
G2 rating: 4.6 out of 5, 19 reviews
FFmpeg is free software that consists of various programs and libraries meant to handle audio, video, and other media streams. At the very core, FFmpeg is the command-line tool itself. The software has been designed for processing audio and video files. It provides 360-degree web hosting and multimedia handling capabilities for broadcasters, developers, and content providers. The primary strength of FFmpeg can be found in its vast list of supported filters and codecs.
The best thing about FFmpeg is that converting MTS to MP4 can be done seamlessly. However, it might be a problem for all those not used to coding as it is wholly based on the coding structure.
Converting MTS to MP4 using FFmpeg
- Download FFmpeg from the official website.
Proceed to the FFmpeg website
- Open the terminal application to get the command line prompt.
- Find out the MTS file for conversion.
- Now run FFmpeg on your desired file. You will have to use this command: ffmpeg -i sampleAVCHD.mts -vcodec copy -an -f mp4 myfile.mp4
- Press Enter in the terminal and run the command.
- Supports all kinds of media formats
- Secure, robust, and advanced conversions
- Great filter support
- Not suitable for beginners
- Limited cross-platform support
Both online and free converters have their advantages and disadvantages. While MTS-to-MP4 converters for online use don't require you to download shady freeware or shareware, they usually have either file size restrictions or a limited number of formats. Free programs are generally lacking features and conversion speed compared to their paid counterparts but are perfect for converting small batches of files. Movavi Video Converter provides both conversion speed and reliability for a relatively small price and without a file size limit. Download the trial version and see for yourself!
MTS vs. MP4 comparison
MTS vs. MP4: what is better? If you want to know more about technical differences between MTS and MP4, check out this MP4 vs. MTS comparison table.
|Developed by||Sony and Panasonic||Moving Picture Experts Group|
|File extension||.m2ts, .mts, .ts, .m2t||.mp4|
|Video-coding formats||MPEG-2, H.264, H.265||H.264, H.265, MPEG-4, others|
|Audio-coding formats||AC-3, DTS, LPCM, others||MP3, AAC, AC-3, others|
Frequently asked questions
What is an MTS file?
With increasing picture quality needs, the MTS file format is one that offers high-definition videos. It is primarily used in Panasonic and Sony HD cameras or for storing high-definition Blu-ray discs. MTS is saved in the Advanced Video Coding High Definition (AVCHD). Under this file extension, 720p and 1080p are supported. MTS files are large and often rare. As such, most media players are not able to play MTS videos. This can be addressed by converting MTS to MP4 using a reliable converter such as Movavi Video Converter.
How do I change the MTS video format on a Mac?
One way to convert MTS to MP4 on a Mac is to use the Mac version of Movavi Video Converter. You could also use a free desktop app – the VLC player. If you don't want to install any additional software, you can try using an online conversion tool.
How do I open an MTS file?
If you are looking for a way of playing an MTS file on a Mac, the VLC media player may help. Start the MTS video player and choose Open File from the Media menu. In the window that opens, find the file you want to play and click Open. Another way to play MTS files on Windows with VLC is to locate the folder with the desired video, right-click on it and choose Open with > VLC media player.
How do I convert MTS to MP4 in Windows 10?
With the right tool, converting MTS files to MP4 in Windows 10 is fairly easy. In this regard, there is no better option than Movavi Video Converter. With this software, your videos' picture quality, even HD, will be preserved after conversion. It also offers a wide range of features, fast conversions, and an easy-to-follow process.
- Download, install, and run Movavi Video Converter.
- Add the MTS file.
- Set the desired format.
- Click the Convert button.
Is iMovie compatible with MTS files?
Although it is the official application for iPhone users to record and edit high-definition videos, iMovie does not support MTS files. This is because MTS files, usually captured by camcorders, are usually raw and cannot be imported directly to iMovie due to various limitations. Therefore, if you want to edit your video in iMovie, MTS files should be converted to iMovie-supported formats. With Movavi Video Converter, you will be able to achieve this easily and quickly.
How to import MTS files into iMovie
- First, convert your MTS files to iMovie-supported format, like MP4, using Movavi Video Converter.
- After the conversion, open iMovie on your computer.
- Click on File from the top.
- Click on Import Movies.
- Select the file you want to import.
How do I convert MTS to MP4 with Windows Media Player?
You cannot use Windows Media Player to convert MTS to MP4. But you can use other options like Movavi Video Converter for converting MTS to MP4 in Windows OS.
Can QuickTime play MTS files?
If you're a Mac user, you may already know that the QuickTime player doesn't support MTS video files. But don't get depressed! You can watch your favorite videos on a Mac, too – just convert them to a format that's compatible with Mac, like MP4, MOV, or M4V.
Can iPhones play MTS files?
The built-in video player on an iPhone can play MP4 and MOV files without a problem, but other media formats, including MTS, have no native support. To play these files, you can either install additional software that supports MTS or convert your files using the appropriate software.
How do I convert MTS files to MP4 for YouTube?
You can convert MTS to MP4 without losing quality for YouTube using any kind of conversion tool. Some of the favorite tools include Movavi Video Converter and VLC media player.
How do I convert Sony MTS to MP4 on Android?
There are various apps and online MTS-to-MP4 converters for Android. For example, you can use FreeConvert. Just upload the MTS file, and you are good to go.
Sign up for news and special offers