8 ways to screenshot Google Maps for free
Edited by Ben Jacklin
May 27, 2021
Here are the 3 best ways to screenshot Google Maps:
- Hotkeys – Best for speed and simplicity
- Movavi Screen Recorder – Best for versatility
- Snipping tool – Best for capturing screen segments
Google Maps is a hugely useful navigational tool, allowing the user to search all across the globe to find addresses of homes and businesses or plan out their routes for upcoming trips and travels. There are many ways in which the app can be used, and you might also want to screenshot Google Maps so you can store map snippets on your device or share them with friends to help out with navigation. This guide will look at how to screenshot Google Maps in eight different ways across all devices.
How to make a Google Maps screenshot using hotkeys
Best for: Speed and simplicity
A very simple way to make Google Maps screenshots is by using a combination of keys on your keyboard. This allows you to use built-in tools to capture screenshots immediately, without any extra downloads or installations.
Check out instructions for Windows and Mac computers below.
- First, find the section of Google Maps you want to take a screenshot of.
- Then press the Windows key and the PrtScn (Print Screen) key together at the same time. Depending on your hardware, you may also use the Fn key instead of the PrtScn key.
- You can then browse to the Pictures folder on your device and click on the Screenshots folder to view your saved Google Maps screenshot.
- To take a screenshot on Mac devices, first, find the page you want to capture.
- To take a screenshot of the whole page, hold the Shift, Command, and 3 keys down together.
- If you want to take a screenshot of just a portion of the screen, use the Shift, Command, and 4 keys and then drag the crosshair to choose the space you want to capture.
- A thumbnail of the captured image should appear in the corner of your screen, which you can click to edit, and the image itself will be saved on the desktop.
- The fastest way to take a screenshot
- Ideal for people who remember hotkey combinations easily
- Automatically saves files with minimal user input required
- May be difficult to remember the key combinations
- Lack of flexibility in terms of editing and adjustments
Best for: Capturing screen segments
The Snipping Tool is a built-in app on Windows computers and laptops that is useful for taking screenshots of sections of the screen or the entire screen.
Follow these steps to take a screenshot using Snipping Tool:
- Load up Google Maps and find the area you want to capture.
- Open the Snipping Tool program on your device.
- Click on the New button to start a new capture.
- Click and drag the rectangle to cover the space you want to capture.
- You can also adjust the mode for free-form capture or full-window capture, as desired.
- Edit your screenshots or save them to any location on your device.
- Can capture full windows, rectangles, or free-form shapes
- Easy to use
- Some basic editing options like highlighting
- Only available for Windows
Best for: Versatility
G2 rating: 4.5/5 stars, 44 reviews
Movavi Screen Recorder is an easy-to-use screen recording app that works for screenshots and screen recording videos too. You can adjust the settings as desired to take different size shots and even use basic editing tools to alter the images you capture.
Follow the simple instructions below to learn how to save a Google Maps image.
- Download and install Movavi Screen Recorder by following the on-screen instructions.
- Then double click the program icon to launch Movavi Screen Recorder.
- Head to Google Maps and find the area you want to save and click the Screenshot icon to enter screenshot mode.
- Select the desired capture area and drag out the corners of the frame to adjust it.
- Use the Editing Panel tools to edit your screenshot, if desired, and save it to your device when you're done.
- Very easy to use
- Allows the user to capture specific areas without any wasted space
- Can also be used for video capture and audio capture
- Simple editing tools for easy screenshot adjustment
- Save anywhere you want
- Not a built-in feature; has to be downloaded and installed
How to take a screenshot with the print screen feature in a browser
Best for: Making PDF screenshots
Many browsers allow you to print pages directly to a printer device, which can be useful for printing off maps, emails, or instructions. You can also use this feature to save screenshots in a PDF format.
Here's how to do it:
- Open up your browser and head to the Google Maps page to find the area you want to capture.
- Click on the menu option of your chosen browser and find the Print function.
- Open up the Print menu, but instead of sending the current page to the printer, click on the drop-down list of printer options and select Save as PDF instead.
- You can then alter the layout of your screenshot from landscape to portrait and make other minor alterations before saving.
- Note that the precise instructions on how to take a screenshot of Google Maps with your browser print feature may vary slightly based on the browser you use.
- Creates PDF files that are easy to share with friends
- A simple and convenient method for capturing the screen
- Works across all major internet browsers
- Can be used across various platforms and devices
- Lacks any kind of editing options
- More awkward and time-consuming than other methods
How to take a screenshot of Google Maps using a browser extension
Best for: Chrome users
Chrome Web Store rating: 4.6/5 stars, 35 reviews
A browser extension like Movavi ScreenShot can be installed on your internet browser of choice, for example Google Chrome, and then used to capture Google Maps screenshots as and when you need them.
Check the instructions below to learn how to use Movavi ScreenShot:
- Head to the Chrome Web Store and add the Movavi ScreenShot extension to your browser.
Download Movavi ScreenShot
- Once the extension is installed, visit Google Maps and find a section you want to save.
- Click on the extension icon at the top of your browser window and choose to capture the whole page, visible area only, or a specific selection.
- Save, share, and print your images as desired.
- Take full or partial screen captures
- Save pictures in JPG
- Easy to email, upload, or print on the fly
- Only works on Google Chrome
How to take a screenshot of Google Maps using an online tool
Best for: Full-screen captures
There are also online tools like Screenshot Guru which can take URLs of sites and pages you want to capture and make screenshot image files from those links, without the need for any downloads or installations.
Here's how to take a screenshot with Screenshot Guru:
- Visit Google Maps and find the area you want to save.
- Copy the URL of the webpage for the part of Google Maps you want to save.
- Then head to the official Screenshot Guru site and paste the URL into the box provided.
- Complete the captcha, if necessary, and click on the Screen Capture button.
- The site will then save a shot of the URL you provided, which you can save to your device before taking another shot.
- Useful for full-screen captures
- No downloads or installations needed
- Works across all major browsers and platforms
- Only useful for full-screen captures
- Lacks editing and options
- Doesn't always capture the exact screen you expected
How to take a screenshot of Google Maps on iOS
Best for: iOS users
If you're on an iOS device like an iPhone, you can use the physical buttons on the sides of your device to capture screenshots too. This is a quick and easy option for Apple device owners.
Follow these steps to capture your screen with a built-in feature on your iOS device.
- Open the Google Maps app on your iOS device and find the area you want to capture.
- If you're using iPhone 8 or an earlier device, press and hold the Top or Side button, then press the Home button, then release the two buttons at the same time.
- If you're on iPhone X or a newer device, hold the Side button down on the right of the device, then press the Volume Up button on the other side and then release the two buttons at the same time.
- Your screenshot should appear and be saved automatically.
- Quick and convenient for iPhone users
- Saves files automatically to the device
- No downloads or extra app installations needed
- Can be tricky to remember the button combinations
How to take a screenshot of Google Maps on Android
Best for: Android users
If you're on the Android platform using a device like a Samsung or Google smartphone, you can also use button combinations to take screenshots of whatever is on your screen at the time.
Here's how to take a screenshot on an Android device:
- Open the Google Maps app on your Android phone or tablet.
- Browse the app to find the area you want to capture.
- When you're ready to take a screenshot, press the Power and Volume Down buttons together at the same time.
- The screenshot should be automatically generated and saved in a Screenshots folder in your Gallery.
- A simple option for Android owners
- No need to download or install additional apps
- Files are automatically saved, ready to be shared, edited, or printed
- Button combinations may vary on different devices, depending on the system UI
Comparison table of all options
|Hotkeys||Speed and simplicity|
|Snipping Tool||Capturing screen segments|
|Movavi Screen Recorder||Versatility|
|Browser Print Feature||Making PDF screenshots|
|Movavi ScreenShot||Chrome users|
|Screenshot Guru||Full-screen captures|
|Built-in iOS Feature||IOS users|
|Built-in Android Feature||Android users|
View all options Hide the table
Frequently asked questions
Can I take a screenshot of Google Maps?
Yes, it's perfectly possible to take screenshots of Google Maps to use for navigational purposes or share with friends and family. There is a wide range of tools and programs you can use for this, including hotkeys, Movavi Screen Recorder, and Snipping Tool.
How do you take a screenshot of Google Maps in Chrome?
If you're using the Chrome browser to visit Google Maps pages, you can install the Movavi ScreenShot browser extension to take full screenshots with the click of a button. You can also make use of the browser's own print feature to capture the current screen.
How do you take a screenshot of Google Earth on a PC?
You can use the Snipping Tool on your Windows PC. Just follow these steps:
- Find the part of Google Earth you want to capture.
- Open the Snipping Tool program from your device.
- Click on the New button to start a new capture.
- Drag out the rectangle to cover the area of the screen you want to capture.
- Save your captured image file in a convenient location.
Sign up for news and special offers